Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How to activate tow cable?

Page: 1 of 1
 Rick Gateley
02-20-2000, 2:30 AM
How do I activate my tow cable?

Rick Gateley
Ensign
Y wing expert
 Lt Guilo
02-20-2000, 7:48 AM
Use the Secondary Weapons Fire button as soon as you're close enough to the legs of the AT-AT you wish to ensnare. You could wait until you hear Luke say "Activate harpoon!" to press it, but sometimes he doesn't say it at the proper time and it makes a poor means of knowing when to deploy it. The best way to do that is just to start pressing the button repeatedly as you approach the target area and keep pressing it UNTIL it deploys. Once it has, it will attach itself to the AT-AT's legs automatically (d-uh).
 Peashooter
02-25-2000, 2:48 AM
I had a helluva a time with this at first as well. You may be doing what I was...aiming at a leg and hitting the secondary weapon button (nothing happens).

Well, its a TOW cable...i.e. it comes out the BACK of your buggy. So you have to fly past it, generally close to one side. When you feel you're roughly lined up with the back leg, hit the button. The camera angle will change to something that will probably cause you to crash the first couple of times, but you get used to it.

Now, this doesn't work 100%. I've played these levels several times and still don't always get it on the first try. You're probably on Correllia right now, you'll get a LOT more practice when you get to Fest! I can't for the life of me figure out how anyone finishes that in the required time for gold (I keep going 14 seconds over).
 Bake
02-25-2000, 4:19 AM
What is the freakin' secret to wrapping up the AT-AT's legs???

I can fire the cable OK, but I either fly into the legs or the funky out of ship view is suddenly replaced by the normal view.
I'm flying with a mouse...is this mission possible as such, or do I need to get a joystick?

I am way over the qualifications for a bronze medal, but I can't get past this infernal walker!!! Any help is appreciated!

May the Force be with you.
 Shootist
02-25-2000, 9:59 PM
Yo, BAKE, go to the thread called "Level 4 is impossible to beat" in today's active topics. Check Imladil's input dated Feb 08 at 4:51 p.m. That's about the best explaination I've heard yet. Staying close to the ground also gives you one less dimension to worry about when you're try'in to hog tie those overgrown tinker toys.
You rogueies probably wanna get pretty efficient with yer tow cables. Defection is really a practice ground for some of the other levels...FEST is the one that separates the fighters from the droids. Good luck.

------------------
ACK...Phht!!
Bill the Cat
 Bake
02-27-2000, 6:15 PM
OK! I finally got it! Here's what worked for me....

stay low, fly at normal speed, keep the left air brake on. When you start to fly out of control, or need to sprint in front of a leg, apply a short burst of speed. Keep applying speed bursts until it's all wrapped up.
 Rogue Renegade
02-19-2001, 3:06 AM
Since the tow cable is always on of the first big issues to come up for new players, I thought it would be good to bring this one back to the top.

------------------
"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty." (Rev. 1:8)
Page: 1 of 1