Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Using a small skybox but building behind get transparent

Page: 1 of 1
 <|FeaR|>Storm
10-31-2003, 10:00 PM
I got some windows created in my map and when I look thru I can see the rooms behind it to be tranparant.

This also happens when I have a launchpad in a skybox and I see the base transparent thru the sky shader. Mostly with the space, vjun, yavin shaders.

How can I solve this, I tried to create a brush fully textured behind it but still... I see thru it..

Someone ones said to put the yellow portal texture at the other end of the brush where my sky shader is placed. But this never worked either..

Please anyone..

STorm
 WadeV1589
10-31-2003, 10:35 PM
Is there a way to walk around where you've built the skybox? If you can see behind a skybox and those 2 areas are connected, that's why. Unless your vis data is made to totally seperate the two areas, the skybox will be drawn behind both...the question now is did I understand you correctly and I doubt I did.
 <|FeaR|>Storm
10-31-2003, 11:41 PM
 WadeV1589
11-01-2003, 10:19 AM
Do a BSP -meta only Then go to the plugin menu, Portal Viewer->Load Portals and check the Show 2D option. You'll get blue lines on your 2D Window. Take a screenshot of that - by the look of the layout so far it probably is a vis issue which can be rectified with hint brushes.
 wedge2211
11-01-2003, 2:09 PM
Skyboxes are always drawn behind EVERYTHING in the map. So, if you have a sky brush separating two rooms, you'll see the sky behind BOTH rooms. You'll just have to find some other way around.
 [SASH]Nathan
11-01-2003, 2:43 PM
turn one side of the sky brush into a wall, that covers the rooms u can see, so its like the out side bit, that will stop u seeing the other room in the skybox
 WadeV1589
11-01-2003, 3:11 PM
Going back to what I said, this is merely an easy to fix vis issue...The game draws the sky behind everything it can see according to the vis data. Make those 2 areas visually separate and the skybox will no longer have that problem.
 _PerfectAgent_
11-04-2003, 10:02 PM
You could make the skybox go behind the other room just enough so it goes behind the other room or make a small box (the skybox) and have it go around everything. I edited the diagram to show what I am talking about...

http://www.uploadit.org/files2/051103-vbskyroomsolution.jpg)
 Tactics
11-04-2003, 10:32 PM
place shader/nodraw as a brush over the parts of the room you can see thru the room with skybox
 WadeV1589
11-05-2003, 10:23 AM
Why is everyone saying all this when all you have to do is block vis? It's usually a cause of making one hint brush that will benefit FPS...most of the other ideas so far will just leave the room being drawn but "maybe" make it so you can't actually see it anymore on screen unless you do showtris.
Page: 1 of 1