Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

StarWars Questions

Page: 1 of 2
 ninja
08-08-2003, 5:55 AM
hi all i made this thread so that people can ask about things they wonder about. kinda like who made god kinda thing but with only star wars lol. when i look in senate chambers and yodas swamp, all i see is nothing that has to do with star wars, not a single topic. and this is for serious people. basicly fact on questions answered, but a good guess every now and then is good when things cant ever be explained. and if you just never knew about something or just have a simple question, go ahead and ask. anyway its about time we get the ball rolling again.

heres a good question i always wondered, are the storm troopers from episodes 4,5, and 6 the clone troopers? or are they just a bunch of people decided to join the empire?
 ShadowTemplar
08-08-2003, 6:13 AM
As for the Storm Troopers, I find it hard to tell. Probably clones, since they'll all fit in the same armour pattern, though. Of course they'll have been genetically modified and indoctrinated, and the former is rather easier to do when you clone.

Now for my own question: Why do you not once see missiles being deployed? Hoth Theatre, for example, could have been won by simply dropping a couple of SCUD-like missile ramps, sending forth some spy-drones to get a target-lock, and then blasting the shield generators to kingdom come. Surely that must be cheaper than depoying in full legion strenght.

May the light of the Astronomican guide your warp-eye.

ShadowTemplar - Templar of No God, Champion of No Cause
 Dagobahn Eagle
08-08-2003, 9:18 AM
Is this a Senate Chambers type thread?

In 4, 5, and 6? No, don't think they are. In episode 2? Err.. yes:D.

In Force Commander you can tell they ain't, but then again FC isn't canon.
 Homuncul
08-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Sure they are clones. It's a fact, that in the end of epIII the clone wars end. And republic has nothing to do with clone troopers. And when Empire rises, they are just renamed in storm troopers. It would have been weird if they had just shot them all down or sent them home. They used them further and further.
 C'jais
08-08-2003, 1:35 PM
Moved to a more proper forum.
 Lynk Former
08-08-2003, 2:05 PM
thanx C'jais ^^

Hey it could be a mix of both Clone Troopers and normal everyday folk who want to be in the pride of the Imperial Army *nods*
 ninja
08-08-2003, 5:15 PM
i dont understand why this was moved to classic trilogy, this is about everything that has to do with star wars, meaning movies, comics, games, old republic everything. i thought i made that clear.

anyway i have another question i just thought of. with episode 3 are they gonna make the movie switched several years ahead in different scenes? i mean episode 3 begins where ep2 ends. then when episode4 started it has been many years forwarded. luke was what i dont know in his 20's in the movie? so what i mean is you know how in some movies it will go from the present time then it will go to a scene that says 17 years later or something. cause it would leave too many things out. like boba fett he grew up too. i just hope the movie does this, because it would just leave to many things out. or it could just be the longest star wars movie made. do you guys know anything about this?
 coupes.
08-08-2003, 7:02 PM
I'd say some of the stormtroopers may be clones, but if they are they certainly aren't the remnants from the clone wars. These clones were genetically modified so they grow 2 times faster meaning they'd be 60 years old or so during the OT times span, not much of an army...

As for the Hoth battle question, if you remember correctly the imperial fleet goes out of hyperspace to soon, thus alerting the rebels who raise their shields, which are said are stong enought to esist any attack. So the only way left to destroy the base, is a froung attack. And I beleive the reason why you never see a missile is laser bolts are much faster, precise and cheaper than missiles. It would be pretty easy to take down a missile with laser bolts, also you have an infinity of laser power (as long as you have power/energy), not the case with missiles. Also missiles would take a lot of space in ships as well as weight a lot, you have to load them before you go on a mission, etc. On the other hand lasers do not take space, weight nothing (obviously) and don't need to be loaded onboard making them the ultimate weapon in the star wars univers.

An ninja, I really don't think they will make ep3 'jumps years'. You mentionned not seeing Boba grow... well you'll have to live with this as the Star Wars movies are the story of Anakin Skylwalker, so the story of Boba fett is really secondary. You are right though, we will not see a lot of things but they are not major events. So don't ecpect to see ep3 spanning on several years, it won't happen.
 Jan Gaarni
08-08-2003, 8:10 PM
Is this a Senate Chambers type thread?

