Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Making Trees

Page: 1 of 1
 Mr. Chopper
11-17-2003, 7:47 PM
Okay, how do I do this? I'm using the textures in the yavin folder, and I can make a tree trunk just fine, but it's the leaves that I'm having trouble with......... ideas, anyone?
 lassev
11-17-2003, 9:24 PM
Well, although you probably could build your trees that way, it might not be worth the trouble. Why don't you just insert misc_models into your map. You can have that way a pretty good selection of different trees with no more work than selecting misc_model and browsing for the right directory (models/map_objects etc...). Then just clip the trunk if you don't want people running through it.
 Mr. Chopper
11-18-2003, 12:47 AM
I would, but when I place the models and test the map, I'm only seeing the trunk, not the leaves. :confused:
 71M
11-18-2003, 1:39 AM
I was doing some browsing in JKA's model directory with PakRat (A Mac only MD3 viewer).

The Yavin tree models consist of ONLY the trunks. There are no leaves actually on the MD3 model.
My guess is Raven placed the trunks into the map and then lined up several brushes that had the tree texture applied (Probably to only one side of the brush, leaving the others set to "nodraw") to them to the points where the leaves would be on the tree.

I don't know why they did this. Perhaps it allows more variety as different leaves can be applied.

So, my recommendation to you would be the same thing (Ie draw a brush that's located at the tip of the trunk, apply a nodraw shader texture to it, and then add a leaves texture to one of the main sides).

Hope that helps!!

-TiM
 Lil Killa
11-18-2003, 3:42 AM
My trees have leaves on them : /
 [SASH]Nathan
11-18-2003, 1:19 PM
i had problems with the tree models too, esp tree 6 !!! so what i did was take the leave tga files out of assests, rename it and turn it into a trans, 2 sided shader , then make a brush outta system/nodraw and cover one side in the leave texture. copy a few times then rotate them rnd to form a tree like shape, build yur trunk and compile, should work sweet as a nut ( best to build this sep. from yur map so u can quickly bsp and test it )
 zeimi
11-19-2003, 4:19 AM
Most of the yavin trees with _b in their name don't work without doing something additional. I made a list about those trees and will post it later today.

Edit:
These are the trees that didn't work:
models/map_objects/yavin/tree8.md3
models/map_objects/yavin/tree05_b.md3
models/map_objects/yavin/tree06_b.md3
models/map_objects/yavin/tree08_b.md3
models/map_objects/yavin/tree09_b.md3
models/map_objects/yavin/tree10_b.md3
 lauser
11-21-2003, 7:36 PM
Hey thnx for starting this Chopper!! It's great to know I'm not the only one going insane!! I used patch meshes for my LEAVES but changing the trans is a good idea. Can you post the shader file that you got working there 71M? I can make my own I guess and post it here. Other than that I was using 2 patchs back to back and reversing the texture.....which doesn't look good ingame so yeah I'll fool around with the shader and let you know.
 [SASH]Nathan
11-22-2003, 2:13 AM
textures/matrixv2/arena_one_tree
{
surfaceparm nonsolid
cull none
surfaceparm trans

{
map textures/matrixv2/arena_one_tree.tga
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
alphaFunc GE128
depthWrite