Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Left-handed saber?

Page: 1 of 1
 tom4stir
09-01-2003, 6:33 PM
Since we can use two LS at the same time, can we choose just to have one in our left hand? (As I am left handed.)

I know this is a ver minor feature, but it would be nice to have for all us left-handers out there. :)

:slsaber:
 Rassick
09-01-2003, 8:10 PM
I'm a lefty as well, but I doubt this would happen.
 snowman21
09-01-2003, 8:48 PM
i don't think we will see this happening. it is something for raven to consider. we might be able to see it in future games, but i'm seriously doubting this feature. why should they leave out lefties!?:(.
 Andy867
09-01-2003, 11:01 PM
I spoke to Kenn Hoekstra on a couple occassions, but unfortunately the animation/coding was already set for the time, so the crew went with just using the standard method (right hand) although Kenn kind of hinted that there will be left-hand animations for coders. So who knows... ;)
 Rockstar
09-02-2003, 12:07 PM
lol

actually stop to think how badly this would screw the saber system up. mirror imaging the attacks would require totally different blocks... it would be too much effort to be worth it

just live with the right hand man's world lol
 Pedro The Hutt
09-02-2003, 1:16 PM
Actually the animations have no right to be mirrored, a left handed kendo student still needs to hold his sword the same way as a right handed student would. And ofcourse he or she would still have to perform the attacks in the same way that the right handed students do. So all that really would have to be changed is what hand the Jedi holds the student in and the activation animation.
 Prime
09-02-2003, 4:42 PM
Silly Rabbit, there are no left-handed people in Star Wars!! j/k.
 Obi-Wan X
09-02-2003, 4:45 PM
How rude of them! Though im right handed so I don't particularly care ;)

But it would be nice to have such a feature, granted it doesn't mess with game mechanics of course.
 Rassick
09-02-2003, 5:21 PM
Originally posted by Prime
Silly Rabbit, there are no left-handed people in Star Wars!! j/k.

Actually Darth Maul seemed to be. He hung his saber from his right hip (even all the other bad guys hung it from their left) and he wielded his saber with his left hand in the upper position as the dominant or "power" hand, with his right hand for support.

But the others are right, I'm left-handed, yet can shoot pistols like a right-handed person, and was on the honor guard with weapons, spinning and throwing rifles, etc., and I was the only lefty on the team but did just as well as everyone else. :)
 txa1265
09-04-2003, 3:24 PM
As I've been playing Neverwinter Nights, I've noticed that the animations are all right handed, even in a deep RPG. I believe the same is true of KOTOR. If full RPG games don't adjust your 'handedness', an action FPS won't do it any time soon - especially a 3rd person one.

Mike
 |GG|Carl
09-04-2003, 3:34 PM
Use two sabers, then you'll have a saber in your left hand!:D

Or maybe someone could create a "left hand mod" wich built on the two sabers thing, except for that the saber in your right hand would be invisible!
But that might look wierd...
 WickedClown
09-04-2003, 3:38 PM
Would give some extra 'it's my jedi'-feeling, but I'm a righty, so I don't really care ^-°
 StormHammer
09-05-2003, 12:52 PM
It's unfortunate it wasn't included for JA...but we'll have to see exactly what the modders can do - if they are so inclined.

I just see this as another aspect of 'chocie' that is more relevant in any kind of game that allows you to 'customise' your character (inlcuding RPGs). It's a sad oversight when such a feature is excluded...considering the number of 'lefties' out there.
 Valo
09-05-2003, 3:15 PM
I'm actually right handed, but i do feel your pain. Your going to be creating your very own jedi, you want to make him as realistic as possible if you yourself were a jedi.

I think this is the closest thing you will get to holding your saber in your left hand.

TAKE A LOOK (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/jediacademy/screens.html?page=56)
 StormHammer
09-05-2003, 3:37 PM
Yes, Valo, I've puzzled a bit over that screenshot ever since I saw it. I can't see why the saber would be in his left hand - unless he had twin sabers and threw one...but from recent articles I've read I don't believe you have twin sabers by the time you get to Hoth.

So if it's a single saber...why isn't it in his right hand? I mean, the screenshot isn't reversed - the HUD is all correct.

I can only think the screenshot was taken in an earlier build where they were messing around - or there was a cheat enabled to make the saber appear in the left hand instead of the right.

I will contemplate this in my chambers...

*shuffles away to contemplate*
 Pedro The Hutt
09-05-2003, 8:41 PM
Perhaps he needs his right hand to hold the reins of the Tauntaun. >.> and decides that he'll use his left hand to swing his saber about.
 Andy867
09-05-2003, 9:27 PM
My guess is that its almost like a feature in-game kind of what like Cloud did for Final Fantasy VII when he rode the motorcycle.. Except with today's technology, Raven possibly made it so that the game could switch hands while on a "rideable" "vehicle"
(Still doesn't sound right calling a Tauntaun a vehicle)
 Valo
09-07-2003, 6:26 AM
im guessing that it is just the same riding animation as when your on a swoop, and u need to use your right hand for the thottle.................thats probably it
Page: 1 of 1