Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why is tatooine the center of the starwars universe?

Page: 1 of 1
 Lach
08-02-2003, 7:41 PM
Every movie and game in the starwars universe, and a good chunk of the books all have the characters going to tatooine, or something important happening there......... why is some insiginifact dustball the center of the universe?
 The Truthful Liar
08-02-2003, 7:56 PM
Wrong forum.

~Moving
 wassup
08-02-2003, 8:30 PM
Probably cause it was the first planet Star Wars fans got to see. And some other reasons, like Luke and Obi being there in Ep. 4 and Shmi and Ani being there in Ep. 1.
 Wesia Daoke
08-02-2003, 8:36 PM
its not the center didnt u hear there on the outer rim :D lol i know wut u mean its just a cool place. but if u want the truth i asked George Lucas to make tatoonie the "Place" and he listens to me. :D jk
 Sam Fisher
08-02-2003, 8:41 PM
Well, I guess its somewhat because a lot of the main charactors came from there, Luke, Ben, etc... IMO..
 Atlas
08-03-2003, 7:02 AM
I would think its because both centers of the story (IE: Anakin and Luke) were both raised and left from to start the same journey. then again, i could be wrong, i dunno :)
 CCKieran
08-04-2003, 10:05 AM
Easy to follow why there's so much Tatooine in the movies;

Anakin Skywaler- Raised on Tatooine. Tatooine had to be in Ep1

Again, Anakin went back to save Schmi; Ep2
Also in Ep2, we see Owen and Beru Lars, no doubt a connection between them and the Owen and Beru Lars in Ep4

Ep3......don't know

Ep4-Luke was raised on Tatooine by Owen and Beru Lars. Not having seen any spoilers, I'm guessing Ben put him there, and hence Tatooine had to be in Ep4

Tatooine is not in Ep5, except they mention that they're going there in

Ep 6- a bit silly to put "We're going to save Han at Tatooine" at the end of Ep 5 and then have them save him on Ryloth :p

Politically, Tatooine isn't all that important, neither by location. People from Tatooine take a big chunk of important pie though.
 Carbon_sleeper
08-04-2003, 9:16 PM
Anakin was raised there. That makes me wonder what the heck Obi Wan was thinking!

Yoda: "Hide the children of Skywalker, we must."

Obi Wan: "I know! Let's take Luke to Anakin's home planet that he knows like the back of his hand. Hey, we could ask Anakin's own step-brother to keep him!"

Yoda: "Yeah. Ok. Billions of planets there are that skywalker knows nothing of. But put him on the one planet Skywalker knows best, you want? Good idea."

Obi Wan: "Great! I'll get right on it!" Runs out of the room.

Yoda: "No! Wait! Sarcastic, I was being!"
 boinga1
08-05-2003, 12:21 AM
:rofl: hehe...

BTW, you can delete your own posts, instead of apologizing and editting.
 Jedi_Monk
08-05-2003, 1:17 AM
I'm guessing Luke's being hidden there has something to do with Anakin's strong aversion to returning to his homeworld. He was a slave there, and his mother died there... why the heck would he want to go back?
 Wesia Daoke
08-05-2003, 1:31 AM
thats just like u goin to a camp for a long time then u go back ur mom dies u go back to camp wouldnt u wanna go home.
 CCKieran
08-05-2003, 11:07 AM
I'm guessing Luke's being hidden there has something to do with Anakin's strong aversion to returning to his homeworld. He was a slave there, and his mother died there... why the heck would he want to go back?

Good point.

Think about it Wesia, Anakin wasn't born on Tatooine, he just lived there for a few years. Coruscant would have been his home for longer than tatooine, at the Jedi Temple.
 ninja
08-08-2003, 5:51 PM
because its weird, and everyone from that planet seems to be the one that has to bring balance to the force lol.
 TK-8252
08-09-2003, 5:50 PM
Just for your information, Coruscant's coordinants are (0,0) making it the center of the universe. Tatooine is just the most popular planet.
 pbguy1211
08-09-2003, 6:45 PM
tatooine isn't "popular".... stuff just happens there.

i'm in agreement with why vader wouldnt go back there... bad memories...

but anakin doesnt know the planet by the back of his hand... he was what, 10 years old? how well do you know this planet? and how old are you?
 lukeiamyourdad
08-09-2003, 7:33 PM
Well a planet is very large so I doubt even the strongest Jedi in the galaxy can know it like the back of his head :D
 The Cheat
08-11-2003, 7:16 PM
i dont know earth like the back of my hand, i mean i dont know all the streets of tokyo or whatever because ive only seen a little bit of my own planet
 Jedi_Monk
08-13-2003, 3:36 AM
tatooine isn't "popular".... stuff just happens there.
Amen! I think Tatooine is the most visually uninteresting planet in the saga. My two favorite Star Wars movies are the two that have Tatooine in them the least :p
 rad-x
08-14-2003, 5:15 PM
I disagree. The Jundland Wastes or the cool rocky outcroppings we see in Anakin's search, are magnificent and brilliant.

