Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dewback W.I.P. Updates

Page: 2 of 2
 Pnut_Man
11-14-2003, 8:39 PM
(Just got the models today, i'm answering the questions included in the email.)

1: Dewback seems to be the right size, same goes for the N1.
2: Like some others have said, Dewback needs some reskinning, it's too Pink :p Darker colors would be appreciated. N1 skin seems fine to me, perhaps a chrome shader somewhat like the one used on vader's helmet? I haven't seen episode 1 in who knows how long so don't go by what i remember..hehe..
3: Animation is fine. Only concern is the 'running' animation for the Dewback. It seems to be almost gliding, perhaps those legs should be moving back and forth a bit faster?
4: Handling is fine. There's one problem though--The n1 moves way too slow, but i don't think this was meant...Just quicken that baby up and you'll have perfect control.
5: Compatablity - Aye it does work, but I had to delete Chair's Eopie..GOD DAMN VEHICLE LIMIT!!!!
 LightNinja
11-14-2003, 9:16 PM
i finished the skin, it looks now green i cant upload the photo, but if u want ill send ya by mail
 Usurpo
11-14-2003, 9:17 PM
and when my wing gets damiged, it spins around even though every thing else is on green, so basicly i am down right after get hit the first time

That is easy enough to fix. Somewhere in the coding is a damage level to be set for when the vehicle malfunctions. This can be altered, to change when the vehicle starts going nuts. Easy enough...
 LightNinja
11-15-2003, 8:06 AM
well, im doing a new skin based on the SWG dewback, here is a little video
Dewback Video (http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/media/SWG_creature_mount_final.mov)
 tFighterPilot
11-15-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by LightNinja
well, im doing a new skin based on the SWG dewback, here is a little video
Dewback Video (http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/media/SWG_creature_mount_final.mov) Did you get it in the mail also?

Anyway,
Dewback: Alright expept his pinknesh, great animation :D

N1-StarFighter: Make it a bit bigger, and change it's weapon to the Tie Fighter weapon.
 LightNinja
11-15-2003, 11:01 AM
First i changed the original skin from pink-green to green-darkgreen; but now im doing a new skin, making it looks more like a lizard, ill finish soon
 LightNinja
11-15-2003, 11:45 AM
Finished, now it looks more like a dewback ;)
http://es.geocities.com/lightninja20002000)
The shot 0011 was the first skin, 12 and 13 are the new ones.
 tFighterPilot
11-15-2003, 11:58 AM
Looks nice :)
 TK-8252
11-15-2003, 6:10 PM
Cool! An Eopie! Keep up the good work!

I think a Bantha could be in order... If it's not already being made.
 Usurpo
11-15-2003, 6:45 PM
.....its green...can we please get the real-look'n Dewbak, the brown/tan one?

On another note, has anyone figured out how to get past the annoying 12 limit vehicle thing?
 LightNinja
11-15-2003, 6:51 PM
Ya, that eopie is in pcgamemods; the dewbacks can be green or brown (i saw it on SWG), for that the skin i did is green, btw i've finished a kaadu model, i hope nobody has done it, cuz i left the eopie model cuz a guy did one lol, well ill post a WIP when geocities works, cuz it dont let me log in :rolleyes:
 Kengo
11-15-2003, 9:41 PM
Sorry for my slow response Monsoontide, I'll have a report for you by tommorow AKA deadline day.
 lassev
11-15-2003, 10:55 PM
Wow. Amazing, masterful workmanship!

These kind of vehicles really open new possibilities in SP. I'll have to keep this one in mind for possible future use. It might make a REAL difference in an SP project I have been planning for some time.
 monsoontide
11-16-2003, 2:52 AM
Going mad today trying to get a working chrome shader. Still ended up looking not very different to what I already have.
Sped it up a bit (Will speed it up more - but not as fast as the x-wing - that's more modern technology!) and changed the lasers to the tie_fighter green ones. Changed the explosion to the z95 explosion.
Will change the colour on the Dewback (Easiy enough with the .psd file!)
 LightNinja
11-16-2003, 11:32 AM
Monsoon, what skin do i have to send you, the second (shots 12&13) or the first (shot 11) :confused: or the two?
 t3rr0r
11-16-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by LightNinja
Monsoon, what skin do i have to send you, the second (shots 12&13) or the first (shot 11) :confused: or the two?
he said he'd do it.
 monsoontide
11-16-2003, 2:27 PM
I've changed the skin to a drab green (Rather than the olive colour it was). But if you prefer your own skin, by all means, feel free to replace mine!
Or alternatively I could do a couple of .veh/npc files so you can pick and choose - what do you think?

Anyways - the main points raised so far about the Dewback are:

1: The Running Animation doesn't fit the action.
2: The Health Level (Which is actually set the same as the tauntauns!!!)
3: The Bounding Box on the Dewback is not the right size
4: The feet don't animate in the walk cycle.

