Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Bottomless pits in JA

Page: 1 of 1
 |GG|Carl
12-11-2003, 12:41 PM
How to create a bottomless pit in JA? Like when the camera zooms out, everything gets black, you hear a loud scream etc.

This (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/br201lsn4.html) doesn't seem work in JA. But maybe I'm just doing something terrible wrong.
 WadeV1589
12-11-2003, 7:24 PM
Set the dmg value to -1, that enables the falling fade effect.
 idontlikegeorge
12-11-2003, 8:50 PM
Doesn't work for me with JA. I set the trigger_hurt with the key/value dmg/-1 and it restores 1 hp every server frame.

It even says in the entity comments: "If dmg is set to -1 this brush will use the fade-kill method" - but still, it doesn't. I've also tried all combinations of availible spawnflags with the dmg/-1 value, and it still doesn't work correctly.

I'm using Gtk 1.3.13 for Academy.
 Lil Killa
12-11-2003, 9:37 PM
Originally posted by idontlikegeorge
Doesn't work for me with JA. I set the trigger_hurt with the key/value dmg/-1 and it restores 1 hp every server frame.

It even says in the entity comments: "If dmg is set to -1 this brush will use the fade-kill method" - but still, it doesn't. I've also tried all combinations of availible spawnflags with the dmg/-1 value, and it still doesn't work correctly.

I'm using Gtk 1.3.13 for Academy.

make sure your not in Single Player..
 Jedi Luke
12-12-2003, 12:04 AM
Just remember that the sp.exe and the mp.exe are two different engines. Therefore, it is important not to add SP functions to a MP map and vice-versa. Is this a map for mp or sp?
 |GG|Carl
12-12-2003, 1:18 PM
I do create a MP map, and I do use the MP funktions in GTK Radiant.

I've thought about it, and I haven't seen falling deaths in any new JA maps...
 GothiX
12-12-2003, 1:35 PM
I used the method described by Wade in Orbital Extreme (http://www.pcgamemods.com/3267), and it sure did work.
 idontlikegeorge
12-12-2003, 5:48 PM
How about for SP?

I used the dmg/-1 value, because it does not have the spawnflag toggles for lockcam and/or falling, and since the entity comments state "If dmg is set to -1 this brush will use the fade-kill method" I assumed it was set to perform the same way in SP now, as well.

Obviously not the case. Anybody know how to do this in SP? Without the spawnflag toggles, it doesn't look right, the player just dies - the falling animation and camera is really needed.

I was thinking, perhaps the same spawnflags are still there (from the JO trigger_hurt), even though the checkbox/toggles aren't - but I'm not sure what the spawnflags were (numerical value wise) for the JO entity, and/or if the spawnflags would work for the JA entity.
 |GG|Carl
12-14-2003, 8:44 AM
Originally posted by gothicX
I used the method described by Wade in Orbital Extreme (http://www.pcgamemods.com/3267), and it sure did work.
Allright, I'll just have to try again...
 Steinin
12-27-2003, 10:12 AM
I new here and I'm having the same problem. There are no lockcam and falling properties for the trigger_hurt. I've tried experimenting a bit with the spawnflag but to no luck yet.
Could anyone tell me how I could fix this.

Could anyone also direct me to some JA mapping tutorials because I can't seem to find any... Thanks in advance.
 |GG|Carl
12-27-2003, 1:51 PM
This (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/) tutorial is for JO, but most things are the same in JA.
 fattysbox
12-27-2003, 5:42 PM
This seems like a timely topic,

I also want to make a bottomless pit in JA but is rather large and irregularly shaped. I haven't gotten to the lockcam and trigger_hurt yet, but I have another question:

I want this pit to be pitch black, but I dont want to put in 50 light entities (negative values of course) making it this way. Is there a way to make a brush that has the same effect as a pitch black space? or am I going to have to do it with entities?
 giganerd
12-28-2003, 12:51 AM
Maybe try some black fog?
 Steinin
12-28-2003, 11:24 AM
I managed to create this falling effect. I maximised the entity option window when I was looking for another trigger that could cause this effect and suddenly there Lockcam and falling was.
If you can't find those try to set these settings:

classname: trigger_hurt
dmg: 0
spawnflags: 56
 [SASH]Nathan
12-28-2003, 4:47 PM
''I want this pit to be pitch black, but I dont want to put in 50 light entities (negative values of course) making it this way. Is there a way to make a brush that has the same effect as a pitch black space? or am I going to have to do it with entities?''

go to textures/colours and then select black, texture yur pit half way down or so with the texture u want then use the black texture for the rest, you really only need negative light values if you are using ambient lighting but tbh ambient lighting sucks and is a bad habit ( one im guilty of too :P ) juyst light the top part of your pit, add a fog brush just above the black texture you apllied and there you go, cool looking bottemless pit :)
 fattysbox
12-28-2003, 7:16 PM
Great, I'll give it a go!!

Thanks
Page: 1 of 1