Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Can you play the wav.-files -- I cannot!!

Page: 1 of 1
 klagga
12-08-2003, 7:47 PM
I play roleplaying games (pen and paper) and like to use gamemusic in my adventures, and was looking forward to be able to play the individual wav.-files, that Jeremy Soule has composed. But all the time I get the message that the files are in some way corrupted, or, the Win MediaPlayer just stops. Any idea why?

I have Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind and there never was any problem to play those files.
 Burrie
12-09-2003, 9:56 PM
You'll have to rename all the files from .wav to .mp3. Then use a program like Winamp to play them(I've heard, but can't confirm that the files don't work under Media Player).

And if I might add, the music that Soule composed for KotOR really adds to the experience. I was rather curious about what kind of music he could create for a Star Wars enviroment. I had only heard his Neverwinter Nights songs which were moderatley good. Funny thing is, I can remember seeing the Jango Fett Bounty Hunter trailer, and near the end, it had this 'mysterious eeeevil' music. I can remember hearing it and thinking "Damn, that's some good Sith music... but wait, that wasn't in Episode 1 or 2... where'd they got it from?". After a bit of research, I found out that Soule had composed some extra music for Bounty Hunter, and I already had a lot more faith into the man for Star Wars music.

And he truly delivered. The Republic theme is very inspiring, I always found Bastila's theme to be touching, and the music for the final fight is "Duel of the Fates" material, if you ask me. It perfectly suits the situation.
 isobel ebon
12-18-2003, 3:53 PM
so i'm trying to change the wav files to mp3... first of all do you need a program to do this? second, if you don't, then how the heck to you change file extentions in xp??? it doesn't seem to let you get in there to change anything.

thanks!
 juv3nal
12-19-2003, 8:45 AM
i dunno how you do it in xp, but first of all does it show file extensions for you in windows explorer?

if it does, you can just right-click on the file and rename it.
if it doesn't then you probably first have to get it to show the extensions, there ought to be a setting for that somewhere in folder options if its not too different from previous versions of windows.
 Kaufman
12-29-2003, 11:46 PM
hey guys. Maybe you could help me with my problem: I converted those .wav in .mp3 but all my players (winamp 5.0, media9 and real one) don't want to play it. Do I need audio codecs?
 Feza
12-30-2003, 1:25 AM
Hiya!

Try the Miles Sound Player, I can't remember the address, but
it should be available from the RAD video/BINK tools site.

(I'm not on my home comp atm else I'd have it linked for you)

The Miles sound player will play the files as is, with out having to change to MP3.

It also plays all the dialog from the "Streamwaves" file in KotOR too.

I found a bunch of dialog from Juhani that I didn't know was there, and I've played 4 games now and haven't triggered it
in-game, but that could be my playstyle hasn't made her talkative.

It has her giving descriptions of the planets for example, and some talk about not liking Canderous... can anyone tell me what I need to do to get her to speak up?

Feza
 Kaufman
12-30-2003, 11:15 AM
great it works thx Feza
 DarkLord60
01-03-2004, 7:46 PM
It works but is there a faster way of doing this?
 Aerriona
01-22-2004, 8:23 PM
I can't seem to get Miles player to work. I've installed it and tried to play the wav files but the file sounds like it is skipping.

any suggestions?

Aerriona
 Greatstar
01-22-2004, 9:39 PM
Originally posted by Aerriona
I can't seem to get Miles player to work. I've installed it and tried to play the wav files but the file sounds like it is skipping.

any suggestions?

Aerriona

I had problem too! I tried to play but like skipping sound, I tried play like Mission groan when she was taking damage from melee attack.
 k0la
01-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by DarkLord60
It works but is there a faster way of doing this?

fastest way to rename them from wav to mp3 would be to open a command prompt, goto the directory where u have the .wav and use:

rename *.wav *.mp3

if you dunno how to use command prompt make a new *.txt type the same thing and save it as XXX.bat (not txt) place it where u got ur wavs then doubleclick the xxx.bat

-k0la
gцb gцb
 ExcelsioN
01-23-2004, 7:07 PM
In fact, its a lot easier than any of this.

All you need to do is to download the Miles Sound Studio (it comes with the Sound Player). Open it, and go to your KOTOR directory. Click one of the wav files (I've only tried it on music) and then click the 'Decompress' button. Then open the new file and you can play it using Windows Media Player.
 jordie8472
01-26-2004, 12:53 AM
Has anyone tried bruning the files to CD while they were still in wav format? If so, does it work? Which files should I burn to make a good soundtrack?

Also, why are some of the files silent, when played on Miles Sound Player?
 Zgred_2
02-05-2004, 11:26 AM
The miles sound system compresses the files, leaving them as wavs. When you download the sound tools, open the games wavs in the sound studio, and hit decompress. That way you'll have a normal 20 MB wav, which you can burn to a CD as CDA or encode as a mp3. About the silence, well, they're just silent files:D (I think).
Page: 1 of 1