Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Modview 2.5?

Page: 1 of 1
 STRATERCAS
12-15-2003, 5:51 PM
I have MODVIEW 2.5 and it won't view .glm files or anything for that matter. I want to get into skinning, I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong or if I have a broken version of this software.

Is there a setup process I'm not aware of?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Also would I benifit from going to a earlyer version if I could find one?
 [FotF]Maddog
12-18-2003, 3:04 PM
ModView Tutorial

By

Maddog

What you are going to need to get started:
JKA Installed on your PC
JKA ModView Installed on your PC
Winzip Installed on your PC

Here is a little tutorial I have whipped up concerning ModView and getting it set up. First off we all, need to have our JKA game installed. The second step will be to visit this link http://www.jk2files.com/file.info?ID=18807) and download the Modeling/Skinning Guide and Tools supplied by Raven. After the download has finished, open the zip file and extract it to
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\tools.
Be sure to extract them to this directory or they will not work. Then we are going to need a zip program; I use Winzip. A trial version is available at this link http://www.winzip.com/ddchomea.htm;) install the program onto your computer. Before you go opening up ModView there is one more thing you need to do before you get started. Open up the assets1.pk3 that can be found in this directory:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\Gamedata\base.
Then you will see a list of all of the files within, click on the tab labeled “Name.” This sorts the files by name A-Z and the first file should be _humanoid.gla. Drag this file to this directory
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\Gamedata\base\models\players\_humanoid.
You might need to create the _humanoid folder.

Now you are almost ready to use ModView. You will need some models and skins to work on; you can obtain these on the Internet at such sites as http://www.jk2files.com) or http://www.jediknight.net/) or http://www.pcgamemods.com/or) you can use the ones that are included in the game. To do this you will need to open up the assets1.pk3 and extract all of the files to a new folder on your desktop or where ever you choose by using WinZip. In the new folder go into the directory //models/players and copy the folder or the file that you would like to edit and place it in
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\Gamedata\base\models\players. I always leave a copy of the original just in case. It is also a good idea to extract the shader files to this directory
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\Gamedata\base\shaders. Which are also in the assets1.pk3.

Now you can open the file in ModView by going to C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\Gamedata\Tools and open the ModView.exe enclosed. Click on the file tab, then open, and then browse for the file, which should be in this directory:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\Gamedata\base\models\players, and this directory only, then open the model.glm. You will get a message saying it can not read the “texture/common/caps” and it will ask if you still want to receive this message for this model, click yes or no. It’s up to you; I clicked no. If you would like to stop receiving this message make a folder in this directory:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\Gamedata\base\texture\common and extract the caps JPEG image that is also found in the assets1.pk3.

Now you are all set. Left-click and drag your mouse on the screen to rotate the skin, right-click your mouse and drag to zoom in and out, and left-click while holding the “Alt” key to move the skin vertically or horizontally. On the upper-lefthand side underneath the toolbar (file, edit, view, etc… tabs) there is a white box with a file tree entitled model.glm. Click on the boxed “+” to expand it and show the trees (subdirectories); click on a boxed “–” to collapse that tree. This has now opened a few more trees: “Surfaces”, “Tag Surfaces”, “Bones”, “Skins available”, and “Sequences (from animation.cfg)”. If you open “Surfaces and ////////stupidtriangle_off, a few more trees open up with body parts like hips, legs, torso, etc… all of these are can be opened and help identify which parts are which and where they are.

Now onto the buttons underneath the toolbar (file, edit, view, etc… tabs), these buttons look like the buttons on your stereo: rewind, frame decrement, stop, frame advance, play, play with force wrap, go to end frame, play faster and play slower. After this set of buttons you will find a few more: “Reset Viewpos”, that resets your view position; “Tex” button, that refreshes the textures; and “Cycle FOV”, that brings the skin forward and backward.

Now if you would like you can extract the weapons from the assets1.pk3 and place them in this directory:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\Gamedata\base\models\weapons2. This will allow you to view the weapons in ModView separately or allow you to bolt them to a model’s hand in the program as well, I find this helpful for making wallpaper and icons.

Now to correctly bolt a weapon to a player or bolt a player to a vehicle open the tree: “Tag Surfaces” as explained above and right click you mouse over “*l_hand or *r_hand” and go down to “Bolt model tag to this surface (deleting any other already here) and now the browse for the file menu will prompt you for the location of the files and they will be in the directory from the last step:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\Gamedata\base\models\weapons2. To remove the bolts that you have applied right click on the “*l_hand or *r_hand” and go down to “Delete all models bolted to this tag surface. You can also open vehicles in ModView that can be found in the assets1.pk3 in the models\players directory. To add a model to a rancor, mutant_rancor, swoop, tauntaun and so on open the desired model, lets go with the tauntaun. Open the tauntaun the same way you would any other model and open the tree: “Tag Surfaces” and right click you mouse over “*driver” and place a model from the following directory:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\Gamedata\base\models\players to get to the proper riding animations I suggest speeding up the FPS by clicking the Play faster button underneath the toolbar. The correct riding animations can be found at around 19382/21376 for swoops and 19879/21376 for tauntauns. You can add weapons to the model you have bolted on to the vehicle by clicking on the “Boltons” tree that will appear underneath the original model tree and following the process described above, you would remove the bolts from each model separately by using the same method as mentioned above.

There are a few more options available under the edit and view buttons along the top like the option to change the background color and the ability to take screenshots and where to save them to. This is a pretty much all you really need to know to get started and use ModView to test your progress of your work.

Good luck on you skins, I hope this has helped you. Feel free to pass this around, just give me a little credit.

Thanks

Maddog
E-Mail: slelionis@comcast.net
MSN: Messenger: slelionis@comcast.net
AOL: Instant Messenger: slelionis
Yahoo: icopmaddog

Proofread and Edited by FurySpawN
 STRATERCAS
12-18-2003, 11:49 PM
Thanks your a life saver.
Page: 1 of 1