Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Really dumb question about the .png files...

Page: 1 of 1
 jackhammer34
09-27-2003, 6:15 PM
I don't have a 3d program to edit the models, so when I'm fooling around with skinning I generally edit the skins using photoshop. However, the .png files for several of the models have multiple layers, and they aren't opened in any graphic editing program I have.

An example is \GameData\Base\models\players\jedi_hm\vest02.png

The gray undershirt is visible when I view the file under ACDsee, but when it's opened under photoshop the spots are blank. I've tried everything I know about photoshop (which is understandbly very limited) but I can't seem to edit the missing bits.

Are there any graphic editing programs that will allow me to edit the individual layers? Or am I missing something in my graphics editors entirely?
 SparedLife
09-28-2003, 6:05 AM
I believe the problem is in the Photoshop PNG plugin. I too use both ACDSee and Photoshop. I usually use ACDSee to convert the format to TGA or BMP to edit in Photoshop but that loses the PNG info. I haven't looked to see if there is an updated PNG plugin for Photoshop yet. I think it's not converting the alpha channel from the PNG when it opens the file.
 =CNR=Preacher
10-02-2003, 12:09 PM
Macromedia Fireworks works great with these files, since it's standard is .png :)
 svцsh
10-23-2003, 3:45 AM
Ok I know what you mean jackhammer34 I'm having the exact same problem I open the original files in Photoshop 7.0 and check for an alpha channel and there is none I view the .png's in acdsee 5.0 and I can see the shading but the transparent parts are white manly because you can not create a new file with transparent canvas like in Photoshop. Now fireworks will not sort it out this problem. I want to make new skins and I want them to look good and have Alpha transparency not just a big hole for the shaders to show thru if any one knows the answer please, please get back to me :D

This what I see

http://www.angelfire.com/crazy2/xclone_0101/images/skin-help.jpg)
 eidospsogos
10-23-2003, 2:47 PM
this is not a dumb question at all.....in fact i had no idea that they were not supposed to be completely transparent.....i know that the transparent parts in the icons do not color change and that is why they are transparent, and that the transparent parts in their corresponding skins are where the non-transparent parts shown in the icon show up in the transparent parts of the skin.....however i did not know, that the transparent areas were not supposed to be completely transparent....this would explain alot, as i am having troubles with the icon.png's and their corresponding skins while trying to create a player class....if anyone can look at these threads and answer any of the questions, i would appreciate it.....don't know where you people have been through all my trouble, but you guys obvgiously know more about this stuff than myself.....so i will post the links to a couple of threads, and if anyone can answer any of the questions it would be VERY VERY MUCH appreciated.....

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115178)

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115449)

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115850)

as far as limitations in photoshop 7, for what i paid for the damn program i feel there should not be any such limitations.....so if anyone knows a plug-in that allows photoshop to open the file correctly......or a program that will open .png files correctly that info would be greatly appreciated as well
 eidospsogos
10-23-2003, 9:43 PM
i have read up on it and it seems that macromedia fireworks is a much better program for .png images....though if you can't afford to buy it, (and don't want to break any laws) i have heard GIMP is also a very good program for handling .png images
 eidospsogos
10-23-2003, 10:23 PM
okay fireworks does not seem to fix the problem either.....does anyone know an image editing program that will work with these files....?
 svцsh
10-24-2003, 12:02 AM
Until we here from someone at Raven (Michael Chang Gummelt ) I think we are all in the dark on this one. If any one knows how to VIEW, OPEN, and MODIFY the SEMI transparent .png feel free to let us know Thanks I want to get started but not waist my time, Messing around.
 eidospsogos
10-24-2003, 12:31 AM
yeah same here.....i would like to be able to incorporate the color selector into what i'm doing....merely for the aspect of having it flow with the rest of the game.....but i'm about to give up and just go back to skinning......i don't need color selectability for what i'm doing, but i liked the idea of being able to add it......at least now i know why i was having the issues i was having with the icons in my SP class.....

but though it would be a fun possibility to explore.....it is not really necessary......

i wouldn't count on any help from Raven.....i wouldn't even count on the SP source code being revealed to anyone except those with the intent of releasing a commercial expansion pack for the game.....
Page: 1 of 1