Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Flares

Page: 1 of 1
 WJTW
11-29-2003, 7:04 AM
Does anyone who used 'q3map_flare' find it frustrating? I hope someone who doesn't would help me out.

It is for me. Why? Well, I inserted the command into the shader file of a particular light shader. It worked well, with the flares there. Now, I copied and pasted that section of the shader into a new shader file, and added a '2' behind, just so I can differentiate it (with matching names for the texture.)
Here's where the problem appear. I loaded the game, and in the console, it said that the command "q3map_flare" was unknown. But is that possible? I have everything exactly the same words in both shader entries, so, how can one be working and the other not?

In the test map, I have two shaders/textures for the lights, one is the original, and the other was using the '2' texture. The original had the flare, but the '2' didn't.

And what's strange is that when I made a test room solely using the '2's, the flares appeared, but this time, I removed the 'q3map_flare' command from the '2' entry!

Usually, I use Jk2Radiant (I only use it because GTkRadiant couldn't load.), and so, had the JK2 textures loaded instead. I made sure, however, that the shader files from both JK2 and JA will mirror each other (so they would work in both games similarly.), but this time, I didn't remove the 'q3mao_flare' command for the '2' entry in the JK2 one, but I did for the JA one... does the compilation read from the JK2 directory instead?

I hope I didn't write the description above too messily.

Any help?

Thanks,
WJTW
 WJTW
11-30-2003, 8:05 AM
Erm... help, anyone? 17 views and not even one reply... :(
 WadeV1589
11-30-2003, 11:33 AM
Can't reply if we've got nothing appropriate to say :p

I may be able to say something soon though...will be using this in my 'dream' map but for now, soz man, I know nothing on the subject!
 Greymon
12-01-2003, 5:51 PM
I've used flares many times but I usually place them on point lights and not in shaders. I've never written a shader with that command in it, but if you post the two you are referring to, maybe we can see something. I'm not really sure where you've added the 2 you keep mentioning. Also, make sure you have your shader listed in the shaderlist.txt.

If you're using jk2radiant, that could be your problem. It very likely is reading from the jk2 directory. Compiling for JA requires '-game ja' to be in the q3map2 compile line and requires the project directory to be set correctly.

Have you tried the latest gtkradiant? 1.3.13? I do believe that fixed some of the problems for people who could not get it to run. I think it fixed the problem where people could not get radiant to run if their desktop was 16-bit colors.
Page: 1 of 1