Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lucas saying that he won't let further SW films be made

Page: 1 of 1
 Remirol Nacnud
09-29-2003, 7:40 PM
I know this is old news, but I thought I'd bring it up.

You all might know that Lucas promised that Ep3 would be the last of the movies(and he even had legal documents made to this effect)

Although I respect his creative rights, I still think that it's a poor decision.

Let's picture it, 50 years from now.
There might have been great advances that mean that a new film good be made with perfect VR technology, so it's as though you're actually there.
They might even be able to make total immersion games(so that you yourself leap around with a light sabre, but within your own mind)

Just think of what Lucas could be depriving of future generations. It might be that trying to get your kids to watch star wars is like trying to get kids today to watch ANYTHING in black and white.

Hopefully there'll be more people like me(17) who love the classics. :)
 ZBomber
09-29-2003, 10:29 PM
First off, Lucas would die before he could finish them.
Secondv off all, many people wpuldn't want a Star Wars movie if Lucas didn't make it.
 Lynk Former
09-29-2003, 11:37 PM
No one but Lucas can make a Star Wars movie. Ultimately, it's his vision.
 ZBomber
09-29-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Lynk Former
No one but Lucas can make a Star Wars movie. Ultimately, it's his vision.

Yeh, but he has the scripts written. It sitll just wouldn't be good if Lucas didn't film it. :(
 wassup
09-30-2003, 12:33 AM
Plus the EU is so messed up and cluttered with mad Imperials and Cloned Emperors that it would probably be VERY hard for a storyline combining all of these elements to work without the expertise and experience of Mr. GL himself.
 Kain
09-30-2003, 3:20 AM
George Lucas lost his damn mind long ago. He's gonna screw the next movie up just like he did its predicessors. How do I know? Midiclorians.
 Remirol Nacnud
09-30-2003, 6:46 PM
I've gotta say....it's the story I love, not necessarily the direction.
The direction is good, but no-one else has ever directed a star wars, so you can't say that GL is the only one who could do it.
 ZBomber
09-30-2003, 8:54 PM
Originally posted by MydnightPsion
George Lucas lost his damn mind long ago. He's gonna screw the next movie up just like he did its predicessors. How do I know? Midiclorians.

Midicolorians were first introduced in Pre Trilogy. :p
 Katarn07
10-01-2003, 1:10 AM
Originally posted by Remirol Nacnud
I've gotta say....it's the story I love, not necessarily the direction.
The direction is good, but no-one else has ever directed a star wars, so you can't say that GL is the only one who could do it.

Ummm, ESB and RotJ were not directed by him, nor were the screenplays by him. I like the prequels, but some poor choices as far as the design and casting and directing were made, They suffer compared to the originals in these respects. That and they conflict with EU. Lots hate EU, lots love them, some are neutral. I happen to love the EU. Without it, would I love SW as much as I do? I don't think so. 3 movies would not have held my attention for 8years (that's half my life) as a bunch of books and video games have.

Episode III looks great. I got a glimpse of Bail in an outfit that looks like an Imperial officer's, the buttons are unlabeled blinking things straight out of the OT, and Anakin looks like I imagined him when the 'Clone War' was nothing more than 2 words mentioned once or twice in the movies. BIG improvement over the last 2's enviroment. Ewan's performance as Obi-Wan is remarkable as well. Hope the Tarkin actor is good.

As for making more movies? No, not at all. The EU will carry on the saga for years to come if the movies aren't enough to hold your attention. And I understand where you're coming from with future generations viewing it as a black and white film....
 Remirol Nacnud
10-01-2003, 2:38 PM
Well, if what you said about the last two episodes is true(GL not directing them) then Lynk Former is wrong anyway.

I get the feeling that a lot of you don't like Ep1+2. To be honest, I thought that Ep1 wasn't anything special. But Ep2 was great.