In 4, 5, and 6? No, don't think they are. In episode 2? Err.. yes.

In Force Commander you can tell they ain't, but then again FC isn't canon.
Don't wisk it awayso fast. :)

Remeber those 2 brothers? Whom one of them you were playing as?
Well, it had me wondering for a long time why they weren't allowed to hang around the others in the stormtrooper unit, and never got to see their faces.

Until I got to know that the stormtroopers were supposed to be (atleast mostly) clones, and all the peices fell in place. :)
They were clones.
That's why they weren't allowed to hang around them, or never got to see their faces. :)

FC fits more than you think. ;)
 shukrallah
08-09-2003, 3:43 AM
There not clones, thats why leia says to luke in 4, arent you a little too short for a storm trooper? Remember the acadamies? Kyle Katarn was going to joined an acadamy for training imperials. You just dont see there faces because they are not important. And remember, Jango was the top dude, he died, and i doubt boba stuck around to be cloned multiple times for the empire. Hmm.. ill just check it out at www.starwars.com) :)

[EDIT]

looked em up

Stormtrooper training stressed complete indoctrination in the tenets of the New Order, and individuals would obey their officers without question, without regard to the rights of others or even to their own safety.

Stormtroopers abandoned individuality in exchange for their loyalty.

See... individuals. Clones dont have individuality ;)
 ninja
08-09-2003, 4:49 PM
never know, maybe they had individualities after the war was over for a time. i guess i started a good question lol. we'll never know till episode 3 comes out.
 Jedi_Monk
08-09-2003, 5:32 PM
The Stormtrooper question is difficult to answer... there were tens of thousands of young and pre-natal clones in the Topica City cloning facility, so those could be used for a decade after the Prequels, and I don't see why they wouldn't continue producing clones while those ones are in training... Unless something happens to the cloning facility between Episode II and the OT, I think the Empire would still be using clones.

Also, the Imperial Academy is for the Navy, pilots and officers... not for Stormtroopers. Anything that says otherwise is EU and has no relevance in the clone debate. The starwars.com database isn't always reliable in these matters because even their "Movies" section takes EU into consideration, the novelizations of the movies. And before you tell me the novelizations are as good as canon, I have six words for you: Obi-Wan is not Owen's brother!
 ninja
08-09-2003, 6:03 PM
yeah i was thinking about the clone factory too. and i was thinking its possible because in the expanded universe the emperor had a clone for himself. so obviosly cloning was still being done. how that whole story was told i never knew.
 ninja
08-22-2003, 8:22 PM
posted from someone earlyer. and with that the issues of clones and strom troopers has been finalized :) on to more questions :)

This is a quote from on the the set diaries which are part of Hyperspace.

With the clones being assembled, the fodder of conversation turned to how exactly clone troopers and stormtroopers are related. By now, it's no surprise that the stormtroopers are indeed clones. But the nitpicky fan gripe that the troopers are of different heights and have different voices has not been lost on George Lucas. My cynical side points out that the only thing this descrepancy conclusively proves about the origins of the stormtroopers... is that these films were shot in the 70s.

"Well, they start to turn to different sources when they need it, that's why you get the differences," offers George as an explanation. "We get a model that isn't the Jango version, that doesn't bump his head on doors. But then we get versions that can't shoot straight," he laughs. "I can see the corruption in the Empire: someone says to the Emperor, my cousin would like to fight in the wars, but he doesn't want to do any of the actual fighting. Can you clone him? Well, can he shoot? Ah, yeah. Sure he can."

