Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

having trouble getting listed as a server...

Page: 1 of 1
 pat3001
10-19-2003, 8:15 PM
Okay guys I have a question. I want to make a dedicated duel server for jk3 and i downloaded "jawinded_1[1].0" the windows thingy for running a dedicated server. I modified the "server" file that came packaged with it and unzipped everything to the proper directory. I also modifed the target line in jampDed to read:

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jampDed.exe" + exec server.cfg +set net_port 29071"

so that i can run the server and play on it at the same time on my PC.

Yet when i run the server with jampDed, my server is not listed on under anything but "local" and I do not see it on the list when i switch to "internet"....am I doing something wrong here?

Just in case you want to see my server "code" here it is:
// Server Config
seta sv_hostname "^5 Master Skywalker's DEDICATED Duel"
seta g_motd "^5 Welcome, please have fun! ^4 STILL WORKING OUT THE BUGS"
seta dedicated 0
//rconpassword "a clever password"

// gametypes
// 0 = FFA
// 3 = DUEL one on one tournament
// 4 = POWER DUEL
// 6 = TEAM DEATHMATCH
// 7 = SIEGE
// 8 = CTF
set g_gametype 3

seta sv_maxclients 8
seta g_inactivity 0
sv_maxRate 10000
set g_allowvote 1
set timelimit 45
seta g_forcePowerDisable 163837
seta g_weaponDisable 65531
seta g_saberLockFactor 2
seta g_forceRegenTime 250
seta g_fraglimit 1
seta g_locationBasedDamage 1
set g_autoMapCycle 0

map mp/duel1

So what am i doing wrong? this is kinda my first time trying to do this seriously....

thanks guys,

pat3001
 Amidala from Chop Shop
10-19-2003, 8:38 PM
If you are running a server locally, you are not using the Internet to connect to it. That's why it shows up under Local. Ask a friend if they can connect to your server. Get your IP address from http://whatsmyip.smokingmedia.com/) and have your friend enter the IP under New Favorite, then have him use that to connect.

Or if your friend has The All Seeing Eye http://www.udpsoft.com/eye2/index.html) or Qtracker http://www.qtracker.com/) ask him if he can see your server.

There is currently a problem with the ingame server browser. It is only showing about 30 of the 500 servers out there. So your server might be running fine, but people can't see it if they just use the stupid ingame server browser. The All Seeing Eye and Qtracker show all of the servers. You should use one or both of those programs as well until a patch for the ingame browser is released.

If you don't have any friends who can help you, post your server name and IP address here and maybe someone will tell you if your server is visible.
 pat3001
10-19-2003, 11:10 PM
the IP is 153.104.152.231

can anyone connect to this?

btw i have ASE and it is not showing up on there....but i think that all of my settings that i posted are correct...right??

-thx,

pat
 Amidala from Chop Shop
10-20-2003, 1:03 AM
I don't see it at 7PM PDT on 10/19 using ASE. So you may have a firewall issue. Read this:

http://support.lucasarts.com/trg/tgd.asp?id=2381&g=120&s=8)

It refers to Jedi Outcast. The ports for Jedi Academy are 29060-62 and 29070-29081.

Also add these lines to your server.cfg file:

seta sv_master1 "masterjk3.ravensoft.com"
seta sv_master2 "masterjk3.ravensoft.com"
seta sv_master3 "63.146.124.53"
seta sv_master4 "204.97.248.90"
seta sv_master5 "clanservers.net"
seta sv_master6 "master0.gamespy.com"

This will make your server send "heartbeats" to the master servers that provide the server lists to server browsers.
 pat3001
10-20-2003, 2:28 AM
whenever the server shows up on my local list, it always has

[UDP] after the name.....

what does that mean??? it is bad? i did not put that there....
 Amidala from Chop Shop
10-20-2003, 3:05 AM
That's normal for a local server. Still can't see your server.
 pat3001
10-20-2003, 3:37 AM
this makes no sense.....i don't have a firewall on at all my code is correct and it shows up locally....what could i be doing wrong??

are there any sample server things that i could just cut and paste?
 Amidala from Chop Shop
10-20-2003, 4:50 AM
OK, I just noticed you have seta dedicated "0". Change that to 2 and restart the server.

I also noticed you have sv_maxrate 10000 and sv_maxclients 8. That means you have to have 10000 x 8 x 8 = 640,000 = 640Kb\sec uplink speed on your connection, which I doubt you have. Either reduce sv_maxrate to 4000 and\or reduce sv_maxclients. A dueling server doesn't need more than 6 clients anyway, people get bored waiting in a long line. sv_maxrate "5000" and sv_maxclients "7", with sv_PrivateClients "1" and sv_PrivatePassword "yourpassword" allows 6 players over your Internet connection and you locally using the reserved private client so you can always get in.
 pat3001
10-20-2003, 1:21 PM
thx for you help so far AMILDALA, however, it still won't show up on ASE.....for me...i left the server up so maybe some of you guys could check to see if it shows up? here is my code as of now....

// Server Config
seta sv_hostname "^5 Master Skywalker's DEDICATED Duel"
seta g_motd "^5 Welcome, please have fun! ^4 STILL WORKING OUT THE BUGS"
seta dedicated 2
rconpassword "xxxx"

seta sv_master1 "masterjk3.ravensoft.com"
seta sv_master2 "masterjk3.ravensoft.com"
seta sv_master3 "63.146.124.53"
seta sv_master4 "204.97.248.90"
seta sv_master5 "clanservers.net"
seta sv_master6 "master0.gamespy.com"

// gametypes
// 0 = FFA
// 3 = DUEL one on one tournament
// 4 = POWER DUEL
// 6 = TEAM DEATHMATCH
// 7 = SIEGE
// 8 = CTF
set g_gametype "3"

//seta sv_maxclients "8"
seta g_inactivity "0"
seta sv_maxRate "4000"//client connectivity
seta sv_maxclients "7"
seta sv_privateclients "1"
seta sv_privatepassword "xxxx"
set g_allowvote "1"
set timelimit "45"
seta g_forcePowerDisable "163837"
seta g_weaponDisable "65531"
seta g_saberLockFactor "2"
seta g_forceRegenTime "250"
seta g_fraglimit "1"
seta g_locationBasedDamage "1"
set g_autoMapCycle "0"

map mp/duel1

I am really confused as to why this is not working, it shows up locally and I am on a T1 so I should be able to connect to the bandwith i specified, I think....any ways, any help would be really appreciated!!!!

thanks again!!

-pat
 pat3001
10-21-2003, 3:12 PM
could it possibly have something to do with the network i am on at my school? i have no router personall, but my school may have a large router that could be causing a problem???

anyone have any thoughts?

thx,

pat
 Amidala from Chop Shop
10-21-2003, 4:03 PM
Yes, that might be it. There must be a firewall farther upstream that has those ports closed. It may allow you to play the game but not host a server. You might try checking with you school's IT department to see if they allow hosting of game servers. They might not, and that's why those ports are closed. If they allow it, those ports will have to be opened. But they probably don't want people using up their bandwidth by hosting game servers.

However, your server should still show up on your school's LAN. If other students have Jedi Academy you can play each other on the LAN.
Page: 1 of 1