Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JA Skinning Tutorial

Page: 1 of 1
 silverskull_86
09-25-2003, 1:24 AM
Can somebody out there direct me to a skiining tutorial for making new player selections for JA that isn't just a JKII tutorial with a new JA intro. Thanks
 sights0d
10-09-2003, 2:44 AM
I'm not sure that you need one. I just made a couple skins for JA and I just did the same exact stuff that I did when I skinned for JO. Just move the files to the JA base folder... Doesn't that work for other folks?
 =CNR=Preacher
10-10-2003, 6:26 AM
I guess he is more looking for the "jaden" selection part tutorial, then for a regilar skin tut. (and yes they work the same way as in jko :))
 Prime
10-10-2003, 2:50 PM
Originally posted by =CNR=Preacher
I guess he is more looking for the "jaden" selection part tutorial... I don't think this has been figured out completely yet, has it?
 =CNR=Preacher
10-10-2003, 8:49 PM
I was following the topic, but I also have the Idea it has not been worked out completely..... maybe I also should give it a try with some of my Jan skins and putting them in one selectable Jaden one... hmmm
 Dethsaint
10-11-2003, 1:52 PM
Well, I'm pretty much done with making one of the "customizable skins" although I need to figure some stuff out.

Basically, you'll need to base it on one of the already made designs unless you can make a whole new model for clothes etc. After that, you just compile it like a JKII skin and put in a .pk3 - the skins parts you've made should show up in the player selection correctly according to the model they are based upon

I haven't figured out how to make changable colors though, but I think I've got the main idea behind it :)
 =CNR=Preacher
10-12-2003, 2:17 PM
There's a text file which tells which colors can be chosen for what model, so I would say include the same text file and add your own model to it?

Anyway... tomorrow I'll start working on one selectable char. based on the Jan Model (basically just X skins which can be applied)... as soon as I got the solution for your "problem"i'll post it here...
 JevTaliz
10-14-2003, 1:16 AM
Dethsaint, I'm at exactly the same point as you. I've done a handful of cutomizations, even uploaded my Aayla Secura reskin for the "Jayden" twi'lek female to pcgamemods.com a little while ago. But no colors yet.

The key to that is the shader and making the .png correctly. I think I've got the former figured out, but I don't have a prog that can really handle the later. I can see the "colorizable" parts with ACDSee, but can't really duplicate them in photoshop... I will continue to research this.
 JediLurker
10-16-2003, 5:10 AM
I've gotten it to work by editing the players.shader file and using Photoshop 7.
 Dethsaint
10-16-2003, 1:03 PM
Originally posted by JediLurker
I've gotten it to work by editing the players.shader file and using Photoshop 7.

So basically you made the areas that should be colorable transparent in photshop and then edited the .shader or...?

Hmmm... Could you post the contents of the players.shader file here?
 JediLurker
10-16-2003, 6:24 PM
Yeah, I edited torso_f1, one of the human female torsos, with a simple recolor of the two .png files, torso_06 and torso_06_lower. I did absolutely nothing with the transparencies. I just left them alone. I saved them as torso_08 and torso_08_lower in the same format. I skipped 7 because I wasn't sure if it would interfere with the hoth gear. I made a new skin file by changing all references to torso_06 in torso_f1.skin to torso_08 and saved it as torso_h1.skin, again skipping G because that is the hoth gear.

For the players.shader, all I did was copy the entry for jedi_hf/torso_06 and jedi_hf/torso_06_lower and pasted it directly below them, changing all instances of torso_06 to my own torso, torso_08 and torso_08_lower. Then repeat the process for the icon, which is listed as icon_torso_f1.

It's important to note that you should copy the entries that belong to the body part you edited, since there seem to be subtle differences between a few of them.

So the new entries I have are as follows:

models/players/jedi_hf/torso_08
{
{
map models/players/jedi_hf/torso_08
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuseEntity
}
{
map models/players/jedi_hf/torso_08
blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
}

models/players/jedi_hf/torso_08_lower
{
cull twosided
{
map models/players/jedi_hf/torso_08_lower
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuseEntity
}
{
map models/players/jedi_hf/torso_08_lower
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
}

(Then, for the icon: )

models/players/jedi_hf/icon_torso_h1
{
nopicmip
nomipmaps
{
map models/players/jedi_hf/icon_torso_h1
rgbGen identity
}
{
map models/players/jedi_hf/icon_torso_h1
rgbGen vertex
}
}

(Note: They are exactly the same as the torso I edited, but are now pointing to my custom skin rather than the original. Fire up the game and give it a try. It should work.)

(Edit: Also, others who use Photoshop complain of getting just white blocks instead of the transparencies. I don't know why this is, as it keeps the transparencies for me. Anyway, if Photoshop is doing this, you might try another graphics program to give this a shot.)
 Dethsaint
10-16-2003, 8:28 PM
Thanks a lot - Now I know what to spend the weekend on :D

I hope this method works since my skin is partially based on the default torso_04 ;)
 JediLurker
10-16-2003, 8:46 PM
No problem. I have encountered a small problem with a couple of the icons, namely with zabrak leg parts. However, the parts themselves still function perfectly, just the icon pictures are distorted. Everything else I've tried thus far has worked very well.
 JevTaliz
10-18-2003, 2:52 PM
Yea, that method I had imagined would work, but it still doesn't allow for the creation of new custom color parts (like in different arrangements and such). The frustrating part is that with ACDSee I can see the greyscale parts that exist underneath the transparency. I just don't know how to make one. Would simply making a two layer .PNG do it? I might try that for my next experiment.

Wish me luck :p
 SaRGoNNaS
10-24-2003, 6:50 PM
u see photoshop interprets the transparent parts of the images and makes them white when it saves them..so theyre no longer transparent.

macromedia fireworks however leaves true transparencies...

what i did was bring the photoshoped image into fireworks and used the wand to remove (by hitting delete) the custom colored areas.

however there is some file or config which allows the icons to display your custom clothes in the icon itself while its not actually contained in the icon...

in the icon there only seems to be the trim which is color selectable.

i have no idea how to make proper icons for the cusom skins.
but my colors and custom clothes actually work in game.
 sights0d
11-05-2003, 3:26 AM
Making icons is simple... at least in PS. I just opened a default in one of the character's files and copied it to the clipboard. When you make a new document, it defaults the doc's size to the item on the clipboard. Then I just paint blue, render a lens flare, and make a lighting effect darkening the edges. After that, it's simply a matter of pasting a photo of your character (cutting off the parts that aren't your character) and flattening the image. Takes about 2 minutes (minus the cutting).

Hope that helped.
 eidospsogos
11-05-2003, 12:35 PM
okay people i really think you should look around the forum before posting this silly stuff that has already been answered....

NO, photoshop does not convert transparencies to white blocks, if you save the image in aformat that supports transparencies.....the .png files however have nothing to do with your TRADITIONAL transparencies, as they are NOT transparencies.....they are semi-transparent alpha channels.....they should not show up as transparent at all.....they are simply masked areas in a channel that should show up as semi-transparent, which allows for a skin to retain textures through a color-change....(and fireworks does not yhandle this correctly either as i have the both programs)

however, here is a link to aplugin for photoshop that will translate the file correctly....

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116358)

here is a link to a tutorial for creating new SP classes.....

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116050)
Page: 1 of 1