Thats a funny explaination. But it works, hehe.
 ninja
08-22-2003, 10:00 PM
heres a question i've been pondering. ok remember in episode 2 obi-wan goes to the clone lab. and they show him the clones. the scene showing the clones eating lunch, why is it the clones look like captain Typho? http://starwars.com/databank/character/captaintypho/index.html)

arent the clones supposed to have been made from Jango? whats the deal?
 coupes.
08-22-2003, 11:37 PM
why is it the clones look like captain Typho?
Well you just answerered your question, he only looks like him, but there are no link between them. But I guess what you really wonder is : "why don't they look like Jango?" That would be be because The clones we see are about 20 years old or so and Jango is older, so they had to use another actor. There really isn't a better explanation, I guess.
 Admiral Vostok
08-23-2003, 3:33 AM
That was a pretty cool quote, ninja. Damn I need to get organised and subsribe to Hyperspace...

Anyway I think it's not entirely impossible that Stormtroopers are both Clones and non-Clones. The Empire no doubt would continue the Cloning program if at all possible, since the Clones are highly successful. At the same time though they may recruit non-Clones into the Army as well. The disadvantage to this is that the non-Clones aren't as skilled as the Clones: the Clones have been trained since "birth" (even if that was only ten years ago), and their skills would be hard to match by a non-Clone who joins the Army at age 20. On the other hand non-Clones would be cheaper. I think this theory explains both their apparent lack of accuracy and their reputation for being good shots. Obi-Wan Kenobi says upon observing the destroyed Sandcrawler "Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise." This is probably true of those Stormtroopers who go to battle - they would be the Clones. Obviously in a battle you send your best troopers, which are undoubtedly the better trained Clones. The Snowtroopers on Hoth would most likely be Clones, and they couldn't really be called inaccurate or under-trained, they were vistorious! However, most of the Stormtroopers our heroes run into would be non-Clones: being stationed on the Death Star isn't exactly a job for the best troops in the Galaxy.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-23-2003, 5:33 PM
Remember what Leia said to Luke when they first met?

If they were ALL clones Leia wouldn't have said that.

If they were all clones the prison officer and any other guys they Luke, Han and Chewie went across would have been really suspicious.
 ninja
08-23-2003, 8:19 PM
nobody said anything about all storm troopers being clones. simply was wondering if the clone troopers from episode 2 became storm troopers. lets not start taking things out of context.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-23-2003, 11:32 PM
Threads go off-topic so they can live. I guess I misread something...:p
 Tufkad
08-24-2003, 3:23 AM
"simply was wondering if the clone troopers from episode 2 became storm troopers."

I think not, because if you were going to change ALL those helmets, you might as well make some new troops, otherwise why change the helmets at all? But if you're making new troops, and these helmets look better, sure, use them. But the troops would have to match. So the clones would have to all died in the clonewars, or something.
 pleto4_ryan
08-25-2003, 11:14 AM
question : If leia sais that luke is shorter than usual isn't that a sigh that all troppers are clones and thus they are above some height, as they look alike? :p
 coupes.
08-25-2003, 12:55 PM
If they were all clones, at least if they were all clones from the same source, I beleive she would have said something different, perhaps something like : "who were you cloned from, a midget?", or maybe : "haven't you finnished growing yet?".

Those are stupid this is not really serious... as you may have guessed, but I do not beleive all the troopes are clones from the same source, this would mean no one could join the imperial navy directly, they would have to be cloned to actually fight the rebelion, I'm not too sure about that. However I do beleive a good part of the troops are clones but they mostly come from various sources.
 Lynk Former
08-25-2003, 2:00 PM
about the jango/typho confusion earlier...

Captain Typho is played by Jay Laga'aia and he's known for starring in a TV Cop show down here in Australia called "Water Rats"

Jango Fett is played by Temuera Morrison who is a New Zealand actor, he's most known for starring in the movie "Once were Warriors"
 rad-x
08-26-2003, 6:25 AM
Are you sure Temeura What'shisFace played the younger guys eating at the table?
 Lynk Former
08-26-2003, 6:32 AM
it's not hard for the boys and girls at ILM to get Temuera's face and digitally "youthify" it.
 rad-x
08-26-2003, 2:06 PM
So, YES or NO, are you sure it's Temeura playing them?
 Lynk Former
08-26-2003, 3:24 PM
they just got a lot of computer generated people and stuck his face on and made it look younger. plus none of the clone troopers are real ya know XP
 leXX
08-27-2003, 8:59 AM
Well, the ones used for close-ups were (such as the one who spoke to Padme), but that's about it. ;)

