Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Swoop

Page: 1 of 2
 TheBlueFlamingo
08-02-2003, 8:44 PM
http://www.thejediacademy.net/articles_detail_page.php?f_id=1)

New interview, some cool questions and answers. Also, new screens. One screen with a swoop race, in 3rd person with a light saber. Looks cool.
 boinga1
08-02-2003, 8:57 PM
:drop2: Holy moly, that swoop racing looks awesome!
 Wesia Daoke
08-02-2003, 9:39 PM
we can like ride by a guy standing and choop his head off with a lightsaber:D
 Neverhoodian
08-02-2003, 11:26 PM
Hey, I see a severed Stormtrooper leg in one of the screenies. Hopefully, it can be a selectable option from the main menu, not like JO where you have to type in a cheat to see heads, torsos, and legs fall off.
 Gabrobot
08-02-2003, 11:38 PM
There actually was an option in Jedi Knight II for dismemberment (only feet, legs, hands and arms though), but it would do it randomly so that you wouldn't always cut something off. There is also a 1% chance (I think) that you can chop a shadowtrooper in half...I actually chopped one in half the first time I played through JKII, but I haven't been able to do it since.
 StormHammer
08-03-2003, 1:01 AM
Nice little article, and very nice screenies. Thanks for the heads-up on that, TheBlueFlamingo.

I love the pic of the swoop race, and it looks like it will be great fun. :D
 txa1265
08-03-2003, 1:22 AM
Thanks for that! I also saw it at BluesNews and TheForce.net - the marketing machine is getting going :)

Love the swoop ... and the textures and details and shadows loot great.

Nice way they dealt with the RP issues on FFA servers 'everyone had fun as long as they played against like-minded individuals' :)

Mike
 taekwondo joe
08-03-2003, 1:54 AM
do yall want reals swoop bike pics, ones with a man with one saber and a woman with two sabers fighting? if so, than ask, it is not an official release screen, so i dont want to just post up a link
 Emon
08-03-2003, 2:03 AM
cg_dismemberProbabilities 0

That is the best for JO, I assume it's for JA too.
 HertogJan
08-03-2003, 6:59 AM
Hey the lightsaber on the swoop race pic looks pretty nice, betetr than JO lightsabers at least :) On most newer screens I see, the lightsaber seems to be improved, and it actually illuminates the surrounding area :D
 Troopr-Undr-Fir
08-03-2003, 9:50 PM
Great interview, and even great screenshots :D , I was particularly interested in the replay ability was being done. This is a major improvment. Even though I played JO many times through because it is a star wars game :), And the swoop will kick some major ass!!!
 Sam Fisher
08-04-2003, 12:07 AM
I can't wait to be swoop-racing-saber fighting. This is going to be a great game.:)
 taekwondo joe
08-04-2003, 1:29 PM
oh yeah, swooop there it is, swoooop there it is!!! man i cant wait, this will be soooo much better than outcast
 GC256
08-04-2003, 6:32 PM
Thanks Flamingo! I really enjoyed reading that. Confirmed even more how they are refining the combat to perfection (in my opinion of course).
 Chewie Bakker
08-12-2003, 3:05 PM
That picture (http://www.thejediacademy.net/images/articles/1/shot0004.jpg) from the Jedi Academy (http://www.thejediacademy.net/articles_detail_page.php?f_id=1) is unreal, Flamingo. Good find. ;)

The article's pretty cool, too.

We've read that you need to complete about 80% of the missions in order to complete the single player game. After beating the game, will we have the opportunity to go back to complete any missions we missed?

No, you would have to start a new game. We’ve intentionally built a lot of replayability into Jedi Academy. There are so many Force Powers to choose from, that the player will not be able to max them out during a single playthrough, so they can go through the game again and pick different powers and have a completely different experience. Similarly, they can pick missions they may have missed, skip other ones, or just play them all.

I found that pretty interesting. :D

:gben: The Force will be with you, always.
 JEDI OUTCAST
08-12-2003, 5:03 PM
the swoop sounds cool. can not wait to get on 1.:D
 ForTheNon-RPers
08-12-2003, 6:24 PM
Thats wicked.
 Obi-Wan X
08-12-2003, 8:57 PM
I hope we'll see some swoop action in multiplayer
 Tyler_Durden
08-12-2003, 9:30 PM
Do you think that we'll be able to ride the swoop from a first person perspective? I play the entire game in the first person and i was just wondering about that. It would really increase the immersion factor if you could. By the way will we be able to mod the game to an extent so that we could model a speeder bike complete with cannons? Now that would be awesome.
 Obi-Wan X
08-12-2003, 10:35 PM
I don't think a first person perspective for the vehicles will be in. Your using your own weaponry while driving, so it'll be hard to shoot and drive at the same time.
 JEDI OUTCAST
08-12-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Obi-Wan X
I hope we'll see some swoop action in multiplayer

i think we can have swoops in multiplayer.:cool:
 ImmolatedYoda
08-13-2003, 12:39 AM
F@CK YEAH!!! :D
 Obi-Wan X
08-13-2003, 12:45 AM
I mean, has it been confirmed that there are actual swoop races in single player? Or simply using a swoop to get to areas.

