Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What does Chewie say?

Page: 1 of 1
 Remirol Nacnud
10-12-2003, 5:37 PM
Well, Chewie would make a sound like someone gargling, and everyone would understand him perfectly. He got no subtitles.
The bounty hunter that Han killed got subtitles! Why not chewie?

I just wonder, did GL write down what the old furball is meant to be saying, in the script.
And if so, does anyone know where you could find it?
 wassup
10-13-2003, 1:18 AM
Han Solo learned the Shyriiwook tongue, the official language of the Wookiees, so he can understand Chewie perfectly. I think he acts kinda like a translator for everyone else.
 LDB_modeski
10-13-2003, 10:25 AM
Shyriiwook was a core subject at my school. Far better than French or German!

On a slightly more serious note, yes Han *did* act as a translator, in much the same way C3PO did for R2D2. (and luke to an extent). I reckon the humour was better this way than if we could have understood them ourselves.
 Remirol Nacnud
10-13-2003, 5:57 PM
I'd imagine that as bots like R2 units are used as early as Ep1(and possibly much further back) a lot of people could understand their beeps.

Still, no word on what he's meant to say?
 wassup
10-13-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Remirol Nacnud
I'd imagine that as bots like R2 units are used as early as Ep1(and possibly much further back) a lot of people could understand their beeps.

Ah probably not...unless you know Shyriiwook :p
 Jedi_Monk
10-14-2003, 1:10 AM

Has anyone tried to translate the aurubesh on that screen in Anakin's cockpit that displays what the Astromech is reporting?
 Pedro The Hutt
10-14-2003, 6:53 AM
Yup, I did once. If I remember it right it was
"Anakin, turn the ship around and go home."

He should've listened. But nooooooo.
 Shado Vorn
10-14-2003, 8:46 AM
Anakin was never very good at respecting authoritah! I think that's why I like the dude so much. *evil non authoritah respecting grin*
 guybroom
01-08-2004, 7:27 PM
The bounty hunter that Han killed got subtitles! Why not chewie?

Are you refering to :fett: Bobba fett? :fett: He did not have subtitles - he just spoke.

Or do you mean some other guy?
 Skinkie
01-14-2004, 2:23 AM
I assume he means Greedo.
 Schmatz
01-16-2004, 9:03 AM
I think most of the time Chewie said "Hey, Han, think of something to say, I'm all outta ideas" even though he never gave ideas, but Han gives the Wookiee credit because he's a "people person" (rips arms off).
 leXX
01-16-2004, 9:11 AM
I think it's better not knowing exactly what was said. Most of it was probably swearing at Han anyway! ^^

It's funny in KotOR when you see the translation of what they say....

Wookie: "Rwarrrr arrrr waaarrrr rwarrrrr guuurrrr war rwarrrr arrr rwaaaar"

Subtitle: Yes.

:D
 Jan Gaarni
01-16-2004, 5:46 PM
Agreed, leXX. :D

Most of the alien dialoge seems waaaayyyy too long to what is actually being said. :)
 guybroom
01-16-2004, 9:03 PM
I assume he means Greedo.

oops

Most of the alien dialoge seems waaaayyyy too long to what is actually being said.

I know, what Jabba says half the time is so much longer than the subtitles.
 Skinkie
01-20-2004, 2:55 AM
Personally I think Chewie is just rolling off strings of assorted swear words.
 Lynk Former
01-20-2004, 7:15 AM
Yeah, Chewies DEFINATELY the type to just swear at every second word.

"Rrraarrraaaaarwrwwraarraaaaaarrr"
Translation: "**** Han, the ****ing hyperdrive is ****ed up."
Page: 1 of 1