Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

triggering lights

Page: 1 of 1
 [SASH]Nathan
11-27-2003, 3:35 AM
hi all, i need some help with a map im making, i need to make a light that starts off but is triggered randomly and is only on for a second before going to its off state again, basicly im using this for lightning. any ideas of how to acheive this pls? thanks in advance for any help, Nathan
 WadeV1589
11-27-2003, 12:27 PM
How about using one of the light styles? You can even make your own customised light style to get close to what you want.

In the worldspawn type a key/value pair of something like
"_style1rgbgen" "wave square 0 1 0 0.5"

This will alternate the light from -1 to 1 (only 1 will have an effect) once every two seconds. It goes wave [type] [base] [amplitude] [phase] [frequency] Where frequency is number of times per second. Other valid types are sin, triangle, sawtooth, inversesawtooth and random. You may want to try random as well.

For the light you want to use this effect select it, press N and type a key/value pair of
"_style" "1"

This saves need for any extra entities and script and can usually give you what you want.
 [SASH]Nathan
11-27-2003, 4:32 PM
thank you wade :D just what i was looking for :)
 [SASH]Nathan
11-27-2003, 8:00 PM
been messing around with your idea but i cant seem to get it to work, but i am only using a test compile, am i missing anything? i have changed the name to "_style" "15" and i am using the randow type.

"_style15rgbGen" and "wave random 0 1 0 0.2" is what im typing in on worldspawn with

"_style" "15" as thekey/vlaues on the light, and i am removing the " when i add it :)

thanks for any help, nathan :)
 [SASH]Nathan
11-28-2003, 4:28 AM
found another way of doing it because i couldnt get it to work :P
dunno why i didnt do this before its so obvoius lol i described how in this post :

http://www.map-center.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1992)
 WadeV1589
11-28-2003, 1:35 PM
At a guess, it may only work up to _style9rgbgen. This is a guess but worth a shot.
 [SASH]Nathan
11-28-2003, 1:42 PM
ill give it another go :) brothers birthday today tho so first thing is to get drunk :P
 WadeV1589
11-28-2003, 3:00 PM
Go you! Have one for me as I haven't been to the pub for so long it isn't even funny!
Page: 1 of 1