Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Halloween Movies!

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Groovy
10-22-2003, 6:47 PM
As you can probably tell, Halloween is my favorite holiday. No hassles with having to buy presents, no family hassles, no snow, scary costumes, kids, candy, and best of all, SCARY MOVIES!

So if your not going to watch what network television spoon feeds you this year, what scary movies do you have picked out to watch this year?

Here are my choices:

Halloween

The father of all slasher flicks never seems to get old to me. It was the first movie that ever scared me as a child. The story of a psychopath who escapes a mental institution, to come home and stalk Jamie Lee Curtis, in a Halloween mask, is a classic spooker.

Psycho

Alfred Hitchcock's classic kept people out of the shower for years, including actress Janet Lee, who also happens to be Jamie Lee Curtis's mother.

American Warewolf In London

John Landis was originally critisized for confusing audiences, who often wondered if this movie was supposed to be scary or funny. It is a little bit of both, it never takes itself too seriously, but it has some truly scary moments throughout. A must have for the season.

The Howling

Second only to American Warewolf In London, probably one of the best warewolf movies ever made. It is scary, funny and has an incredible twisting plot.

The Lost Boys

You will easily find every 80's cliche in this movie, but the music is great, the actors are great, the vampires are hip and cool, and this was made light years before the Buffy series, and all it's assorted spin offs. Kiefer Sutherland steals the show.

Young Frankenstein

The Mell Brooks classic, filmed in black and white, to parody the classic horror picture, features Gene Wilder, Marty Feldman, Peter Boyle and Teri Garr, all of them are equally hillarious.

Sleepy Hollow

Tim Burton put his magic into the American classic tale of a headless horseman who terroizes a small village near the turn of the 20th century.

The Nighmare Before Christmas

Another Tim Burton classic. An entirely hand animated musical that tells the story of Jack Skellington, who tires of of Halloween and tries to be Santa Clause for a year, dragging his neighbors into the disaster with him. This one you can actually watch with your kids, and enjoy it as well. The songs and visuals are a masterpiece.

Ghostbusters

Kids can watch this movie, (other than some minor language), Out of work scientists; Dan Ackroyd, Bill Murry, and Harold Ramis, invent a strategy to catch ghosts. Bussiness is good until the entire city runs wild with poltergiests and an acient demonic God who terrorizes New York as a giant Marshmellow man. This movie is just loads of laughter and fun.

Army Of Darkness

Before Sam Raimi did Xena, Hercules and Spiderman, he did low budget horror movies with his pal Bruce Campbell. Army Of Darkness, is number 3 in the Evil Dead Trilogy, and also has the biggest budget. When Ash, a retail clerk, (Bruce Campbeel) is accidentally transported back in time to 300 A.D. by a demonic book of the dead, he accidentally wakes up the Army of The Dead. Ash becomes the anti-hero wisecracking his way through hoards of skeleton soldiers looking for his way back to his own time. Hail To The King Baby!

Post your choices here, and explain why you chose them.
:cool:
 Darth Eggplant
10-23-2003, 1:56 AM
Darth Groovy likes Halloween
myself personally I like Samhain
but for scary movies this time of the year:

House On Haunted Hill
both the original and remake version

Hellraiser
(the first one maybe the second)

another founder of the splatter gendre would be
The Texas Chainsaw Masacre
and I hear it has been remade

Return Of The Living Dead
(I think that's what it was called)
and it's sequel. they are black comedy punk parodies
of the original Zombie movies

The Exorcist
and some of the sequels perhaps

The Omen
and some of the sequels maybe

Peter Jackson's Bad Taste

and a rare film indeed if you ever get the chance
Rabid Grannies
 Pisces
10-23-2003, 2:32 AM
Dreamcatcher: I don't know what it is about it but it was so damn scary.

