Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Tricks and Tips

Page: 1 of 1
 qrook
06-12-2000, 2:06 PM
#1 With the S-foils closed, it's remarkably safe to fly an X-wing at a missile launcher; it'll turn its back on you! You can fly at it, until it's nearly in your cockpit, then, holding down the primary weapon key, hit the brake, watch it disintegrate and fly 'through' it.

#2 Accuracy depends on hits, not kills. You can increase your hit rate by lambasting AT-STs and AT-ATs, in long, slow runs from the back or side. [It takes a dozen such runs to kill an AT-AT with cannon fire, but that's no matter.]

Likewise, if time permits (at the Jade Moon, for instance) a generator can be taken out with two long bursts of cannon fire, improving your hit rate, rather than a couple of missiles.

During quiet spells, while defending the Nonnah, lambast the enemy mother ship. You won't dent it, but the 'hits' will count towards your accuracy.

[A downed AT-AT, shot repeatedly in the head and body provides two satisfying explosions, though I don't think it contributes to accuracy.]

#3 YOU are captain of your ship. Mission objectives and ground commands should be taken with a pinch of salt. In particular:
- at Barkhesh, DON'T "stay with the convoy" all the time
- ignore "check your fire"; it does no harm - compared to bombs
- at the Jade Moon, DON'T "use the trench to avoid missiles"
- sometimes you can ignore "Where's our air cover?", temporarily.

#4 Sometimes comments from the ground are 'coded'. At Prisons of Kessel, "I'm clear" means you should NOW shoot up the 4 or 5 star troopers who are emerging from the brown boxes. [You haven't already shot up the brown boxes, have you?] If you get to them quickly, the troopers will be in a group which can be taken out (together with the brown box) in one burst of fire.

#5 Decide in advance where you will NEED some of your limited supply of missiles. At Barkhesh reserve two for the gun turret, for instance.

It seems to me that an AT-ST can be taken out with one missile AND one burst of cannon fire, rather than two missiles.

At Gerrard V reserve 3 missiles for the big gun turret. [At Gerrard V, at the beginning of the second phase, your ship is flying in the wrong direction. You should already be on S-foils. Swing hard right and come upon the missile launcher in front of the big gun. Bore down on it, brake, take it out with cannon fire, hold the brake as you swing left to face the gun turret, hit it with 3 missiles, continue braking as you hit an AT-xx, a missile launcher and another AT-xx in a straight line with cannon fire. Five in a row - very satisfying.]

#6 Against Ties (and Moff Seerdon) seeker missiles are useful (even necessary). But they take too long to 'lock' in most circumstances and, when there's a mixture of lethal and non-lethal targets, they invariably lock on to the 'wrong' target. [Engineering please note.] In those circumstances, use them like ordinary missiles by NOT engaging the 'seek'; just double-click the secondary firing key to launch aimed shots.

#7 If you fly with a mouse (as I do), you'll need to switch to the keyboard arrows to control your ship after activating your harpoon, when taking down an AT-AT. Once you're sure that your ship is under control, hit the thrusters.

#8 What have I missed? In particular, is there tip that'll get me a gold against Moff Seerdon?
 Imladil
06-13-2000, 6:12 AM
Well, you didn't say anything about shooting down all the X-wings at Barkhesh to unlock the B-wing fighter.

You also neglected to mention that if you blow up all the buildings at Mos Eisley, you can fly the Corellian corvette at Taloraan.

http://www.roguesquadron.net/forums/biggrin.gif)

------------------
"I sought the true nature of reality but discovered instead the real nature of truth."

--Thrustweasel of Earth
 Cougar
06-13-2000, 11:53 AM
That'd be pretty cool. I've always wanted to fly a B-wing.

------------------
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little confused.
 qrook
06-14-2000, 5:45 AM
It's OK. I found the key(s) to Moff Seerdon's Revenge. I'll write them up sometime.

Now, about that gold at Taloraan . . . ?
 Imladil
06-14-2000, 6:23 AM
The bonus is in the middle of the cloud city.

------------------
"I sought the true nature of reality but discovered instead the real nature of truth."

--Thrustweasel of Earth
 Cougar
06-15-2000, 1:13 PM
What is the bonus? Whenever I get it I always crash into a building before I can here what it is. http://www.roguesquadron.net/forums/smile.gif)

------------------
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little confused.
 Imladil
06-16-2000, 5:17 AM
The bonus is better lasers...the most useful bonus of them all (after the seeker missiles, that is)! Try crashing into the building, and maybe you'll snag that puppy... http://www.roguesquadron.net/forums/wink.gif)

------------------

--Thrustweasel of Earth
 Rogue Renegade
02-19-2001, 3:10 AM
Hey guys, these are some great tips. One of the best is the one on accuracy. It really helped when I went for gold on Fest. To get the needed accuracy, I had to blast the Walkers. I knew it wouldn't hurt 'em, but it gave me the needed accuracy for gold!

------------------
"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty." (Rev. 1:8)
 Redwing
02-20-2001, 11:04 PM
Blaster fire DOES hurt the AT-ATs, but their armor is so thick it takes forever to punch through it. It helps if you aim for the head/neck region. Try it in the Imperial construction yards, where time is not against you.

------------------
At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi.
At last we will have revenge.
http://www.geocities.com/linuxrules56/Copy_of_saber.gif)
 Peashooter
03-02-2001, 1:40 AM
I always had a tough time on Sullest until I learned about how the missle silos ignore you at top-end. In the Naboo, make one pass around the place at top speed, taking out the missle silos and any guns you can squeeze in during that pass. Then, then next pass around go after the shield generators and any other guns. Also, the thing in the middle doesn't seem to get affected as much if you're close in, so back out and come back in occasionally. Ignore the fighters, but when you're shooting at the lighted things you can aim up or down a bit, and a few will fly right into your fire!

Good shooting!
 Slave I
08-02-2002, 6:58 PM
that mos eisley thing doesn't work. before you can blow up all of the buildings one of your wingmen says "We've failed. The spaceport's been completely destroyed."
 Genota
08-04-2002, 3:47 AM
HA HAH!:sniper9: :explode:
 Lynk Former
08-04-2002, 5:35 AM
Originally posted by Slave I
that mos eisley thing doesn't work. before you can blow up all of the buildings one of your wingmen says "We've failed. The spaceport's been completely destroyed."

You nog. Do you realise how old this thread is :D
 Genota
08-05-2002, 3:48 AM
Originally posted by Imladil
Well, you didn't say anything about shooting down all the X-wings at Barkhesh to unlock the B-wing fighter.

You also neglected to mention that if you blow up all the buildings at Mos Eisley, you can fly the Corellian corvette at Taloraan.

http://www.roguesquadron.net/forums/biggrin.gif)

------------------

--Thrustweasel of Earth

is it true?!
 Lynk Former
08-05-2002, 8:30 AM
You'll be lucky if Imladil comes around here ever again. He's a relic from the past...
Page: 1 of 1