And yeah, McGreggor makes a great character.
 Rogue15
10-01-2003, 2:43 PM
I don't care, as long as they still continue making the books and games...EU FOREVER!!!!!
 Darth Groovy
10-01-2003, 5:11 PM
I don't think he should after all the critisism he has been subjected too. He's getting pretty old, and all good things have an alpha, and an omega. Let's just hope SW doesn't suffer the same fate as Star Trek.:(
 swphreak
10-01-2003, 5:33 PM
I could care less if he or someone else made more movies. The EU dwarfs the movies. And K07 is right, if it weren't for the EU, Star Wars would have been over after I saw RoTJ. although, I hope they someday convert the books into movies, I doubt that'll ever happen, but the Clone Wars Cartoon is a big step for Star Wars since it's Star Wars, but not in a movie.
 Katarn07
10-01-2003, 7:36 PM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
but the Clone Wars Cartoon is a big step for Star Wars since it's Star Wars, but not in a movie.

*cough* Droids! *cough* Ewoks! *cough*

Don't count on the Clone Wars being too special ;)

I change my mind about more movies being made. Go for it. SW will always be special to me, despite how bad the future may be with weirdo movies. I second Phreakie though: EU into movies would be good. Even if they were animated (nice, decent, realistic animation would be necessary IMO. No 'cell' or anime) and the special effects could be done in a 3D format, like the space battles and all? Yeah.... :cool: (in the EU-lovers dreams! :p)
 ZBomber
10-01-2003, 9:34 PM
Daring said that the Clone War cartoons will be about a minute each.. fun.....
 Jaden Quade
10-01-2003, 11:51 PM
I have a question for anyone..... What would your response be if a 'Shadows of the Empire' film was produced (by any director)? I personally wouldn't mind, but im sure it would raise many issues...

:firehead
 Katarn07
10-02-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Daring said that the Clone War cartoons will be about a minute each.. fun.....

Nah, he's way off! 5 minutes! :rolleyes: :p Why not make them a whole 30 minutes? :confused:

And to Jaden Quade: Right, I believe that and the NJO would be the best choices for some animated movie/ miniseries. It'd be good. Those are the most epic involving the heroes of the OT. :)
 Lynk Former
10-02-2003, 5:20 AM
Originally posted by Remirol Nacnud
Well, if what you said about the last two episodes is true(GL not directing them) then Lynk Former is wrong anyway.

*ahm* GL may not have directed but the director isn't always the head honcho. GL has his say in everything about these movies. EVERYTHING. He funds and it is HIS vision from the very begining from the script to the opening night.
 lotr-sam0711
10-02-2003, 1:35 PM
This stinks!!!
 Jedi_Monk
10-02-2003, 1:35 PM
I think you overestimate the relevance of the EU in Star War's survival, my friend. It's true that I read EU before the Prequels, but I know a few people who have never picked up an SW novel and were as excited as myself at the announcement that the Prequels would be released.

People have been waiting for the Prequels since they found out that A New Hope was Episode IV; the only thing that would have prevented the Prequels being a smash would have been if Return of the Jedi had bombed and killed the momentum of the series.

The Phantom Menace ended up as the second highest grossing movie of all time--you think that everyone who went to see it had read the EU? If so, then you're sadly mistaken. Do you think that the hype over the new Indiana Jones movie is because of the Indiana Jones books (there are a few out there)? I doubt that, as well.

Frankly, the EU is not very good. Taken in a vacuum, without the Star Wars brand name, they would be mediocre pulp fiction at best. They are completely devoid of all meaning; it is shallow, it has no social commentary, no relevance.

Anyway... if future technology allowed you to get a complete VR experience at a film, then they would make a Star Wars game with it, if the public is interested in one. VR would be a completely different media from the motion picture.

Lucas is "The Maker"; nobody else knows more about the Star Wars galaxy and the people and creatures who inhabit it. Nobody else's vision would be the true vision. Maybe others could extrapolate from things he has said, and make something close to what Lucas would have made, but it wouldn't be canon because canon can only come from Lucas' head.

