Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

I need to compile a saber into JA

Page: 1 of 1
 NeoMarz1
10-05-2003, 10:43 PM
Ok... I need help trying to get a saber handle compiled into a glm using assimilate. I'm starting a saber handle, so I can get a feel for this. Eventually I will import "Zam's speeder" into JA. Does anyone out there have a tutorial (not for character models) for plain old models. I opened up a saber using "Mod view", and noticed that the saber has these...

W_blade
*blade1
*blade2

is this all I need to get a dual saber?
the big problem I'm having is getting it to compile to a glm. Heeeelp! Mars out!
 Tesla
10-06-2003, 12:22 AM
I'm no expert on Modelling or and the programs you guys use to make these awesome models, but my guess would be for a Staff saber you'd need to look at one of the originals that came with the game and see where the points for where the blade would be emitted, and set yours by adding whatever you'd need to. :)
(See i told you im no expert ;))

But if you need help creating a .sab file, then i could help you with that. :)

(A sab file is crucial to getting it to work in game.)
 Aaron Smith
10-06-2003, 2:46 AM
You really don't need ASSimalate to do a saber, Milkshape and MD3view are all you need. The vehicles however have some bones so you will need to do a skeleton first,(atleast the speeder bikes have some bones , 5 I think). If you want something more specific E mail me man, I've made dozens of saber hilts.
 Aaron Smith
10-07-2003, 2:49 AM
Actually the Qc file serves no purpose when it comes to sabers, you only need it because milk shape won't export an MD3 without generating a Qc file first. You can delete it before compiling with MD3 veiw, just create a skin file like player models have, import that and then export to GLM:D :rolleyes: :D
 =CNR=Preacher
10-10-2003, 7:06 AM
Originally posted by Aaron Smith
....., just create a skin file like player models have, import that and then export to GLM:D :rolleyes: :D

Urm, in slomo this means ... ? I ask it since I have probs with my skins to show up... I (think I) did it as you said, but still cannot get it to work 100%.

Do you mean you apply the skin in MDview? and then compile it? So applying skins in Ms3D,Gmax etc has no use..... ?
 NeoMarz1
10-10-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Scouttrooper
you'r right.. so what do you want to do with it neomarz ? are you making some kewl sabers or what ? :p

well yeah, I do plan to do a set.

Here is another question, if someone can answer this.

(keep in mind I'm using 3dMax)

Ok, I finally got the saber to import, but now the blades stick out the wrong direction. How can I get them to face the right direction? I tried spinning the blade tags, and it doest seem to move them like youd expect. I must be missing something here... Maybe I need to realign them somehow? Helllllp! mars out!
 Aaron Smith
10-11-2003, 1:13 AM
Yes apply the skin in MD3veiw and then export, once that is done when you zip it up into a pk3 you shouldn't need the skin file in it, the skin paths will be set as part of the GLM.

Marz send me or post a pic of your tag oreintation and I'll try and figure it out.
 NeoMarz1
10-11-2003, 5:51 PM
Originally posted by Aaron Smith
Yes apply the skin in MD3veiw and then export, once that is done when you zip it up into a pk3 you shouldn't need the skin file in it, the skin paths will be set as part of the GLM.

Marz send me or post a pic of your tag oreintation and I'll try and figure it out.

can I send you a model file, what file type would you like?
 NeoMarz1
10-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Scouttrooper
you mean to change the direction of the tag ? you have to point the green line of the axis to the direction you want :)

3d studio max must be more complicated than it needs to be. I changed the pivot points for the tag, like you said... but nothing.
I am getting mad! I even rotated the tags as well. I somehow was able to get them to flip the "other wrong direction", but after that nothing. I cant seem to effect the blades at all. I noticed there is a tags dropdown on MD3 view window, do I need to mess with that? Mars out!
 Kensai_Shinwa
11-04-2003, 6:49 PM
Actually, in 3ds max, you need to point the X axis up for the tag to work properly. If you would like some help, contact me at kensai@sotgclan.us, and I'd be happy to help you.
Page: 1 of 1