Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

R2D2 Flying?

Page: 1 of 1
 Tufkad
07-23-2003, 8:11 AM
Interesting how they made him "fly" in episode II, but he didn't in the originals. I don't think they should have put that in epII, but since they did in episode three we must see them break or something.... Think about how useful they would have been in the originals.

Having C3P0 float? Bah, just have r2d2 do it. They would still get the idea. Jedi powers = not needed.

On tattooine, looking for Kenobi? Bah, just fly around looking for him...

Plus he seems to move a lot faster while flying. If this is the case, on all those running to the falcon scenes, he would have been a lot quicker.

-Maybe he does "fly" actually, when coming up out of Luke's Xwing (like in Yoda's Swamp) ... it doesn't really look like it, but in theory it *could* be, even though it isn't.

Maybe this should be in epI&II forum. Oh well. Do you guys think they should have included him flying in 2? I don't.
 pbguy1211
07-23-2003, 1:46 PM
Well, obviously they couldnt have him fly in the OT.
However, I agree that something needs to be done to the two of them in the next movie that:
A: Wipes their memories. and,
B: Limits R2 abilities.
 Jedi_Monk
07-24-2003, 2:56 AM
So... by your reasoning, he shouldn't have used his buzz-saw in Return of the Jedi because he didn't use it in ANH and ESB? Or shouldn't have used his teloscope on Dagobah because he didn't use it in ANH?

Now... to your specific criticsms:
1 - R2 was tied to a spit at the time. And besides, he wasn't the one being reveared as a "god".
2 - Who's to say he didn't use them to find Kenobi? I remember Luke remarking that he was moving pretty fast for a little guy. And as for why he wasn't flying when they found him: maybe he just ran out of fuel.
3 - A flying droid attracts a lot more attention than one on the ground.
 pbguy1211
07-24-2003, 4:15 AM
you're comparing rockets that can propel you to make you fly... to a saw or a spring? :confused:
 JediNyt
07-24-2003, 5:52 AM
Jedi Monks right. He didnt have much reason to use them in the OT plus they probably dont have alot of fuel being that there isnt much space to have fuel in his body. They're just another cool gadget of his that he only uses when he needs to.
 shukrallah
07-24-2003, 3:35 PM
Come on... we all know lucas threw in a lot of new stuff in 1 and 2. Like, better techonolgy, i mean.. the naboo star craft is faster then all the other ships... except maybe ties and the falcon.

No one thought up the idea in 1977 about makind r2 fly... so he didnt. There were plenty of times when he could have flies in OT. Like getting off the xwing, instead of falling into the swamp. Or in tatooine, it would make sense to fly over rocks than to go around them, or over them. R2 simply couldnt fly, lucas just threw it in for episode 2.. and possibly 3. End of story. Personally, i dont think he should have been able to fly, and i dont he think should have put half the stuff in the new ones, cause it makes the old ones not look as good. I mean, technology is supposed to upgrade, not degrade ;) Theres a big difference in the tech from the new ones, and the old ones.
 lukeiamyourdad
07-24-2003, 5:43 PM
Originally posted by lukeskywalker1
1.Come on... we all know lucas threw in a lot of new stuff in 1 and 2. Like, better techonolgy, i mean.. the naboo star craft is faster then all the other ships... except maybe ties and the falcon.

2.No one thought up the idea in 1977 about makind r2 fly... so he didnt. There were plenty of times when he could have flies in OT. Like getting off the xwing, instead of falling into the swamp. Or in tatooine, it would make sense to fly over rocks than to go around them, or over them. R2 simply couldnt fly, lucas just threw it in for episode 2.. and possibly 3. End of story. Personally, i dont think he should have been able to fly, and i dont he think should have put half the stuff in the new ones, cause it makes the old ones not look as good. I mean, technology is supposed to upgrade, not degrade ;) Theres a big difference in the tech from the new ones, and the old ones.

1. *cough* no...A-Wings are faster...

