Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The future of adventure games?

Page: 1 of 1
 Snapcase
08-17-2003, 3:29 PM
Stumbled accross this earlier today.

http://www.lego.com/hahli/)

To my knowledge it's the first on-line game with all the standard features of a classic adventure, including conversations, items and a moving, on-screen character. It's not that awfully done either, though very easy initially (children's game) and hardly inspiring character-wise. It's also a 5 meg download so be warned.

While it's imperfect the engine seems to be good enough (with some tweaking) to be used to make more advanced adventure games run off the net. Sounds like a definately plausible path to me...
 Marek
08-17-2003, 3:39 PM
No, this is not the future of adventure games.

:p
 bgbennyboy
08-17-2003, 4:12 PM
Oh dear God no.
 elTee
08-17-2003, 5:45 PM
Speaking of Lego - I have this video of a scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail - the song and dance number about Camelot. Its filmed in lego!! Its ace. Its on the DVD.
 Owl
08-17-2003, 6:12 PM
It takes so long to do anything in this game. It's like the little guy is running in slow motion. Final judjement: Waste of time.
 Huz
08-17-2003, 6:40 PM
Mmm, I got bored waiting for it to load, and I have broadband.

The only decent "online" adventure games I've seen were the Lozenge and Hampshire series, which were knocked up in DHTML and loaded straight away, even on a dodgy old modem. You could even save your game using cookies. According to my big pile o' bookmarks, they should be hiding here:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~adani/lozenge/)

But of course, they're not. Alas.

Not the future of adventure games, but an avenue that can work for fan-games and the like - just as long as they don't take five years to download and require you to update your Shockwave. :)
 Snapcase
08-17-2003, 7:05 PM
But it's an adventure game! And... and... it's on-line! And... er... oh **** it.
 ptdc
08-20-2003, 5:48 PM
I couldn't be bothered to look at it so I'll just make some random comment.The future of adventure games on the net is not flash or shockwave but multiplayer. I can't wait for Monkey Island 5 Tournament ;)
 ThunderPeel2001
08-22-2003, 1:21 AM
Page: 1 of 1