Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Two Questions

Page: 1 of 1
 Merovingian
11-04-2003, 5:20 PM
1. Is there a way to make fire sound like fire?

2.Can you make fire emit light as a real fire would so that it could light up a room without any lights?
 _PerfectAgent_
11-07-2003, 1:18 AM
1. Use a target_speaker and put it inside or close to the fire, make sure the "sound" key uses a sound that sounds like fire!

2. I think that some fx files can do that, but I'm not sure. You can make the color different, use the color key, and fool around with the numbers. Use a light entity inside the fire for this!
 idontlikegeorge
11-07-2003, 3:45 AM
Back in the day my friend made a cool dueling map for JO, and he just used a fire color (orangish) light, and gave it one of the flickering effects, and put them near any "torches" he had.

The light would bounce off the tree models at the edge of the map and made some real great ambience. (The map was outside a jungle temple at night.)
 GothiX
11-07-2003, 1:44 PM
For 1, just select the fx_runner and add KEY: soundset, VALUE: fire_lp. :)
 Merovingian
11-07-2003, 8:21 PM
Cool thanks for the help also how do you give the lights effects?I've never bothered with that?
 idontlikegeorge
11-07-2003, 8:36 PM
Just open up the entity window of a light, most of the stuff is commented on well.

For spotlights and stuff, you need to also use different entities as targets and such, you can find stuff for that on most mapping sites.
 Merovingian
11-08-2003, 9:54 PM
Ok got everything workin but is there a way so that you can only hear the fire when you are close to it?
 _PerfectAgent_
11-09-2003, 12:25 AM
Make a trigger brush as large as you want (or as small), but large enough for the player to fit inside; it should be large enough to cover the area you want the player to hear the fire. Make the trigger brush into a trigger_multiple.

Then use the target_speaker (assuming you used that, I'm not sure if it can be done any other way...) and put it inside the fire. Go back to the target_speaker, select it and press the n key. Check mark the option that says activator. I'm not sure if looped on is necessary, but try it!

Now, for the sound key, stay on the entity window for the target_speaker and next to key, type in noise and next to value, type in sound/effects/fire_lp.wav.

And finally, connect the trigger_multiple and the target_speaker in that order. After that, it should work!
 Merovingian
11-09-2003, 2:21 PM
So I can put the speaker inside the fire fully?Thanks for the help again
 _PerfectAgent_
11-09-2003, 3:37 PM
Yeah, you can. It's not a speaker physically, but it's a source of sound, it's invisible in the game.
Page: 1 of 1