Not exactly a classic but good for a scare.
 Boba Rhett
10-23-2003, 2:32 AM
The Evil Dead trilogy on a loop will do nicely. :D When I first saw The Exorcist I was expecting to be in for a real scary treat but it bored me so much I fell asleep before it ended. :confused:
 Hyperglide
10-23-2003, 3:06 AM
Hellraiser (anyone) is hella scary. Pinhead makes me squirm. I remember watching the one Hellraiser where the guy has to steal his skin from one slain victim, nerves and muscles from another and you slowly see him getting constructed, eeeeewwwww. I was so sickened and terrified I covered my eyes in a pillow and then later on proceeded to run upstairs till the movie was over. I believe I was around 8 or 9 at the time lol....

Only movie that terrified me that much. Exorcist and 28 Days later are good picks too.
 Ratmjedi
10-23-2003, 5:28 AM
The Exorcist does it for me simply. I mean for some people it scares the $hit out of them and others it just bores or makes you laugh. I just can't sleep well for about a week cause of that damn face that gets flashed in the middle.

Return of the Living dead is just good in my opinion. I loved it cause it was funny but it still was good.Along with the other ones they have like Night of the living dead.

:duel: :lsduel:
 Crazy_dog no.3
10-23-2003, 5:48 AM
I don't watch many Horror movies, but I do like the Omen and Halloween.
Alien is also one of my favourites, and it's going to be re-released next week if I'm correct.
 Darth Rythe
10-23-2003, 7:22 AM
We don't have halloween over here but I think some people still do stuff for it. Anyway, i'm not one for "Horror" movies.
 Zappa_0
10-23-2003, 10:05 AM
Dont forget about the Alien Series. Also Alien: The Directors Cut comes out this Halloween.
 toms
10-23-2003, 10:47 AM
i never got the fuss about Halloween, personally.

I'd go for:

Nightmare on Elm Street
(the first and only good one)

Blair Witch
(You either love it or hate it, and it only works the first viewing.)

Ring Trilogy
(Original versions)

Exorcist 3
(For some reason i find possessed old people very scary)

Scream
(For some light entertainment value)

Texas Chainsaw Masacre Remake
(If it is as good as i have heard)

Alien: The Directors Cut sounds like a terrible idea to me. Ridley Scott has always said he was happy with his original cut, and the fact they had to cut out most of the monster scenes cos it looked like a guy in a suit actually made the film MORE scary. From what I have heard the re-inserted scenes are interesting, but don't fit.
Still, i have the Quadrilogy on pre-order so i should have 2 versions of every Aliens film to choose from soon. :D
 GUNNER
10-23-2003, 11:18 AM
You want a twisted evil movie?

Watch Event Horizon. That baby will get you freaked but good. Make sure it's very dark outside, your alone and all the lights are off.

Trust me on this one.;)
 vegietto
10-23-2003, 11:36 AM
hey i only have one choice and it scared the heck out of me:

Halloween
 Troopr-Undr-Fir
10-23-2003, 3:01 PM
Rabid Grannies

...The hell..:confused:
 leXX
10-23-2003, 3:08 PM
Originally posted by GUNNER
You want a twisted evil movie?

Watch Event Horizon. That baby will get you freaked but good. Make sure it's very dark outside, your alone and all the lights are off.

Trust me on this one.;)

Man you ain't wrong. That is one hell of a freaky movie!

I think my favourite horror film is The Shining.
 StormHammer
10-23-2003, 4:02 PM
I didn't really think much of Event Horizon, but...whatever floats your boat. ;)

I'm inclined to go with Groovy's Movies...hehe

Halloween I and II - back to back to get the full gory glory

American Werewolf In London - one of my all-time favourites.

Sleepy Hollow - great little film IMHO.

The Changeling - if you like ghost stories, this is a good one.

The Haunting - the original. Nice and creepy in parts.

Evil Dead II - need I say more?

The Frighteners - if you like a good dose of humour. :D

Scanners - if you like exploding heads. ;)

Lifeforce - if you like an SF twist to the vampire mythos

John Carpenter's The Thing - Nuff said.

Near Dark - a decent vampire movie

The Keep - hard to categorise this one, but it's damned good.

Dog Soldiers - probably the best Brit Werewolf flick ever made - after American Werewolf, that is. ;)

Night Of The Demon - if you like some of the old stuff, this black magic tale has all the right ingredients.