I'd take both if given the chance ^_^
 JEDI OUTCAST
08-13-2003, 2:14 AM
I mean, has it been confirmed that there are actual swoop races in single player? Or simply using a swoop to get to areas.

I'd take both if given the chance ^_^

lol. i don't know but if you look at this screenshot it looks more like single player to me.

http://www.thejediacademy.net/images/articles/1/shot0004.jpg)
 Tyler_Durden
08-13-2003, 4:51 AM
I don't think a first person perspective for the vehicles will be in. Your using your own weaponry while driving, so it'll be hard to shoot and drive at the same time.

Damn that sucks, i was hoping there would be a way to play this way a la rebel strike's speeder bike level. But hopefully in the final release.......
 Chewie Bakker
08-13-2003, 5:49 AM
Originally posted by JEDI OUTCAST
i think we can have swoops in multiplayer.:cool:
I'm pretty sure in one of the interviews mentioned a 'Siege mode' for Multiplayer (in response to a question about vehicles in multiplayer). This sounds like there's an option to have vehicles in a multiplayer game (I'm imagining like Battlefield 1942).

Then again, it was close to 5am when I read this, and I can't even remember the site I read it from, so it could've been my sleep-depraived mind playing tricks on me. :animelol:

Obi-Wan X
08-13-2003, 12:46 PM
What exactly IS Siege mode? Isn't it an attack on an enemy base?

Im pretty much thinking of it being like UT's mode. But vehicles would be nice as well. I think a new JA site will be up soon, because JA is discluded from the list of games on that "flash game chooser" thingar on the lucasarts page.
 Chewie Bakker
08-13-2003, 2:25 PM
What exactly IS Siege mode? Isn't it an attack on an enemy base?

Im pretty much thinking of it being like UT's mode. But vehicles would be nice as well. I think a new JA site will be up soon, because JA is discluded from the list of games on that "flash game chooser" thingar on the lucasarts page.

I think you're right in thinking that Siege mode is like Assault in Unreal Tournament. It'll either be like that or it'll be like Battlefield 1942.

I don't know. :nut:

Tyler_Durden
08-13-2003, 4:31 PM
this is a little off topic but if you already have bf: 1942 there is a total conversion mod for it called galactic conquest. it is a star wars based fps but like bf: 1942 you play as a grunt rebel or imp against each other. They have the battle of hoth map, which includes at-ats, at-sts, snowspeeders, a millenium falcon, gun turrets, etc. all of which let you drive them. They also have different classes such as sniper and medic as well. No jedis yet but it's still cool. When last i checked they were working on the battle of endor for their next release. Check out the site:

http://www.galactic-conquest.net)

Should be a cool way to pass the time until JA comes out.
 taekwondo joe
08-13-2003, 7:31 PM
[Andy867's Note: Don't this warez users ever learn.. Info removed as usual]
 Dilandau-Sama
08-14-2003, 12:18 AM
Nice little preview. The swoop racing looks awsome! :nut:
 boinga1
08-14-2003, 12:27 AM
I think a new JA site will be up soon, because JA is discluded from the list of games on that "flash game chooser" thingar on the lucasarts page.

Why does everyone keep saying this? It's there, farthjest one on the left, now!
 Bowas5
08-17-2003, 3:07 PM
cool
 Chewie Bakker
08-17-2003, 3:38 PM
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
this is a little off topic but if you already have bf: 1942 there is a total conversion mod for it called galactic conquest. it is a star wars based fps but like bf: 1942 you play as a grunt rebel or imp against each other. They have the battle of hoth map, which includes at-ats, at-sts, snowspeeders, a millenium falcon, gun turrets, etc. all of which let you drive them. They also have different classes such as sniper and medic as well. No jedis yet but it's still cool. When last i checked they were working on the battle of endor for their next release. Check out the site:

http://www.galactic-conquest.net)

Should be a cool way to pass the time until JA comes out.
Yeah, my uncle sent me that link as well as a "looks good (if you've got Battlefield 1942)" (read as: Go buy Battlefield 1942 so we can play this) message.

I would buy it if I had any income at the moment. :cry8:

Still, Jedi Academy's looking to be a must buy.

:gben: (http://www.galactic-conquest.net) The Force will be with you, always.
 JDKnite188
08-17-2003, 9:50 PM
Wow. The swoop looks incredibly awesome. Its cool how the guy is trying to extend his blaster to take out the jedi on the bike.

Also, the double saber move featured looks pretty nice. Did you see the shadows, though? WOW!
 Emon
08-17-2003, 10:27 PM
That's just cg_shadows 3, chief.
 Shotokan
08-18-2003, 7:51 AM
That swoop pic looks cool.
 JDKnite188
08-18-2003, 6:20 PM
Originally posted by Emon
That's just cg_shadows 3, chief.