I'm moving this to the Cantina seeing as it covers everything Star Wars. =)
 Lynk Former
08-27-2003, 9:24 AM
yeah bluesuit guys, but no clonetrooper armour was ever made
 ninja
08-28-2003, 4:37 PM
thanks lexx for moving this to a more proper place

and yes the clones eating lunch in the clone lab look alot like captain typho. so this may mean an error? or how someone said earlyer that they are a younger looking clone of Jango. but does'nt captain typho and jango both look to be in their late 30's? and even if they were supposed to resemble jango in his younger years then that would mean captain typho is a clone too. lol this is tripping me out. :jango:
 Lynk Former
08-28-2003, 5:00 PM
you know i don't really know how u could mistake them, even the younger version. Captian Typho is the nephew of Captain Panaka and IS NOT a clone. Jay Laga'aia is an islander from what i know. Temuera Morrison is a Mвori (native New Zealander) and they're basically islanders too so they would look similar but of course they aren't. I'm tellin ya it's just Temuera Morrison with a digitally manipulated face to make him look younger. They wouldn't use Jay's face on the younger clones because he is already an established character in the movie. If Episode II was a B grade movie then I would agree with you but it isn't so :xp:
 lukeiamyourdad
08-29-2003, 1:30 PM
First of all, Captain Typho and Jango Fett have nothing in common(at least nothing non-coincidential).

Lynk is partially right, 'cause the younger clones we saw eating were not Temuera Morrison but someone who looked like him in his younger days.

Check it right here:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/clonetroopers/bts.html)

Check out the third paragraph.
 ninja
09-03-2003, 9:57 PM
does anyone know whats gonna happen after the last movie is made?
what i mean is i heard a rumor before that after GL is done with this last movie, someone else is going to do the expanded universe based on the comics. that or the old republic stories.

anyone know?
 jedispy
09-03-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by ShadowTemplar
As for the Storm Troopers, I find it hard to tell. Probably clones, since they'll all fit in the same armour pattern, though. Of course they'll have been genetically modified and indoctrinated, and the former is rather easier to do when you clone.

In EPs IV-VI they are supposedly not clones. In the EU they are trained on an Imperial world called Carida. Carida is destroyed by Kyp Durron in the Sun Crusher in the Jedi Academy books.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Here is the ultimate question in SW: What species is Yoda and Yaddle? I have heard people claim that they are Whills (like in the Journal of the Whills.) However I have never found any canonical source for it.

Anyone know?
 coupes.
09-03-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by jedispy
Here is the ultimate question in SW: What species is Yoda and Yaddle? I have heard people claim that they are Whills (like in the Journal of the Whills.) However I have never found any canonical source for it.

Anyone know?
nobody know, hell GL doesn't even know himself. And we won't know this after ep3. Quite frankly I don't even care about this and I really don't think we have to know.
 pleto4_ryan
09-06-2003, 9:50 AM
Originally posted by jedispy

Anyone know?

don't laugh but when i was a child i thought Yoda was a human-species and he got so old-tiny-small due to the 900 years on his back :D
 lukeiamyourdad
09-07-2003, 6:37 PM
They're overgrown midichlorians:D
 jedispy
09-10-2003, 4:22 AM
from the signature of lukeiamyourdad
What is greater then God
More evil then the devil
The poors have it
The rich want it
If you eat it many times
You'll die from it

What is it? Can anybody answer?

The answer to all of them is nothing.

Jedispy
 Shado Vorn
10-07-2003, 5:31 AM
I have a question. Each lightsaber color seems to have a meaning behind it. Blue being a Jedi Guardian, Yellow being a Jedi Sentinel, and Green being a Jedi Consular. What about red and violet? I know red is more or less a sign of a Sith, but is it any particular type of Sith? And what of violet?
 leXX
10-07-2003, 8:23 AM
Violet or purple is exclusive to Mace Windu. He just wanted a purple saber because he wanted to be different, and GL agreed. Red is used by all darksiders as far as I can gather.
 guybroom
06-04-2004, 4:15 PM
It looks like this is quite an old thread, but I'll post this anyway.