And my own observations which are
1: The jaw looks like its snapping in half in the idle animation
2: The head needs to lift up more during the walk/run animations
3: The tail needs to wiggle a bit more during the walk cycle (It does move but it's hard to see from the current viewpoint)

Also - I have to do some custom sounds for it - does anyone have any samples?

Today is the final day for testing - so does anyone have any last minute comments to make?

Kengo has promised his feedback today.
So far no feedback from NYM :lightning:

Thankyou all for your help :D
 RJW_ca
11-16-2003, 3:58 PM
I can help you with dewback sounds -- just give me the basic model so I have a good feel of his action-- I have already done sounds for a Watto and Aaron Smith's Quinlan_vos model please reply so I can help

RJW_ca "OUT"

RJW_ca@rogers.com
 LightNinja
11-16-2003, 5:01 PM
Originally posted by monsoontide
Or alternatively I could do a couple of .veh/npc files so you can pick and choose - what do you think?
That'd be really nice, people who like the brown could choose a brown one and green green :D
Originally posted by t3rror
he said he'd do it.
He sent me a pm.
 tFighterPilot
11-16-2003, 7:09 PM
I'm exactly a photoshop master, but I gave it a shot, which you will be able to see as soon a damn angelfire return my account :mad:

http://www.angelfire.com/droid/tfighterpilot/shot0009.jpg)

PS:Anyone knows any good free file hosting website?
 Usurpo
11-16-2003, 7:30 PM
MSN Groups. :jawa
 Kengo
11-16-2003, 11:35 PM
Sorry for how late this beta report is, I hope its not totally redundant - it just makes the deadline, in your time zone if not in mine :)

N1 - Starfighter Beta Report

1: The model - Looks about right to me in terms of its shape. Is perhaps a *little* small, I spawned it on top of the Millenium Falcon in the Siege_Desert map, it looked fairly in scale with that. It does look very small when you get in because the camera goes rather a long way away out. The defualt settings are:
cameraRange 500
I tried setting it to 300 and to me it looked a lot better all round.

The bounding box is way too big, which doesn't just mean you can't walk anywhere near it, but it will hit things when flying that aren't close to it. Despite the large bounding box, I somehow managed to walk half way into the tail a few times.

2: The skin - Just needing that chrome look you've been working on and it'll be all there!

3: The animation - Thruster animations all work fine.

4: The handling: - Main problems for me are here. I must say I found it awfully difficult to steer (with the new 1.01 patch BTW), that's partly down to the game engine of course. The controls for moving and aiming were very sluggish for me (not as bad as Battle for Naboo *shudder*). I tried altering some settings in the veh file, and it helped a lot:

lookYaw 60 (previously 45)
bankingSpeed 3.0 (previously 2.0)
turningSpeed 6.0 (previously 4.0)

I also set:
acceleration 25 (previously 15)

These may not all be relevant/wanted, but the overall effect seemed good. I set the speed up so the testing was at a more normal speed, I tried:

speedMax 450 (previously 200)
turboSpeed 600 (previously 400)
speedIdle 130 (previously 100)

Its a lot slower still with the settings I gave it than the X-Wing, much faster seems way too fast to handle for me. It could be a little faster than I tried however, I think.

All the above about controls and handling could certainly do with some good tweaking, its a start but not an optomised setup I'd say.

5: Compatablity - Works in SP and MP. One thing - you packed it up as a pk3.zip, so I had to rename it to a pk3 to get it to work. A mistake I'm sure you'll avoid for the final version, but I'm trying to be really picky now :)

Overall plus points: It looks very good, and I can really imagine it being a great deal of fun in MP - dogfights and such perhaps!
 Kengo
11-16-2003, 11:58 PM
Dewback Beta Report

Hows this pic from starwars.com for colour?
http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/dewback/img/eu_bg.jpg)

1: The model - As has already been said, probabaly a little small, the legs go through the body and the bounding box isn't right, with the head going right into walls. As has also been said, in MP only the front legs can be damaged, shots and attacks go through the rest.

2: The skin - Lots has been said about the skin already too - I'd got for a more browny-green like the one in the picture above. With so many different references with differing colours, its hard to get a definative colouration, so your preference comes into it a bit.

3: The animation - Pretty impressive all round! I noticed that in SP the view is further back than in MP, and because of this you can see a lot more animation (the jumping bounds when the dewback breaks into a run, the movement of the tail), and it feels a lot more like you are moving. In MP, with the camera view closer - you don't get the same feeling of movement and its all a little strange. If possible, setting the camera view further back might help a lot.

4: The handling: - Nice and easy to move around. I wonder if it isn't a little faster at a run than it would be in reality? Then again, creatures like this in real life often have a surprising turn of speed when they want!

I kinda felt that when you ran headlong into an enemy, it would seem appropriate for him to be damaged/knocked to the ground, it seems odd to charge at an enemy on a huge creature and find yourself stopping as you reach it. Is it possible to program in a vehicle-like collision?

You have to hop to get onboard, you can't use the use key to climb onto the creature's back - is this the same for the Tauntaun, I can't remember? Not a big deal anyway.