Lucas lets them make books and games because the media are so different from movies as to (usually) not take anything away from the movies. Just the fact that you can see Star Wars being played by real people with the environments fully realized on the screen gives the movies more weight and makes them feel more "real." True, you see things realized and happening with real actors on the screen when you play a game like DF2: Jedi Knight, but everybody knows that when the character they're playing dies, that it's not permanent and doesn't affect continuity. Lucas doesn't want more movies to be made because his is the vision, and he doesn't want anyone else coming into his sandbox and building castles equally tall as his own. He wants his movies to stand as the difinitive Star Wars, and I honestly can't blame him.

However, I think there could be compromises made that would convince Lucas to let somebody else make a movie in the Star Wars galaxy. First, it cannot in any way involve the characters of Lucas' movies; it cannot touch or affect the continuity of Lucas' movies. Second, it cannot have the visual weight of Lucas' films; perhaps it would be made completely in CG, like Final Fantasy. Third, it cannot have the appearant weight of canon, since only Lucas can make canon; such a film would have to make prominent use of the Infinities Logo.

I think that if these three things were met, then Lucas would give permission to let somebody else interpret Star Wars onto the big screen.
 vegietto
10-03-2003, 11:55 AM
i agree that not one could make a star wars movie like Lucas but i think they should make one movie after Ep3 so everyone cold see what happened to luke,liea,han,and chewbacca, i mean i know i wouldn't mind to see i mean i have read the book but i want to see it not read it so i think one more after ep3 and not more after that
 Lynk Former
10-03-2003, 1:15 PM
no, ep 1, 2 and 3 are valid and must be made of course. Anymore and it's just a hollywood sequel fest made to make money and please a bunch of people who'll end up being disappointed anywayz
 Shado Vorn
10-03-2003, 2:21 PM
I can respect the fact that Episode 3 is Lucas's last film. It would be a tragedy and an offense though, for the entire Star Wars universe to end there as well. I think it would be kind of cool through time if my children could enjoy seeing a whole new series of SW movies with all new characters, new plots, new special effects and the like. It would just be sad to see it die at E3. Besides, it was my dream as a child to star in a Star Wars flick, I can't very well do that if it ends with E3 now can I?

My opinion on E1 and E2 is that it kind of went in order of goodness ... hear me out for a second. Episode 1 wasn't the greatest of the series, but it was still good and entertaining. I thought Episode 2 was great, and an improvement from E1. Episode 3, I expect to be really good. Going on to 4, being better than 3, 5, better than 4, and 6, better than 5. Maybe that's how Lucas wanted it all along. He wanted it to start off good, and end in sheer perfection. I won't be suprised when they come out with the entire dvd set of E1 to E6 and people think that E6 was the best one. It was in my opinion. Like I said, maybe that's how GL planned it all along.

I find it kind of selfish to end the entire movie series at E3 when more movies can be made and be successful as well. Maybe some new director could come out of the woodwork and turn Star Wars into something that can still be enjoyed, by both new fans, and the fans of old. Maybe I'm the one who's being selfish ... I don't care! More movies dammit! MORE I SAY!
 Boba Rhett
10-04-2003, 2:39 AM
I don't want to see the Star Wars universe go the way of Star Trek and the NJO is the worst thing to happen to the star wars universe ever.
 Lynk Former
10-04-2003, 8:59 AM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
I don't want to see the Star Wars universe go the way of Star Trek and the NJO is the worst thing to happen to the star wars universe ever.

have i ever told you how much i adore you rhett? XD
 Jaden Quade
10-06-2003, 9:32 AM
i agree! it'll just piss me off if SW turned out like Star trek...
It goes against everything i live for

swphreak
10-06-2003, 9:54 AM
... and the NJO is the worst thing to happen to the star wars universe ever.

I'm going to kill you.

*gets lightsaber*
 Rogue15
10-06-2003, 5:52 PM
NJO is the worst thing to happen to the star wars universe ever.

nah..the worst thing to happen to the star wars universe was the death star being designed by an alien species. either that or jar jar binks.
 ZBomber
10-06-2003, 7:13 PM
Originally posted by Rogue15
nah..the worst thing to happen to the star wars universe was the death star being designed by an alien species. either that or jar jar binks.