Also, some of the giant creatures on Tatooine (especially the one who's skeleton is behind Threepio in ANH) are dangerous and menacing.

So visually the worst...it's that vs Dagobah, since we have no idea of scale.
 pleto4_ryan
08-14-2003, 9:56 PM
another reason to put Luke at tatoine is that Vader would never think to search at that planet....
 ZBomber
08-14-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Carbon_sleeper
Anakin was raised there. That makes me wonder what the heck Obi Wan was thinking!

Yoda: "Hide the children of Skywalker, we must."

Obi Wan: "I know! Let's take Luke to Anakin's home planet that he knows like the back of his hand. Hey, we could ask Anakin's own step-brother to keep him!"

Yoda: "Yeah. Ok. Billions of planets there are that skywalker knows nothing of. But put him on the one planet Skywalker knows best, you want? Good idea."

Obi Wan: "Great! I'll get right on it!" Runs out of the room.

Yoda: "No! Wait! Sarcastic, I was being!"

:rofl:!!!

Haha, thats great.... True... I wonder why he never did go try and kill Luke? :p
 daring dueler
08-14-2003, 10:56 PM
Not the center:rolleyes:

lol! that was funny carbon sleeper!

ummm z he didnt kill him because that would kinda crap out the trilogy.;)
 ZBomber
08-14-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by daring dueler
Not the center:rolleyes:

lol! that was funny carbon sleeper!

ummm z he didnt kill him because that would kinda crap out the trilogy.;)

Yeh, but Anakin doesn't know hes been recorded. :p
 daring dueler
08-16-2003, 12:04 AM
he still had good i him;)
 pbguy1211
08-16-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by rad-x
I disagree. The Jundland Wastes or the cool rocky outcroppings we see in Anakin's search, are magnificent and brilliant.

Also, some of the giant creatures on Tatooine (especially the one who's skeleton is behind Threepio in ANH) are dangerous and menacing.

So visually the worst...it's that vs Dagobah, since we have no idea of scale.

Dude... if you blink you'd miss anything on Tattoine in I or II.
 benTantilles
08-16-2003, 3:30 AM
another reason to put Luke at tatoine is that Vader would never think to search at that planet....
of course...who would think of searching his own homeplanet to find his missing son...it's unheard of.... :D
i think what's a more likely reason for obi's placement of luke on tatooine was, rather than believing that vader's never think of searching the planet coz it's so backward, that he believed vader wouldn't actually want to visit tatooine lest he rekindle bad memories....ya know, his mum's death & all...

tatooine is, in my opinion, a very interesting place. it's neutrality in the galactic civil war and the things which it entails---corporate control of the planet, slavery, podracing etc--- contribute to this. then there're the indigenious species of animals & sentients in tatooine...krayt dragons, banthas etc. and then, of course, there're the tusken sandpeople. one of the most interesting aspects of tatooine. sw fans who're solely movie-goers may come to see these primitive people as savage beasts...but people who've read the 'outlander' arc of the republic comic series (dark horse) will, IMO, change their minds....for the first time in sw history, light other than that of the twin suns has been cast on these primitives which touches on their culture, heritage & morals. and that a'sharad hett is so cool....
 rad-x
08-16-2003, 7:44 AM
Dagobah was awful guys. Admit it.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-16-2003, 8:04 PM
In the late 70's early 80's I don't think they would have been able to make a better Dagobah in a studio...
 Jan Gaarni
08-17-2003, 5:31 AM
What was wrong with Dagobah?!? :confused:
 lukeiamyourdad
08-17-2003, 3:18 PM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
What was wrong with Dagobah?!? :confused:

People think it was really ugly and badly done. It's a shame...look what CGI has turned kids into...
 pbguy1211
08-17-2003, 4:28 PM
what was wrong with dagobah? you're nuts if you think it didn't look good. it was an extremely out of the way place which is where yoda needed to be to not be found.

and if you'll note... the music when yoda lifts the x wing out of the swamp is basically the same music when he saves obi wan and anakin at the end of ii from the falling pillar.
 Shotokan
08-20-2003, 8:22 AM
I've always liked Endor and Coruscant...
 rad-x
08-20-2003, 2:54 PM
Originally posted by pbguy1211
what was wrong with dagobah? you're nuts if you think it didn't look good. it was an extremely out of the way place which is where yoda needed to be to not be found.

and if you'll note... the music when yoda lifts the x wing out of the swamp is basically the same music when he saves obi wan and anakin at the end of ii from the falling pillar.

THERE WAS NO PERCEPTION OF SCALE!
 Jan Gaarni
08-21-2003, 9:36 AM
THERE WAS NO PERCEPTION OF SCALE!
Errr, could you be alittle more spesific than that? :confused:
 Redwing
08-21-2003, 10:42 AM
I liked Dagobah, but I'm disappointed they weren't able to show more weird wildlife ^_~
Page: 1 of 1