Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

speeder bike and STAP vehicles

Page: 2 of 2
 mace_sundancer
10-09-2003, 6:12 PM
not wanting to sound like some kinda dumbnoob, but what can these vehicles be used for besides SP mods/TCs like the AOTC one? i mean can they be used in multiplayer or what?

scoundrel, where can i get your skins from, particularly neeja halcyon?
 monsoontide
10-09-2003, 6:20 PM
Hi Duncan,

Just checking in to see if you recieved the e-mail with my STAP :bdroid2:

Nearly have the speeder bike finished as I redid all the UV maps as I found some great reference pix on the net that I've been able to use to help finish off some of the more obscure parts of the model.

Monsoontide

P.S. Will post updated pix when I can.
 Scoundrel
10-09-2003, 6:25 PM
scoundrel, where can i get your skins from, particularly neeja halcyon?

At this moment, nowhere. I havent released any of those.
Sorry, offtopic.
 El Sitherino
10-09-2003, 6:39 PM
Originally posted by NeoMarz1
Hey Duncan, I noticed you used my "Obi Sith variant" in one of your screenshots ;) Thanks for the publicity!
that was my screenie :p.

Anyways if you need help with your vehicles Monsoon I could help a bit.

I'm going to mess around with the .veh files some more duncan see if i can make it anybetter :p
 monsoontide
10-09-2003, 6:55 PM
Can always use as much help as possible when doing this sort of thing - as one can imagine, you can't do it all by yourself (At least in any sort of manageable time-frame :sweating: )

Where can I send you the file?

Monsoontide

To Mace-Sundancer - are you not playing Jedi Academy?! Vehicles now come as standard features in several SP & MP levels/maps. :D
 El Sitherino
10-09-2003, 7:26 PM
Originally posted by monsoontide
Where can I send you the file?
sirfobos2021 at yahoo.com
yes i know it's spelt phobos but it's from sealab 2021 you'll just have to have seen the show to understand ;)

Oh and I really love your dewback ^-^
 Duncan_10158
10-09-2003, 8:42 PM
monsoontide, i got your model and tried to bild it up like my own one. i brought it in game but it crashed. i am not absolutly sure, but i think ist not a problem of the .veh, .npc or any constraction thing. i think the model is missing an animation file, even if its empty, like the one for my vehicles. monsoontide, i sent you a mail with a more detailed report.

on the other side i can make assimilation thing to the glm and gla files for you, but our work will get quite complicated.

and back to my own STAP and speeder bike.
Hellfire, Insanesith, Strider74205, CraZy_B and Mariners2001,
you got the second version of them for three days now, is there any feedback, suggestion? how do you like the new speeder bike skin?

btw i got the new droideka model with some new animations in game, but dont expect to beta it before we finished these two vehicles :p
 monsoontide
10-09-2003, 9:02 PM
Hi Duncan,

Replied to your mail. However, I just downloaded a Softimage exporter for Lightwave, so will send you a file in that format as well as the milkshape one & I'll tag on the original Lightwave one just in case you can import it straight in .

Monsoontide
 Duncan_10158
10-09-2003, 9:38 PM
monsoontide, wait you are using lightwave? i dont know, but perhaps its possible to export models as XSI from Lightwave. then you should be able to use the assimilate tool too. do you got such a XSI exporter for lightwave? i might know where one could be, i gone look for it.
 El Sitherino
10-09-2003, 9:53 PM
well i've been playing with them in both mp and sp. I'm very pleased with them. :) you have my approval :D
 Zappa_0
10-09-2003, 10:00 PM
From what ive heard, I believe some one has already started on the Reek or is about finished with it. It might have been AOTC TC, you should talk with Anakin or Darklord60 about it.
 monsoontide
10-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Perhaps the cat thingy then (For whatever reason I just can't remember her name at the moment:p )

Or maybe someone has another suggestion for a (Star Wars Based) vehicle/beast that's not already being done.

Still having two versions of the Reek can't hurt - after all, there are numerous anakin models (At least in the works).

Duncan - Will try the Softimage exporter from lightwave but don't know if it will export UV maps etc
 DarkLord60
10-09-2003, 10:21 PM
Yes we have a reek but we are updating it.
 NeoMarz1
10-10-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Duncan_10158
NeoMarz1, there is a >JA models and skinmap< pack releasd by raven, there is a swoop in XSI frmat in it, the reference you request. if you have any other questions, go ahead, we all are learning here.

and about the skins, i could realy need some help, specialy about the shaders. i dont even know wahts possible, how could i let something look metalic? and so on.

Well, unfortunately I am no shader expert, I'm just learning myself. If I find out anything new I let you know. Personally I am having trouble opening that xsi format, it appears I need a 4.0 patch for studio max, cant find one yet. If it isnt too much trouble, maybe you could send me just the swoop bike in 3ds format (your using milkshape right?) I know there are alot of importers in milkshape, so if you cant do 3ds, maybe something else. Just e-mail me if you can. by the way, I looked at your skins... do you have regular wireframe UVMaps, so that I can follow the shapes better? Mars out
 NeoMarz1
10-10-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
that was my screenie :p.