The Genosaians are actually an extremely smart species, and I'm sure it wasn't made just by Genosians.
 Rogue15
10-07-2003, 12:46 AM
hehe the worst thing was the sarlaac's beak, making people pissed off cause of boba fett and eu.....damn you lucas!!!
 Jaden Quade
10-07-2003, 12:13 PM
hehe the worst thing was the sarlaac's beak, making people pissed off cause of boba fett and eu.....damn you lucas!!!

so true..... much of the EU was destroyed when the enhanced ROTJ came out!!!! :(

Pedro The Hutt
10-07-2003, 1:47 PM
How about the combined strenght of the Death Star not being thought up by Tarkin, the sarlaac beak and the NJO being the worst things to happen to the Star Wars universe lol.
 Jedi_Monk
10-07-2003, 7:47 PM
I'm going to kill you.

*gets lightsaber*

You'll have to go through me, first! :slsaber:

The worst thing to happen to Star Wars was Timothy Zahn, period.
 ZBomber
10-07-2003, 8:58 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Monk

o_O

What are you talkign about? I just read Dark Force Rising, I love it!
 XERXES
10-07-2003, 9:08 PM
perhaps he doesnt wany anybody to outdo him again, like they did in ESB and ROTJ.
 swphreak
10-08-2003, 9:42 AM

You either don't like to read, or just sucking up. Zahn's books are some of the best in the EU
 Katarn07
10-08-2003, 8:25 PM

Actually, Alan Dean Foster's Splinter of the Mind's Eye was the first EU and very inaccurate to both the films and EU. Enjoyable if you make things up to tie it all in.
 Jedi_Monk
10-09-2003, 12:48 AM
Zahn's Trilogy is technically incredible. It has a great story, memorable and likable characters and a good villian. Dark Force Rising was the worst book of the trilogy because it dragged; felt like filler, to me.

Zahn's Trilogy is comparable to Batman Forever. After I saw it, I thought it was a great, fun movie, and considered it the best of the Batman franchise. And then Batman and Robin came out, and I saw how terrible it was, and I noticed the seeds of every awful thing that happened appearant in Batman Forever. Batman Forever started a trend in the franchise that resulted in the monstrosity that was Batman and Robin.

I compare Zahn's Trilogy to Batman Forever because it did the same thing to the Star Wars book franchise that Batman Forever did to the Batman movie franchise. After you read Zahn's Trilogy, you think that this is an awesome story arch. And then you go on to read Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy, and then Hambly's books, and on and on as the franchise just sinks lower and lower in quality and imagination.

Zahn changed the essence of Star Wars in his books, and subsiquent authors followed this trend. Zahn wrote Star Wars as straight science fiction, not as science fantacy, not as an apendage of the monomyth. The Star Wars movies are classics not because they're just sci-fi, but because they reflect universal themes. Sci-fi is always novelty, but the monomyth contains objective truths about human nature and the journy through life.

And that is why I say Zahn was the worst thing that happened to Star Wars. He was the first person in almost a decade who was allowed to write Star Wars; the first allowed to write about what happened after Return of the Jedi. And he started the trend toward sci-fi.

Actually, Alan Dean Foster's Splinter of the Mind's Eye was the first EU and very inaccurate to both the films and EU. Enjoyable if you make things up to tie it all in.
Foster's Splinter of the Mind's Eye is my favorite EU novel. I don't care that it doesn't square with the movies, or the rest of the EU. What matters to me is that it captures the kind of pulp-fiction, science-fantasy sensibility that has the movies, and so more fully captures the essence, the feeling, of Star Wars than any of the other EU novels.
 ZBomber
10-09-2003, 6:14 PM
Zahn's Trilogy is technically incredible. It has a great story, memorable and likable characters and a good villian. Dark Force Rising was the worst book of the trilogy because it dragged; felt like filler, to me.

I'll agree, lots of little bits of useless info, but so much is based off of the Thrawn Trilogy, and it is a good story. ;)
Page: 1 of 1