Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

In game email and Unlocked Containers

Page: 1 of 1
 Progman
09-20-2003, 3:47 AM
First of all, I love the game. Revolutionary xp and skill system. It's so nice to be able to have categorized xp to the level that SWG has taken it. There is still some xp grinding but there are different ways of doing it, and this is still a vast improvement on camping mob A for hours and hours to grind through a level like most MMORPG's.

Anyway, this brings me to a couple of ideas for improvement and/or a fix.
1. In game e-mail. I loved this idea when I saw it for the first time in the game and I still do. My one gripe and it is something that drives me nuts every day, is that there is no way to save emails in folders ie: outlook or just about any other email program. I'm primarily an artisan/merchant and I am constantly getting emails about special request etc. I also get guild emails. There are incessant auction related emails that I wouldn't probably keep as well as various messages from friends and business partners in game that it would be nice to be able to refer back to for details etc. I'm not sure if memory is issue or what but there could be a limit to it, like only 5 folders of email with a max of 20 in each folder or such. Maybe more like the memory limit on data pads. This may sound trivial to some but I would praise the SWG gods if email folders were ever implemented.

2. Unlocked Containers. Maybe I'm just not too bright or maybe this is a bug or possibly I've missed something. I've bought a couple different unlocked containers off of the bazaar and for a while they worked great as extra storage in my inventory but then they suddenly stopped letting me put anything into them. I can take the items out but whenever I try to put something in I get a message saying that I haven't been given permission to use that container. Any ideas?

Ok, I know I only said a couple of ideas but something else just popped up in my head. That would be the limits on bazaar pricing and on player lots. 3000 credits just seems rediculously low to me. Maybe I'm missing the point but what about charging 10 credits per K asked on an item or 2% of the retail or something like that instead of limiting the price? Just an idea.

Last but not least is the limits on player lots. I can see the need for this to a certain degree however I think it may be a good idea to expand this a bit. What about granting lots to be bought for an exhorbant price? Like 100k? Or making it a surveyor skill to create Lot Deeds and make their cost to construct high enough that Surveyors would charge something similar? Maybe make it so everyone gets 10 free lots like it is now but you can buy up to 5 more from surveyors?

Well, that's all I have for now. I welcome any feedback or alternate ideas for these issues.
Thanks,
 Gershin
09-22-2003, 5:42 PM
Originally posted by Progman
[B]1. In game e-mail. I loved this idea when I saw it for the first time in the game and I still do. My one gripe and it is something that drives me nuts every day, is that there is no way to save emails in folders ie: outlook or just about any other email program. I'm primarily an artisan/merchant and I am constantly getting emails about special request etc. I also get guild emails. There are incessant auction related emails that I wouldn't probably keep as well as various messages from friends and business partners in game that it would be nice to be able to refer back to for details etc. I'm not sure if memory is issue or what but there could be a limit to it, like only 5 folders of email with a max of 20 in each folder or such. Maybe more like the memory limit on data pads. This may sound trivial to some but I would praise the SWG gods if email folders were ever implemented.

I agree whole heartedly. I think they should be automatically distributed to the certain folders. Like, one folder for auction sale e-mails. One for guild e-mails, which would only be granted to you if you joined a guild. One for general e-mails. Then allow you to create up to one more folder if desired. Like, a save folder that you were talking about. For e-mails such as questions about business etc.

I noticed the whole thing with unlocked containers also. Very annoying. Don't know what to say really, maybe it's a bug.

Last but not least is the limits on player lots. I can see the need for this to a certain degree however I think it may be a good idea to expand this a bit. What about granting lots to be bought for an exhorbant price? Like 100k? Or making it a surveyor skill to create Lot Deeds and make their cost to construct high enough that Surveyors would charge something similar? Maybe make it so everyone gets 10 free lots like it is now but you can buy up to 5 more from surveyors?

This is the only part I disagree with. I think 10 lots is more than enough for anyone who doesn't use personal chem extractors or wind generators...anything of that sort. For those type of characters, 10 is probably even too many lots. However, I do think that artisans, or chars who have pursued professions that could lead to them needing a "business lot limit", should either A. Receive 15 lots. or B. Receive the original 10 and have the possibility of purchasing up to 5 more lots for about 200k or 300k a piece. 100k isn't very many credits to be entirely honest. A good weaponsmith/armorsmith/architect etc could come up with that kind of money in not time.
Page: 1 of 1