Anyways if you need help with your vehicles Monsoon I could help a bit.

I'm going to mess around with the .veh files some more duncan see if i can make it anybetter :p

sure! any help would be great! can you help with importing to md3? I can send you a finished Zam speeder, but I want to see how it gets set up (so I can learn). what modeling program you use?
 monsoontide
10-10-2003, 12:32 AM
I have a link to a great shader tutorial for Quake 3 models - the essentials are still the same for Jedi Outcast models - though needs a bit of tweaking to get it to work. not sure how it applies to .glm models though.

:mauls: Curse you Raven for not making the process simpler ;)
(I thinks they should have made tags for the hands and feet positions on vehicles, so you don't have to either have a silly looking rider, or struugle with animating in Softimage XSi - which most mortals can't afford for themselves)
 El Sitherino
10-10-2003, 3:04 AM
Originally posted by NeoMarz1
sure! any help would be great! can you help with importing to md3? I can send you a finished Zam speeder, but I want to see how it gets set up (so I can learn). what modeling program you use? milkshape. i can't find my damned serial code though so i have to keep redownloading it >_<~
 Emon
10-10-2003, 3:16 AM
about the drivers animation, i dont think that is possible. we have to stik to the drivers possitions that are in game. i made my models so, that they fit >under< those sitting drivers. adding new driver animations would need adding it to the _humanoid.gla file and changing some code. thats not possible yet.

New animations through code have already been done for JO, it's the same for JA, we just need the SDK.
 monsoontide
10-10-2003, 5:02 AM
As promised, here's the link to the model shaders tutorial

- it's old and focused on Quake3, but fairly similar principles apply to Jedi Knight. It's a starting point anyway.

Shader Tutorial (http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/qbranch/tutorials/shaders-1.shtml)

:jfett:
 mace_sundancer
10-10-2003, 5:39 AM
monsoontide i don't have JA yet. lack of funds. so are vehicles in any mps modes oter than siege? or are they just in siege?
 monsoontide
10-10-2003, 3:02 PM
Reven kept the vehicles in Siege for its MP maps, but it's easily possible to spawn them in any map and someone has already put together a swoop racing mod.
You can even ride the wampa and rancor, and pilot the x-wing, tie-fighter and several others (Though the maps aren't big enough and the ship control SUCKS!)

BTW: I fixed my Skin Exceeds MAX_QPATH error but it still doesn't show up in game (Spawns invisible and crashes game if you try to get on it)

:mauls:
 Duncan_10158
10-10-2003, 3:40 PM
first, i took the decision to release my STAP and speeder_bike
models. like i discussed with monsoontide, i renamed the models:

stap_dun is the stap_dun04.pk3
speeder_bike_dun is the speeder_bike_dun03.pk3

these are the newest versions. i gone upload it today 24.00 GMT. till then you testers have still the chance to tell me about some urgent bug that is still in, so please hurry :)

NeoMarz1, sure i can sent you an other format version of the swoop. but i use 3ds max 4.2, so i could sent it you as max file if
you want.
about the skins, i can sent you the skinmaps of my models, its much easier to skin out of them. if you gone make a skin, we can bring it out as an alone standing version, if you agree.

monsoontide, thanks for the link to the shader creating. i worked my through it, but i think i didnt realy get it. it looks like it needs lot of experience for a good shader. the thruster glow is probably the best i can do for now.

BTW: I fixed my Skin Exceeds MAX_QPATH error but it still doesn't show up in game (Spawns invisible and crashes game if you try to get on it)
thats exactly the same point i got to, it crushes. i think its the missing gla file. we will see.
 Duncan_10158
10-10-2003, 4:03 PM
Originally posted by Emon
New animations through code have already been done for JO, it's the same for JA, we just need the SDK.

and Emon, you must have missed it, because i wrote:
thats not possible yet.

that words >not yet< mean something like >is not now, but is gone to be<. i am not absolutly sure about that, caue english is not my mother tongue. so tell me if i am wrong, thanks.

serious, new animations for JO were possible, but it was a so difficult and time consuming work, that nothing worth to mention was made. now in JA it looks much easier with the loadeble additional animation files. but if these additional animation files work for MP is another question. the driver animation is a set of about 30 sequences, so its not possible to make one positure and use it for a vehicle. but to attach the new made animations we need the JA SDK to change some code things. and this bring us back to the beginning, cause >thats NOT possible YET.<

thanks
 monsoontide
10-10-2003, 8:05 PM
Insane Sith - did you get my e-mail and files, or did I do what I did to Duncan and forget toattach the damn zip file ;)

That's what lack of sleep and working on 6 things at one time will do to you!

Let me know and I can send the files again later today.
 Emon
10-10-2003, 8:17 PM
Er, sorry, it sounds like you mean, "New animtions other than a cheap arm offset aren't possible," well, that isn't true. In JO you can fully animate anything you want. I know the JA SDK isn't out yet, so it's obviously not possible yet, but it sounded like you said it wasn't doable in JO either.

