Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Breath and Dust FX

Page: 1 of 1
 DeepFish
11-23-2003, 11:44 AM
Anyone out there know how to get the Breath and Dust effects showing in a level?
I'm working on an outdoor Hoth style level so the two effects will help a lot. :)
 Greymon
11-23-2003, 2:53 PM
Are you mapping for SP or MP? Some of the weather features and effects don't work in MP. I'm not certain which.

If you go into SP mapping mode in radiant, you'll have spawnflag boxes under fx_snow and fx_rain that will give you mist (I assume thats what you mean by dust.) Or if you don't like that mist, (or it doesn't work in MP) try using a global fog in the worldspawn. Add a key of 'fog' with the value the fog shader you want to use. I would recommend you try 'fog textures/fogs/Hoth2fog'

Breath is activated through the worldspawn. Add a key/value of 'breath 2' to get cold breath.
 DeepFish
11-23-2003, 3:32 PM
With Dust I ment the particules that the player kicks up running across a snowy/ dusty terrain. Thanx for the worldspawn bit about breath.
Although it does make my level a bit sluggish now any ideas?:confused:
Would dust be enable the same way? Oh yeah and its an sp level.
 Zer0-L0giC
11-23-2003, 6:20 PM
If you want the surface to have one of those effects, it needs to have a shader for it. Example below:

textures/hoth/blast_panel2
{
qer_editorimage textures/hoth/blast_panel2
q3map_material SolidMetal
{
map textures/imperial/etest3
tcGen environment
}
{
map textures/hoth/blast_panel2
blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
}
{
map $lightmap
blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
}
}

q3map_material is what you use to determine the type of surface it is, what effect to play, and what sound to play.

some other examples besides solidmetal are: ice, snow, rock, gravel, mud, shortgrass, dirt and water...you can find the rest in the .shader files.
Page: 1 of 1