5: Compatablity - Works in SP and MP. One thing - you packed it up as a pk3.zip, so I had to rename it to a pk3 to get it to work. A mistake I'm sure you'll avoid for the final version, but I'm trying to be really picky now (again) :)

Overall: Really wonderful creature, a lot of fun and certain to be very popular.

One note I'd like to make for both the Dewback and the N-1 - they really do deserve some great sounds to go with them, they won't be anywhere near as enjoyable to use without. Sorry but I don't think I'm the man to help you get those sounds, just wanted to say they are massively important and shouldn't be underated. Perhaps some of the sounds already in JA can be used, at least as a base (possibly with some editing with a sound editor program like goldwave), such as the X-wing and Tie-fighter sounds for the N-1, the tauntaun and Rancor for the Dewback? Good luck finding some sounds worthy of the excellence of this work :)
 monsoontide
11-17-2003, 12:22 AM
Excellent Feedback Kengo! :cool:

Will definitely see what can be done about as many of these problems as possible.
The bounding box thing is a bit of a problem though as it's generated by the assimilation program when you compile the model for JK:JA and while you can tweak it int .veh file it seems to be just a big box regardless of vehicle shape?
Other things are set by the vehicle class which until they release the source, can't be changed :(

Thanks everyone for your help very much appreciated! :D
 Pnut_Man
11-17-2003, 1:13 AM
On the subject of sounds, SWG might be a resourceful place to look *Grins*.
 monsoontide
11-17-2003, 2:53 AM
That would be cool since they just released the patch with the ridable animals in it.
However I don't have the game (Not really having time for MMORPG games!)
If someone can supply them to me that would be very handy.
I'm hoping to find a few N1 sounds from other games as well.
 monsoontide
11-20-2003, 1:53 PM
Hi Folks...

Just a quick update. Duncan_10158 has the Dewback & N1 for revisions - then I will make a few final changes to the .veh files and then they will be released - hopefully by Thanksgiving.

Duncan_10158 also has the speeder bike which I made some more changes to though there is some bizzarre problem with one of the UV maps which I have been unable to fix. It looks fine in Lightwave but when I export it through Milkshape to md3 it comes out with some wierd distortions in it.

Acklay is almost ready for BETA but not quite!

A big thanks to (nearly) all the BETA TESTERS - your feedback has been invaluable :D
 kmd
11-20-2003, 2:48 PM
when is anikens speeder getting ready? is that last one your kist? and no problem bout the beta, i deleted it getting ready for final version!!
 GothiX
11-20-2003, 4:36 PM
Heh, it was more like a pleasure testing these babies. ^.^
 monsoontide
11-22-2003, 8:46 PM
...I only said it looked very favourable...

Duncan_10158 has been very busy for the last week and is only just getting some time to incorporate the BETA feedback this weekend. Hopefully we are looking at a Thanksgiving release for the Dewback and the N1.

Beta for the Acklay has begun. (Positions are already filled in case you're only reading this thread!)

...besides with the information in our posession, my calculations were correct...
 Shotokan
11-22-2003, 11:47 PM
Wow monsoontide that's really cool. Reminds me of SWG (that game is fun). Anyway I still need to get JA! Heh when I do get it though, I know what to download!
 monsoontide
11-30-2003, 4:18 PM
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/dewback_01.jpg)
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/dewback_02.jpg)
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/dewback_03.jpg)

I believe the Dewback is almost ready for release. Should be within the next week depending on how quickly Duncan can get to it. He's fixed a couple of animations and I've tweaked the skin colour and will include a couple of other skins.
 Duncan_10158
11-30-2003, 5:39 PM
yeah, there are only some few things to fix. i hope we can release this one soon.

the sound isnt working as expected, we probably need some coder to help us. i have no idea how the sound works for vehicles, changing the veh file sound things doesnt seem to have any effects.
 DarkLord60
12-03-2003, 10:14 PM
Now that brings back memories!
 Shotokan
12-04-2003, 1:39 AM
Can we get a profile shot? It looks to me as the back of the Dewback is a lil shorter than it's front...

And in the first and second shot its jaw looks a bit funny...
 monsoontide
12-04-2003, 2:34 AM
The BETA is OVER! ;)

The whole Dewback is based on those Terryl Whittlich drawings and the few shots of the damn things in the movie.
The jaw is just the way it's supposed to be given the limitations of the Quake engine & yes the back legs are shorter than the front - Blame Lucasfilm.
 Shotokan
12-04-2003, 3:21 AM
O no I don't mean the back legs. I mean its rear end. Because its head is pretty big and goes into a muscular neck and a muscular back... then theres a small tail... There's supposed to be some muscle after the legs... I can't really explain it but you can see it in the SWG creature mount video.

You need to make his backside longer... That's the best I can explain it.
 monsoontide
12-06-2003, 9:58 PM
 monsoontide
12-07-2003, 1:02 AM
Hi guys,

Released the N-1.
Download it from:
pcgamemods.com (http://www.pcgamemods.com/3326)
Thanks for all the help!
Big thanks to Duncan_10158 for his work! :D
Page: 2 of 2