With the Storm Troopers = Clones question, I don't have an answer for you, but I can tell you something from Jedi Academy that might give you some help with it:

On one of the levels, if you don't do anything for a moment when over two enimies, they will start talking. I think they are bounty hunters, anyway, one of them says something like:

"I can hardly see in this helmet, it kind of reminds me of my storm trooper days"

Then the other one goes:

"I didn't know you were a storm trooper"

I'm not sure about this line, but you get the idea:

"I was, but I didn't like it, so I jumped ship and became a bounty hunter."

But I thought that the clones would accept any order with out question. Surly if this guy left, then he couldn't have been a clone.
 Boba Rhett
06-04-2004, 6:17 PM
After the clone wars no more clones were made and they started academies where anyone could come and train to be part of the empire. Remember in A New Hope Luke talked about going to the academy?
 Sabretooth
06-06-2004, 7:04 AM
Clones and Stormtroopers (And that dumb rodian)

Episode 3 Spoilers:

After the Clone Wars ended, Palpatine was aked to leave the emergency powers given to him. Palpatine did not accept it and announced his plans for the Empire. He then ordered the clones into destroying the Jedi. Meanwhile, since Anakin had killed Count Dooku and saved Palpatine, he was assigned as Palpatine's bodyguard. Palpatine told Skywalker of the evil of the Jedi and ordered him to kill the Jedi. Then Anakin, with the help of the immense clone army, battled and the republic and established the empire. In the final battle which involved Obi-Wan and Anakin, Anakin was wounded badly and thus alive only due to a special suit. The suit of Darth Vader.

After that, the Imperial academy was started and more and more people were encouraged to join the Imperial Army.
 Sabretooth
06-06-2004, 7:14 AM
As for the lightsaber colours, there is no specific rule. It just depends on what crystals and where the Jedi has made his saber. Blue and Green crystals are the most common and thus, used by many Jedi. Blue the most common.
Yellow, Purple and Orange come next in the rarity, with Orange being the rarest crystal. Thus, a Jedi with a Yellow, Purple or Orange saber is considered as a Jedi who has been through a lot only for his saber.

Red sabers are made of artificial crystals forged by Sith and Dark Jedi. These are too, pretty random is power, length, etc. However, expert saber-builders know how to produce a powerful saber.

Red is used only by Dark Jedi and Sith as the creation of the crystals needs a good amount of Dark Force Energy which is absent in most Jedi.
 guybroom
06-29-2004, 4:37 PM
just so you know, there is a thread that I started asking about the clolours: what do the colours mean? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121525&perpage=40&pagenumber=1)

There is no point having two at the same time.
 fuzzyfreaker
06-30-2004, 3:03 AM
then close your's and move it here! HAAHAHAHAHA! Anyway, here's my question. In episode 1, c3po has one eye out right? Anyway, in the first shot, his photoreceptor is out in his left eye, but when the shot switches back to 3po, anikan puts the photoreceptor in his right eye. Does :c3po: have magical eyes?
 Doomie
06-30-2004, 4:53 AM
Nope, it's just a mistake they made. My guess is they flipped the screen like they did so much with the OT.
 FiEND_138
06-30-2004, 5:10 AM
Originally posted by fuzzyfreaker
Anyway, here's my question. In episode 1, c3po has one eye out right? Anyway, in the first shot, his photoreceptor is out in his left eye, but when the shot switches back to 3po, anikan puts the photoreceptor in his right eye. Does :c3po: have magical eyes?

Wow, can't believe I never caught that before. Good find :)
 guybroom
07-14-2004, 2:12 PM
Originally posted by fuzzyfreaker
then close your's and move it here! HAAHAHAHAHA!

Quick answer - NO!!

Mine has been around before the question was asked.
Page: 1 of 2