Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Darth Omega.

Page: 1 of 1
 hanaleihawaii
10-14-2003, 4:26 AM
Has anyone seen the Darth Omega skin for JA? Whoa! Hmm... I'm thinking... The Crow! Can't people make original skins? Or even ones that are cool for that matter. If somebody's going to put that much time into a skin they should make it reasonably original. Make skins that arn't unbelievably laughable. Thanks
 JediLurker
10-14-2003, 4:30 AM
Or you could always go make a skin you like. Nobody's forcing you to download anyone else's.
 Iblis Reborn
10-14-2003, 6:00 AM
the crow kicks ass
i wouldnt mind using a crow skin at all
what i REALLY want is a Twins skin from the Matrix :evil2:
 BloodRiot
10-14-2003, 8:21 AM
I'll speak as a modder here. :)

Whenever I fire up 3ds max and set up a new character for a game (being original or based on another) I tedn to use a in-theme concept. I wouldn't do a batman model for JA nor would I do a Jedi or an ewok for Quake or Unreal Tournament.

To be honest yeah, I'd hate to build my own character...one that really appeals to my aesthetic taste and suddenly I'm dueling with a guy using a Gobot model... errrrr... well it kinda throws off the mood lol. It's bad enough for me I'm seeing jawas and stormtroopers using LightSabers hehe.

But I have no right whatsoever to tell him he can't use it nor do I have the right to tell someone he shouldn't make this skin or that model.

So yeah I wouldn't make a Mr.T model So that I could waltz around a FFA map taunting "Come here FOOL!"... cuz that's not really my gig.

But some people enjoy that... and I believe that no matter what your tastes are... if you just created something and it pleases you... you feel proud and just want to share it.

Surelly some models/skins are more "commercial" than others and some become blockbusters while others are B movies. But that's only the responsability of the maker to a certain extent... A maker sometimes has to deal with the fact that he'll either please himself or the croud... while sometimes both go hand in hand, on other times they go separate ways.

well... this turned out to be a longer post than I expected... so i'll just throw the bottom line here and say goodbye ;p

Whether we like it or not, a modder should do what he wants to do, and the public can live with the fact that if they dont like it, at least respect the fact that they are doing something and there's always the option not to download it and his model will defer to the default... everybody's happy ;)

Cheers all.
 Astrotoy7
10-14-2003, 10:41 AM
Yeah, anyone can skin whatever they want. You dont like it, dont waste your time on it ! So simple. Ive seen some really silly skins made by JO fans, but hey if it turns them on.... like LOTR skins, the simpsons, spiderman.....etc. cool characters in tehir own right but wtill I just dont feel they belong in the game but woukdnt use them. However if thats what tickles your fancy, who am I to stop you ! Apart from my twilek Jaden in JA. my fave skin, which I use in MP in a very plain Mara Jade skin, modified just enough to be distinctively like Mara(in my eyes) Alot of her skins just look like Jan to me......

If I was any good I would make a skin for a couple of my favorite characters, Jaina and Jacen Solo....especially now with the rebel pilot npc in JA, one of jaina in the fight suit will look cool.

Also the ultra cool Hoth gear could look great with added headgear a la ESB...(Ive only ever played with a twilek so I dont even know if the human characters in JA have a cap on Hoth......

MTFBWYA

Im looking forward to alot of great maps/mods for JA, already, I LOVE the MP swoop racing one....
 hanaleihawaii
10-28-2003, 5:38 PM
Guy's:
I totally agree that people should be allowed to make whatever they want. However, I'm just offering my opinion from a 3rd party perspective. Sure, I ranted a little. But I couldn't help laughing at the skin. It would make more sense to call the skin "The Crow," rather tnan that of "Darth Omega." That would be more straight foward. When people release their skins it means their looking for some type of acceptance. Wheather that be good or bad; its for feedback on how that person can improve their artwork. Futhermore, some just have alot of room for improvement. All for the better huh?
My comments were not directed toward the Darth Omega skin specifically, but with skins in general.
So keep working on those skins and people like me will offer their opinion!

Damn Marlins!
 eidospsogos
10-28-2003, 8:56 PM
okay this all merits reply.....i saw the darth omega sking and though it di not immediately say star wars, i thought it was a well done skin regardless.....

here is the important part of the post.....i walked away from episode 1 feeling that darth maul did not look very star wars....but apparently he was a very popular character regardless.

seriously, having seen the original star wars movies in the theater, (though never getting into the rights lucas causally sold away for books etc.....) i did not feel that darth maul fit into the star wars universe. to me he just didn't fit. he seemed more like a hellraiser character with bad wrestler makeup. but that was only my opinion, while others liked the character quite alot.(though i wonder how much that would have decreased had he wielded only the normal saber)

so, though i agree that batman, goku, and the simpsons running around with lightsabers is very silly, i do not think there is a fine line as to the appearance of jedi anymore. especially as far as the sith are concerned. i would much rather have the traditionally robed, light-saber wielding character.....but as we have seen that role expanded by lucas himself, who are we to say that, since one character that looks like a make-up wearing horror figure, that there cannot be another one.
Page: 1 of 1