Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hey 8 of 12, any tips for someone about to...

Page: 1 of 1
 The Adventurer
11-26-2003, 4:25 AM
...begin production of their very own Radio Play?

Scripts not quite finished but it's getting there, title is The Adventures of Stanley Bickford, Certified Exterminator about an unlikely hero who all ways seems to find himself cought up in some CrazyCrap (TM).

I'm doing this on a majorly tight budget, Basicly I've got a desent Computer Microphone, Wave Recorder, a copy of Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/), and a script. When I get the script finalized for the first episode I might be looking for voice actors, I'll be sure to post here when that happens.

So 8 of 12 Any tips you can give me?

How about some links to a Sound Effect web site so I can get some Effects?
 Sallim
11-26-2003, 6:11 AM
Hey soundґs cool...
Crazy crap =)
This is a good start I think.

Good luck!
 Incredible_d
11-26-2003, 8:32 PM
Glad to see that others are doing their own plays. I'd be happy to do anything since I too have microphone.

On this same note, I was in the thought process (Very early as in I don't even have any characters yet) for a parody of The Matrix; of course in radio form. I have only three characters so far and one of them is really badly defined. Since I meant it to sort of do to "The Matrix" what Lost Cause did to "Star Wars," could you give me any tips on how you made the characters? I thought some of the beauty of Lost Cause was that it's humor was completely unrelated to Star Wars: Number Two is the best example. None of the characters is really a parody: Lube acts nothing like Luke, Ham acts nothing like Han. And that was the funny part. Is that something I should follow?

I am not just saying this because The Adwenturer brought it up; Holdios and Bossmilky can vouch that I already thought up of "The Matrix Parody" (I cannot find a good title and I've really tried).

And 8, I hope that trying to have a "Lost Cause" of "the Matrix" doesn't offend you; I know we'll never do as good as Lost Cause. I'm not being Scampdog here I hope you know that.
 The Adventurer
11-27-2003, 4:30 AM
Nameing the thing is easy. You just take a funny relevent word and slap -Trix at the end. Naming Matrix knock off Characters....that's trickier. depending how far you're deviating from the source material will define how much simmilar character names need to be. Is it a scene by scene reinactment, with twisted situations and one-liners? If that is the case naming the characters with ryming or variations of the accual characters they're based on would be best. Or are you just taking the Matrix consept and building something entirly new? In that case the characters DON'T have to have related names.

Speaking of Parody projects before I settled on Stanley Bicksford (which, insedently, had for the longest time been My Amatur Adventure project that was always on the back burner due to my inability to draw) I was tossing around the idea of a Back to the Future parody titled Jacked to the Future staring intrepid timetraveler Harry McBerry, a very bad Car theif, and a young stuggling Bill Gates

Still an option for someday....
 Holdios
11-27-2003, 7:21 PM
You might wanna check out http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/)
 MJ
11-30-2003, 8:04 AM
Ah, so it's trade secrets you want, hmmm?

Pretty much, my budget is around the same as yours. I don't make any money doing projects for Nightlight, which is why it's so difficult. The one thing it has in it's favour is that I lucky enough to have access to a radio station with recording equipment. I use their equipment for recording. I use my own computer for editing, to be specific, the program is called Cool Edit 2000, which I will have to update now that it's been bought out by Adobe and is now called something different. As for sound effects, I can't be much help, sorry. I have access to a CD sound effects library called The Hollywood Edge - it equates to about 50cds. So maybe there's some merits to the website that Holdy suggested.

If there's one that you really can't find, let me know. I might be able to help you.

As for me getting all shirty about people making their own parodies about whatever, let me just say that I don't mind. I honestly don't. Heck, I'd want to hear them. Scamp was a bit of a special exception. As soon as he was chosen to be in Beneath Monkey Island, he decided to go off and make his own radio show about Monkey Island. I think I had grounds to be annoyed about that. :)

As for parodies not being much like the original, hopefully one day you will be able to hear Lost Cause III - Darth Vapour and the Fantabulous Dud Star which is more like a fast food version of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory than Star Wars.
Page: 1 of 1