Edit: Actually you could replace or add new animations with GlaMerge right now, and you might be able to play them in SP or MP with ICARUS, but it would be extremely cumbersome.
 monsoontide
10-10-2003, 8:27 PM
Why Raven can't supply a workable skeleton/animator/compiler for jsut 3DSmax is beyond me. It would make doing things soooooo much easier than this whole model/weight in 3DSmax and animate in XSi thing.

Hell! I use Lightwave 7.5 & Milkshape so I'm out in the cold a bit - it's a real pain in the arse to get this stuff to work in the game once I've built it! Grrrr. (Just venting some frustration).

-Sigh-
 Emon
10-10-2003, 8:29 PM
If you don't weight, you can't have animations. And you can animate in 3ds max already, and Wudan is working on a freeware animation program specifically for JO/JA.
 CraZy_B
10-10-2003, 8:33 PM
Ive been a lil busy lately but I tested the vehicles as much as possible. I've created new handling coz InsaneSith's was just too "sensitive" for my taste. I'm satisfied with the way i have it now.

The STAP laser-- well I couldn't fix it:((But if you aim properly you're able to shood the rider from a vehicle)

I agree Duncan it's time to release these babies upon the world lol
 monsoontide
10-10-2003, 8:48 PM
That's good that Wudan is working on something - What programs will it support - What I mean (And am trying to say here really) is will it allow you to create a JK compatible animation file from 3DSmax or similar - Lightwave or milkshape support Please :P

I just want to be able to do it all in one app - since all these 3D apps have the ability to model/weight/texture/animate, it just seems silly to be hopping back and forth between them!

(What this means is "I'm stuck and can't make any headway by myself which frustrates the hell outta me 'cos I want to get these vehicles done!") :D

Which reminds me I also have another vehicle in the works :ewok:
 NeoMarz1
10-10-2003, 10:46 PM
NeoMarz1, sure i can sent you an other format version of the swoop. but i use 3ds max 4.2, so i could sent it you as max file if
you want.
about the skins, i can sent you the skinmaps of my models, its much easier to skin out of them. if you gone make a skin, we can bring it out as an alone standing version, if you agree.

Well, I finally got a new xsi patch. I may be fine for now... If I need more help, I'll mail you. Mars out
 Duncan_10158
10-10-2003, 11:24 PM
ok, i uploaded the models, everyone can get them now. here are the links the models on my site:

http://io.meskinaw.net/data/stap_dun04.zip)
http://io.meskinaw.net/data/speeder_bike_dun03.zip)

i submitted the files also to jk2files.com, but it can take some time till they load it up, you know. where else should i sent it?

Emon, sorry if i was bit too sarcastic, but here around i hear so much that something is possible and finaly nobody does it because its too difficult. this glamerge tool is realy a grear thing, but the problem is the big _humanoid.gla file. if i want to make a mod with new player animation then i need to add the hole file to my mod. that makes it big size and i can not add use an animation from somebody else. it would always need somebody that put all the things together, you know, it need some kind of central organisation to bring good mod ideas together. on the other side, most things that are made now are some kind of components, i can simply put the pk3s in my base folder and it works. the quake arena engine is made that way, but jo/ja made one exception to this, the animation, cause it is generaly for all players and it contains thousends of sequenses.

this hugh animation file is also the reason why its so difficult to mod, weighting, exporting, assimilate and all that. but without there couldnt be the saber fights.

CraZy_B, yeah, the shot direction is probably a coding thing. but i think we will be abel to fix that as soon the JA SDK is out :)
 NeoMarz1
10-11-2003, 4:20 PM
dang I missed you! (before you posted)... I just sent the new skins to your mail. Mars out
 DarkLord60
10-11-2003, 10:20 PM
Very cool!
 Duncan_10158
10-15-2003, 8:44 AM
the skins NeoMarz made for the stap and speeder bike are realy great. i made a misstake with the stap skinmap, so NeoMarz was so kind to do his skin for that again. i hope to release these reskined versions soon.

btw, is jk2files.com still in work? nothing happend there for five days. did they stop uploading files or is everyone on hollydays?
 NeoMarz1
10-15-2003, 12:41 PM
the skins NeoMarz made for the stap and speeder bike are realy great. i made a misstake with the stap skinmap, so NeoMarz was so kind to do his skin for that again. i hope to release these reskined versions soon.

btw, is jk2files.com still in work? nothing happend there for five days. did they stop uploading files or is everyone on hollydays?

Thats would suck if JK2files turned out like JediKnightII.com, and became a frozen site :( That would really be a big bummer, Probably they are taking some time off. Either that or they are working on plans to include JA in thier format a little better. Mars out
 monsoontide
10-15-2003, 12:59 PM
Hey Guys,

If you haven't already, upload to
pcgamemods.com (http://www.pcgamemods.com)

You can upload youself and add your own screenshots in different resolutions. Instant results!!!
Page: 2 of 2