Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dark Forces Novels ...

Page: 1 of 1
 txa1265
10-29-2003, 12:47 PM
I was wondering how many of you had read these and/or listened to the audio books?

I had read them a long time ago, and then had gotten the audio books and then recorded them digitally. I just reloaded them on my computer and put them on my iPod and started listening to them yesterday.

Some fun stuff in there
- Morgan definitely was force sensitive.
- Kyle's first real force experience upon meeting Jerec at his graduation from the Academy ... amongst the things he experiences is the thought Mohc is having "he wishes it would end so he can get back to his mistress'. Funny stuff ...

Mike
 Katarn07
11-01-2003, 1:22 PM
I read Soldier for the Empire and Jedi Knight a long time ago. I believe it's been 5 years now.... :eek: Actually, I read Jedi Knight before I even played the game.

I could never locate Rebel Agent anywhere though. Really weird. No library (or bookstore around here for that matter) had that in either book or cd format. They had both of the other books on both formats though :confused:

The pictures were pretty cool, but the story was messed up compared to the games so they weren't the coolest thing ever. However, I did enjoy the new elements added nonetheless. I thought the best part was the end of Soldier for the Empire; it's level one of Dark Forces :D
 StormHammer
11-01-2003, 6:52 PM
Originally posted by Katarn07
I could never locate Rebel Agent anywhere though. Really weird. No library (or bookstore around here for that matter) had that in either book or cd format. They had both of the other books on both formats though :confused:

You might want to try Amazon.com for Rebel Agent (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1569711569/ref=pd_sim_books_1/102-7759535-7599338?v=glance&s=books)

I got the trilogy of books via Amazon.co.uk (the hardback editions), and they were a very good read, as I recall. I also liked the colour illustrations. Not enough modern books have them, IMHO - because they can often set the scene and 'mood' of the novel.

I really liked the way the books tied in to the games themselves, and fleshed out the backgrounds of the characters and scenarios. They did a good job with them

And since the release of Jedi Academy, I can't help but feel they could do with making a novel about Jaden, to give some idea of his/her past and how (s)he came to build a lightsaber without help.

Of course, a novel would be particularly difficult for that character considering the customisation options in the game - male/female, Rodian, Zabrak, etc. Which is why it would have been better to show the character's background in the game itself.

But I digress...and I've probably said enough anyway. :D
 Mullaney
11-11-2003, 6:34 PM
I could care less about Jedi Academy. It's just a flooze for money, kinda like Mysteries of the Sith.

What I really care about is Kyle Katarn. I want the next installment to be great. I want a rich story. One that is full of intrigue, excitment, and adventure.

I'm assuming that it will be in the future or past. Something like Kyle and Jan having a son who is kidnapped or occurences between JK and JO.
 Mullaney
11-16-2003, 10:58 PM
I think it would be cool if it was about occurences that happened between JK and JO. That would mean you would get to meet Luke(he gives him his lightsaber) and it would be like Dark Forces in that there wouldn't be any lightsaber combat.

I just really dont want the next one to get trashed. I think it would be cool if a novel was written for the next one.
 Sith_Lord_Tim
11-30-2003, 2:59 AM
i agree with mullaney. novels make the story uh more understandable. they fill u in on stuff not told in the game. myself i read all the book that even say anything about kyle or his dad.
 Samuel Dravis
12-13-2003, 4:07 AM
I got those audiobooks from the library a long time ago. They were pretty good, although them not tieing exactly into the story of DF made them not as cool as they could have been.
 Assault3000
12-18-2003, 8:05 PM
While the books expand on the game, they also ruin the continuity of the game series, and add unnecessary elements that were not in the games. In fact, I'd be surprised if the writer actually read the actual character backgrounds before writing the books. I seriously doubt in the canon of Dark Forces that Kyle met Jerec before Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II.
 Zappa_0
12-22-2003, 12:16 AM
Ive actually listened to the audiobooks of the Dark Forces series. I found it to be interesting, especially the Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 part.
 ronbrothers
03-03-2004, 4:52 AM
I really enjoyed the audiobook version of the series. I didn't think much of the voice actor who portrayed Kyle. He sounded either a little too immature or cartoony for me. I like the game version of the voice acting.
 Kurgan
03-03-2004, 4:00 PM
I actually own Rebel Agent and Jedi Knight, and I read both a LONG time ago (not sure where they are now).

They're really short, and have pictures, so they're more like novelles than novels. ; )

What they should do is release them all in one volume on paperback.

Haven't read Soldier for the Empire, but I've seen it in old bookstores.

The books cover the events of the first two games, that's basically it. Nothing about Mysteries of the Sith, Jedi Outcast or Academy, which is understandable since they were all written before those games came out.
Page: 1 of 1