Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Bah Stupid Winzip or is it Stupid Me?

Page: 1 of 1
 TevaZul
10-01-2003, 4:57 AM
Gah! I have some custom Skins I made some for multiplayer and some for single player, I followed the skining tutorial about turning them into .PK3 files but when do it I always end up with .pk3.zip files, And Since I cant get that to work, my bots wont display either. Clearly Its some stupid mistake but I am stuck. Plz Help.
 peloquin
10-01-2003, 5:01 AM
hehe ok a .pk3 is simply a .zip renamed so after you use winzip you're left with "whatever.zip" all you have to do is rename it to "whatever.pk3"
 StormHammer
10-01-2003, 7:23 AM
peloquin is right. It's really as simple as renaming the file and taking off the .zip extension. :)
 Astrotoy7
10-01-2003, 8:11 AM
Just pointing this out, because it drove me a bit nuts until I figured it out....

To be able to rename file extension, as the above posters are indicating, you have to set windows to allow you to do this and not just tag everything it recognises. To do this, open a folder, any normal plain old folder, from the tools menu at the the top, go into "Folder options"

then go to the "view" section... you'll see the "advanced settings" underneath, a few check boxes down theres one labeled "Hide extensions for known file types" - UNCHECK THIS !

You can then apply to all folders(above) or just keep it in that folder - ie if you just want to do it for that folder containing the skins files etc......

Now whenever you see a file it will have its extension name next to... ie . darthmaul.zip, just rename to darthmaul.pk3 and it WON'T be recognised as a zip file now, but as a .pk3 file which is what you want !!

HOPE THAT HELPED !!!

Have fun !!!

MTFBWYA
 Sivy
10-01-2003, 9:31 AM
i had the same problem when i updated to winzip 9.
winzip 8 was easy, you just typed pk3 and it would make it a pk3, but with winzip 9 you type in .pk3 and it makes it a zip file called .pk3.

well i solved the problem by clicking on 'new' and then changing the file types to all files (*.*) then when i type in pk3 it makes it a pk3.
 TevaZul
10-01-2003, 12:51 PM
Thanks I knew it was somthing stupid Like that, I followed Astrotoy7's advice and it worked perfectly, thanks for the help!
 Buffy
10-02-2003, 3:12 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
Just pointing this out, because it drove me a bit nuts until I figured it out....

To be able to rename file extension, as the above posters are indicating, you have to set windows to allow you to do this and not just tag everything it recognises. To do this, open a folder, any normal plain old folder, from the tools menu at the the top, go into "Folder options"

then go to the "view" section... you'll see the "advanced settings" underneath, a few check boxes down theres one labeled "Hide extensions for known file types" - UNCHECK THIS !

You can then apply to all folders(above) or just keep it in that folder - ie if you just want to do it for that folder containing the skins files etc......

Now whenever you see a file it will have its extension name next to... ie . darthmaul.zip, just rename to darthmaul.pk3 and it WON'T be recognised as a zip file now, but as a .pk3 file which is what you want !!

HOPE THAT HELPED !!!

Have fun !!!

MTFBWYA

May I ask question ? I dont have winzip and I dont think I can do by my felf but ... I have some really Favorites models and mini mod .pk3 files from JK2... can you open then and chang to can use for JA too ?
 peloquin
10-02-2003, 4:33 AM
Buffy,
If the .pk3 is for a model that you want to use in multiplayer then all you have to do is drop it into your base folder for Academy. No need to change anything, models from outcast will work fine in Academy.

If you wanted a model to be in the single player game then there is a little editing you have to do and you will need winzip for that or another program that'll compress files. I don't mind helping you out with that if there's something you're after let me know and I'll send it to you.

As for other mods that aren't just models or player conversions I'm not too sure if they'll work as I haven't tried any outcast mod that's not just models for Academy. Maybe if you tell us what exactly the mod is we could help you better.
 Starfire13
10-02-2003, 10:36 AM
When creating the pk3 file in Winzip, put it in quotes like this:
"playasyodamod.pk3" instead of just typing playasyodamod.pk3.

The quotes tell Winzip to use the exact name you specified, without adding a .zip file extension. That'll solve the problem.
Page: 1 of 1