Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Unbelievably slow framerate!

Page: 1 of 1
 Samus
12-04-2003, 1:31 PM
I run at 1024x768. I have everything else turned on. My FPS varies between 20 and 50, but mostly it's around 30. Look at my sytem specs below. Shouldn't my computer perform better than this? I just talked to someone with PC far behind mine in configs: 2,4Ghz and GeForce4 Ti4800 SE. Not sure about his RAM. He told me he runs at 1920x1440 with EVERYTHING ON (even dynamic glow and volumetric shadows), and he gets about/almost 100 FPS!!! :eek: Any thoughts on this?
 Crow_Nest
12-05-2003, 8:33 AM
im running:

AMD Athlon XP2000+ 1.6GHz
GeForce FX 5700 Ultra 128MB DDR (With latest drivers)
SB Audigy Gamer
512MB RAM

Normally for me, i get 30-50 fps. Sometimes higher then 60 and i could hit 80-90+ (Almost 100) . Drops to 20-30 when there are alot of things happening.

I have all details maxed, dynamic glow on with projected shadows, video sync off.

Could be his driver, could be his AGP. Or he used Riva Tuner to overclock his card.
 Samus
12-05-2003, 5:12 PM
Well, I've tried lots of drivers: 3.1 (I think), 3.4, 3.7, 3.9
Same low FPS with all drivers. I have not overclocked my card. What do you mean could be wrong with the AGP? (And what exactly is AGP? I've never found a proper explanation for it.)
 Crow_Nest
12-06-2003, 4:37 AM
If you have tried all the drivers, but get same frame rate, that means he must have use some software (Take riva tuner for an example) or something to overclock his card.
 Samus
12-06-2003, 11:06 AM
What are you talkking about, and why do you keep saying "he"? I have not overclocked my card in any way.
 Crow_Nest
12-06-2003, 1:11 PM

Im saying that he overclocked his card.

If you are having low fps, lower the AA and shadows to simple, none or projected.

And turn video sync off

EDIT: Getting 20-50 fps on a radeon 9800 pro is very bad. Most people get 100+

I use a GeForce FX 5700 Ultra 128MB DDR

Im getting 50 fps for normally, 70-90 for some maps like the swoop map or hoth. hits 90-100+ with dynamicglow off.

I updated my AGP driver and some other things and ran 3D mark 2003, and the amount of 3D marks increased from 2000 something to 3000+
 Andy867
12-07-2003, 4:43 PM
AGP, or Accelerated Graphics Port, was a concept developed a few years ago, where video card manufacturers and mother board manufacturers got together and thought up a way to relieve the CPU of having to control the video calculations AND the normal calculations done, so by placing a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) onto the video card, the CPU for the PC was able to get back to processing the algorithms and processes without having to expend resources for the video card and what it had to accomplish.
But anyways... Are you getting this slow framerate in SP, MP, or both. In SP, what you could do, besides turning off AA and the shadows is also go into the control section and under mouse/other, disable Force Feedback, (although I think in the latest patch, is is turned to default, but cant say for sure since I always have it off.) Also, how much RAM do you have in your computer, and what operating system is installed on the computer than you run Jedi Academy on? Have you tried running a DirectX Diagnosis (go to start, run, and type in "dxdiag" withouit quotations and press enter) and see if that lists any video/audio conflicts, or if there is any other area that shows conflict.
 Samus
12-22-2003, 9:34 PM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
Im saying that he overclocked his card.

Oh, sorry. I was obviosuly not wide awake there.

I said I have everything on. I forgot: I don't use any anti-aliasing, and video sync is off. Turning off dynamic glow and volumetric shadows helps tremendously, but then it looks so dull. This just seems so weird when the minimum specs are 450Mhz, 128 MB RAM and 32MB graphics. I paid a lot of money for that computer so I could play games with all the eye-candy, and it puzzles me that a game running on a four-year-old engine runs this badly. Yes, I know it's heavily modified, but still... Take Max Pyne 2 for instance. That game I run at 1600x1200 with everything at the highest setting (except for AA, which is at 4, not 6). It runs perfectly smooth!

Oh, I use Windows XP.
 Crow_Nest
12-23-2003, 2:59 AM
I still dont know how the hell can you get 50 fps on a high end card like that. My comp is way slower then urs, i have lesser RAM and your card is better then mine. I can hit 200+ fps with dynamicglow off. 50-90 with it on (Depends on map)

So maybe you accidently down-clocked your card without thinking.
 Andy867
12-23-2003, 3:22 AM
Have you updated to the latest patch (v1.01) that helps with ATI Radeon users, and it also turns off Force Feedback under the control options which was a HUGE performance killer.
 Samus
12-23-2003, 8:16 AM
Yep, I use the patch.
 [BK] U
12-23-2003, 7:43 PM
Got the same problem - i'm running a Radeon 9600 and get crappy FPS while my brother is getting 60-70 on his GeForce 400 MX! There must be some kind of leak in JA's coding that causes this...
 Andy867
12-23-2003, 8:05 PM
Well, ATI just released their 3.10 drivers not too long ago, so try those and see if they help.
 Crow_Nest
12-24-2003, 5:18 AM
If your brother has high fps then maybe his CPU is faster, or overclocked his video card. If you get lower fps then him on a better card that means your CPU must be slower then his.

Are you using Cat3.9? If so update to 3.10 like Andy said. :) But they may or may not improve performance. The new nvidia drivers only boosted my fps by a bit, so you might get the same thing too.
Page: 1 of 1