Hehe, the all-knowing Emon proves his knowledge yet again. Interesting.
 Troopr-Undr-Fir
08-19-2003, 1:55 AM
Do you think they'll be able to spawn a la npc spawn cheat in sp??? I hope so, so I can make my own JA maps like in JO :D
 Pnut_Man
08-19-2003, 1:38 PM
I see you guys are in dilemmia over these questions:

Can we spawn npcs with a npc spawn like command during MP?

Can we play Single Player Levels in Multiplayer?

With CERTAIN CONNECTIONS I can answer these questions with 100% confidence:

The admin of the multiplayer game, regardless if cheats are on or not, can use npc spawn to load in any single player Npc into MP. I've seen screenshots of Rancors, wampas, jawas, cultists; every npc from SP fighting in MP.

The screenshot with the two swoop bike racers is indeed single player. However, that level may been loaded up during multiplayer, but only through console as of now.

I hope that helped quell some of the confusion and hopefully I didn't break any laws by revealing that information..
 Tinny
08-19-2003, 1:51 PM
yeah, u could add any singleplayer character in mp by adding a bot, but their ai was horrible, nothing like they were in singleplayer :(
 Obi-Wan X
08-19-2003, 2:09 PM
Since they are striving like never before to make multiplayer more like singleplayer, then maybe we'll see some upgraded bots.
 txa1265
08-20-2003, 3:19 PM
Just read the PC Game Zone UK 'review' (I have a hard time with that since it was obviously done pre-gold), and they say the swoop bike level is 'awful' (they call it the speeder bike level) and call the handling 'woeful' ... say it 'could have been fun'. It was one of the few negatives they had.

Mike
 JediCrow
08-21-2003, 4:15 PM
[Andy867's Note: Overlooked but not lost. Conisder yourself banned. And enjoy the time away from LF.com /Info removed since its from the warez]
 txa1265
08-21-2003, 4:30 PM
Originally posted by JediCrow
Hmm..maybe I played a different pre-gold, but I thought the swoop bike level was awesome. Can't wait to play it in the "real" game. I'm not sure if you are an 'official' beta tester or one of the many 'unofficial' testers I typically rip into ... but this time I won't ...

I'm actually glad to hear, but not necessarily surprised. Why?
- Many here hated driving the AT-ST. I liked it.
- Many reviews liked the tanks in MoHAA ... I really hated them.

I just think that vehicles are a very personal thing for FPS players - I suppose it depends on whether you also play air combat games as well ... or something.

Mike
 Emon
08-21-2003, 4:33 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
I'm not sure if you are an 'official' beta tester or one of the many 'unofficial' testers I typically rip into

All the beta testing is in-house, so he's "unofficial". But please, you don't have to go off on everyone because they have different moral standards than you. Posting about warez or illegal software is against the rules, and it's the forum staff's job to keep it under control, not yours.
 JediCrow
08-21-2003, 4:48 PM
Some times people just need to lighten up. I didn't give anything away, post about where to get anything, or otherwise try to spoil anyone else's experience. I just gave an opinion. I just happen to have a different perspective on this game than some other people on here. When the game comes out, we'll all be spouting our opinions on this and that, and complaining about this drain whore or that kick spammer. So for now we should just chill and if someone says they like something or don't, realize that they are probably just trying to help, unless it's obvious that they are just here to spoil it for everyone, which I'm not.
 JediCrow
08-21-2003, 4:55 PM
Besides, what's the difference between my opinion and that review that was quoted here? For all you know I am a legitimate game reviewer and have a sanctioned preview version of the game. Assuming I'm a pirate just because I have the game and you don't doesn't help anybody.
 txa1265
08-21-2003, 4:58 PM
Originally posted by Emon
All the beta testing is in-house, so he's "unofficial". But please, you don't have to go off on everyone because they have different moral standards than you. Posting about warez or illegal software is against the rules, and it's the forum staff's job to keep it under control, not yours.

Some times people just need to lighten up. Hey now - I didn't rip anyone, or go off or anything. In fact, I stated that I have been coming down hard on the whole piracy thing - which I know I have gotten a rep for doing, as I have no tolerance for it.

I prefaced by saying that I wasn't going to say anything, and that in fact I appreciated his comments in this case.

Sorry if there was any confusion from the way I said things.

Move along, move along.

Mike

[edit: just saw your last post]

Besides, what's the difference between my opinion and that review that was quoted here? For all you know I am a legitimate game reviewer and have a sanctioned preview version of the game. Assuming I'm a pirate just because I have the game and you don't doesn't help anybody. Exactly - I was saying that I neither knew nor cared how you obtained your copy, you were merely refuting an opinion in a review. And, as I said, I appreciated your opinion.

Mike
 JediCrow
08-21-2003, 5:07 PM
Sorry, I wasn't telling you specifically to lighten up. Guess like it sounded that way. And whether I'm a pirate or a legit game journalist, I'm buying this game no matter what when it comes out, so you could call me a fan either way.
Page: 1 of 2