The Devil Rides Out - Christopher Lee is superb in his role as a good guy fighting the forces of Evil to save a friend from the nefariously evil Charles Grey. Always been a favourite of mine. ;)

The Wicker Man - another great film - with Lee as the bad guy, and Edward Woodward stumbling in too deep in affairs best left alone.

Cast A Deadly Spell - an unsung and little-known film that puts Fred Ward in the role of the only guy who won't use magic in this humourous 'film noir meets mild horror'.

Plenty to choose from there, come Halloween night. :D
 Hyperglide
10-23-2003, 4:35 PM
A good scary movie? Rocky Horror Picture show.

A musical about Horror movies with Tim Curry dressed up in drag.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!! *runs away in terror*
 Seph
10-24-2003, 1:45 AM
scary movie 1 and 2
 Darth Groovy
10-24-2003, 2:20 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer
I didn't really think much of Event Horizon, but...whatever floats your boat. ;)

I'm inclined to go with Groovy's Movies...hehe

Halloween I and II - back to back to get the full gory glory

American Werewolf In London - one of my all-time favourites.

Sleepy Hollow - great little film IMHO.

The Changeling - if you like ghost stories, this is a good one.

The Haunting - the original. Nice and creepy in parts.

Evil Dead II - need I say more?

The Frighteners - if you like a good dose of humour. :D

Scanners - if you like exploding heads. ;)

Lifeforce - if you like an SF twist to the vampire mythos

John Carpenter's The Thing - Nuff said.

Near Dark - a decent vampire movie

The Keep - hard to categorise this one, but it's damned good.

Dog Soldiers - probably the best Brit Werewolf flick ever made - after American Werewolf, that is. ;)

Night Of The Demon - if you like some of the old stuff, this black magic tale has all the right ingredients.

The Devil Rides Out - Christopher Lee is superb in his role as a good guy fighting the forces of Evil to save a friend from the nefariously evil Charles Grey. Always been a favourite of mine. ;)

The Wicker Man - another great film - with Lee as the bad guy, and Edward Woodward stumbling in too deep in affairs best left alone.

Cast A Deadly Spell - an unsung and little-known film that puts Fred Ward in the role of the only guy who won't use magic in this humourous 'film noir meets mild horror'.

Plenty to choose from there, come Halloween night. :D

Hey you got taste Storm, guess us old guys know the good from the crap. You mentioned a few films that I failed to acknowledge.

Evil Dead II, Dead By Dawn

I have purchased many VHS copies of this film in various incarnations, until finally it was given the THX treatment, and even better, the DVD treatment. I guess this one is my favorite of the three, only because it is still meant to be a horror film, though it has a bigger budget than the first, and unlike the first, this one really starts to push the element of dark humor which is what works so well in the trilogy. There are so many hidden jokes in that movie, you can watch it thousands of times and still catch more details

John Carpenter's The Thing

For a period of time, John Carpenter really knew how to scare the crap out of me. Having never scene the original version of the movie, I had no idea what was going to happen. I think the mixture worked well in the movie, because you have a team of poeple who are already half nuts from cabin fever in the polar caps, being stalked by an alien entity that can transform itself into anything it wants to be. Super scary! Not to mention that the movie is one of the goriest bloodiest things you will ever endure, even for it's time. That movie scares me to this day. I had to special order the DVD edition. I watched it a few days ago at my last job (working nights by yourself doesn't help) i'll be damned if I did not get scared again. Cabin fever is scary enough, but when your suspecting all the guys you been couped up with for several months in an arctic nightmare, that makes it all the more scarier!

Hellraiser (Maybe The Second One)

Yes, I both love and hate the Hellraiser movies. I love the dialouge, and the story is both original and scary, yet the gore is something that takes a strong stomach. Personally I felt the second one was the best of all of them. I lost interest in Pinhead after the third of fourth movie, but I will say that he is FAR more intersting than Jason or Freddy! :)
 Lynk Former
10-24-2003, 5:38 AM
Blood: The Last Vampire and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

XD lol
Page: 1 of 1