Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dedicated server problem

Page: 1 of 1
 BarmyBam
11-16-2003, 12:32 PM
Like many guys that i have talked to, i can run a JK2 server and ppl can join, yet when i run a jka server, some ppl can join while others can't even see my server. I have downloaded the latest patch and so have they so why can they not join or even see my server?
I am on a home betwork, but tha never hindered anything before, plz help me! All ideas would be welocme

Thx
-BarmyBam-
 Bilbo Skywalker
11-16-2003, 12:41 PM
give them your IP

you can get it at

www.whatismyip.com)

and assuming you are using the default port of 29070

then in the console they should write

connect YOUR-IP:29070

they should be able to connect

you should all get all-seeing eye too

www.udpsoft.com/eye)

they should be able to see your server their too.
 BarmyBam
11-16-2003, 1:08 PM
i have already got ASE and i have given them my up, but they just cannot connect. :(

I must have set up things properly if other guys can join it, just why can;'t my friends :(
 Bilbo Skywalker
11-16-2003, 3:01 PM
did they try using

connect YOUR-IP:29070 ?

if so, then do yo uhave a firewall running? if you do then turn it off first.
 BarmyBam
11-16-2003, 4:10 PM
yeah, i will try that, but how come some ppl, can actually connect while others can't?
 Bilbo Skywalker
11-16-2003, 4:20 PM
and they all definately have tyhe latest patch?
 BarmyBam
11-16-2003, 4:35 PM
yep, we have all been on the same server before (not mine though) so they must have the latest patch

EDIT: HOw can i tell what port i am using?
EDIT2: This is what the MP Console displayes when i run it.. so i take it i am using the 29070 port-

--- Common Initialization Complete ---
Winsock Initialized
Opening IP socket: localhost:29070
Hostname: luke
IP: 192.168.0.238
execing kazJA
execing jediMaps.cfg
------ Server Initialization ------
 Bilbo Skywalker
11-16-2003, 5:49 PM
yeh it is using that port, so tell your friends to type

connect 192.168.0.238:29070

they should be able to connect by that method.
 BarmyBam
11-16-2003, 6:24 PM
I've got them to do that, but now they get stuck at the awaiting conection screen :( This is really annoying!!!!!!
 Amidala from Chop Shop
11-17-2003, 1:42 AM
Originally posted by BarmyBam
yep, we have all been on the same server before (not mine though) so they must have the latest patch

EDIT: HOw can i tell what port i am using?
EDIT2: This is what the MP Console displayes when i run it.. so i take it i am using the 29070 port-

--- Common Initialization Complete ---
Winsock Initialized
Opening IP socket: localhost:29070
Hostname: luke
IP: 192.168.0.238
execing kazJA
execing jediMaps.cfg
------ Server Initialization ------

This is a common mistake. IP addresses in the 192.168.x.x range are for use on a local area network (LAN) only, and are not visible on The Internet As Bilbo suggested, go to http://www.whatismyip.com/) to determine your real IP address, then have your friends use that. Also try running your server "unpure" (sv_pure 0) and remove any third-party maps or skins from your GameData\Base folder until you get things sorted out.
 BarmyBam
11-17-2003, 4:07 PM
I've done all of that. I have tried to connect to my own server using my Internet IP and even i get stuck at my awating connection screen :(

if my server seems to be regsitering with the main servers i.e:

Sending heartbeat to masterjk3.ravensoft.com
Sending heartbeat to clanservers.net

... why can't anyone conect?
 Achilles87
11-17-2003, 4:52 PM
Do you us ea firewall program like ZoneAlarm? If so try turning that off and see if it'll work
 BarmyBam
11-17-2003, 5:46 PM
i don't have my firewall up, but my dad does on his computer, and i connect to the internet through his, could that be it?
 Achilles87
11-17-2003, 6:02 PM
Which is the main computer? Which computer has the main part of the modem? If your dad's is indeed the main computer then yeah that could be the problem
 BarmyBam
12-01-2003, 7:48 PM
I've given up with the server now..... i can't drop me dad'sfirewall cuz he won't lket me.. thx 4 all ur help anyways guys, much apreciated :D
 Andy867
12-21-2003, 6:00 AM
after using whatismyip check to see if its showing up on ASE, and what kind of connection do you have, and are you using a router from like linksys?
 BarmyBam
12-23-2003, 4:49 PM
The anti virus software that my dad has on his computer will not enable to to open ports... so 29070 will not work.... i think that may be the problem

Is there anyway that i can get 29070 to open?
 Andy867
12-23-2003, 5:53 PM
What kind of Anti-virus software is your dad using? and is there a router involved in your connection/LAN?
 BarmyBam
12-23-2003, 8:31 PM
PC-cillin is the antivirus....

i don't thiunk he use a router... i connect to his computer through a wireless network card.... his card conects into his pc through a USB port.... the broadband comes into his computer through the normal internet socket thingy in the back....

I think the only thing i need to be able to do is open 29070.... but i don't know how... Pc-cillin just doesn't let u do that (i don't think- though i have checked)
 Tagster
12-23-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by BarmyBam
I've done all of that. I have tried to connect to my own server using my Internet IP and even i get stuck at my awating connection screen :(

if my server seems to be regsitering with the main servers i.e:

... why can't anyone conect?

Mine also does this on my dedicated server. But the server still doesn't show up on the master internet server list... You can only connect to my server by me giving you my public ip address. I wish I knew why this is how it is. http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120190)
Page: 1 of 1