2. Agreed there's a big difference...In ANH, R2 knew people would be looking for him. If he was flying around everyone would have easily spotted him. It's nothing much. Probably they we're removed or something. Big deal...
 lukeiamyourdad
07-24-2003, 5:49 PM
1.Come on... we all know lucas threw in a lot of new stuff in 1 and 2. Like, better techonolgy, i mean.. the naboo star craft is faster then all the other ships... except maybe ties and the falcon.

2.No one thought up the idea in 1977 about makind r2 fly... so he didnt. There were plenty of times when he could have flies in OT. Like getting off the xwing, instead of falling into the swamp. Or in tatooine, it would make sense to fly over rocks than to go around them, or over them. R2 simply couldnt fly, lucas just threw it in for episode 2.. and possibly 3. End of story. Personally, i dont think he should have been able to fly, and i dont he think should have put half the stuff in the new ones, cause it makes the old ones not look as good. I mean, technology is supposed to upgrade, not degrade ;) Theres a big difference in the tech from the new ones, and the old ones.

1. *cough* no...A-Wings are faster...

2. Agreed there's a big difference...In ANH, R2 knew people would be looking for him. If he was flying around everyone would have easily spotted him. It's nothing much. Probably they we're removed or something. Big deal...
 coupes.
07-24-2003, 6:56 PM
R2 obviously has limited flying capabilities and fuel. So my guess is he only uses this ability when it's absolutely necessary, if he has to escape for example. Why would he use some fuel/energy to reach some place he can reach by "foot" (when there's no hurry of course)?
 shukrallah
07-24-2003, 9:51 PM
Well... what happend happend, he didnt use it in OT... and thats that. I mean, you got a good idea, but, well all know george just thought of making r2d2 fly when he was making the script for episode 2. What about on jabba's sail barge thing, instead of just driving off the edge, he could have flown off. oh well :)

yeah prolly removed. But r2 left really early, it was morning, and he was gone before luke woke up. I mean... he was far away, if luke wasnt riding in a land speeder, he prolly wouldnt have caught up with r2. If he flew over those huge rocks.... and mountains, it wouldnt matter if luke saw him, cause luke would have to go around.
 Tufkad
07-24-2003, 11:37 PM
Come on... we all know lucas threw in a lot of new stuff in 1 and 2. Like, better techonolgy, i mean.. the naboo star craft is faster then all the other ships... except maybe ties and the falcon.

Yeah... like the ship in episode I (don't ask me the name) is all shiney, that one communication thingey is all swirly, and all the interiors *don't* look like they were made in the 70's. That kinda sucks, they shoulda made them look like they were from the originals... oh well.
 The Cheat
07-25-2003, 2:15 AM
well he probably just thought if he made it not look as good as he made it look people would not accept it
 Jedi_Monk
07-25-2003, 2:51 AM
I mean, technology is supposed to upgrade, not degrade
Technology might upgrade, but that doesn't mean a tyrannical dictatorship, a cash-strapped rebellion and laid-back smugglers give a care about the aesthetics.

The difference between the Queen's ship and the Falcon is the difference between a limo and a run-down Winnebago.
 Tufkad
07-25-2003, 9:00 AM
Alright I found my answer to this in a thread at the StarWars.com forums.

Apparently there is like a 20 year warranty on the jet things, after that they stop working or something...also R2D2 may have had a different owner that removed them.
 leXX
07-25-2003, 9:32 AM
I was just gonna say, the simple explaination would be that in ANH, the Jawa's removed or disabled them so he couldn't escape.
 pbguy1211
07-25-2003, 1:13 PM
Ha! :D When you need answers look to the source! ;)
And I'm in the line of thought with LS1's ideas...

And isn't the Falcon say... the distance runner champion of the ships? While the A Wing is the champ at the sprint?
Ex: The Falcon has light speed... but takes a little bit to get to it.
 lukeiamyourdad
07-25-2003, 2:08 PM
I've played a lot of SW flight sims and I can tell you that I would rather fly in an A-Wing then the Falcon...in combat of course...the falcon makes a bigger target and even tho it may be faster, it makes an easier target.

And A-Wing is probably faster in dogfights:D
 Tufkad
07-25-2003, 7:15 PM
Man, you're crazy. I'd take the Falcon any day. It's just SO damn cool. I had a dream the other night that I was Han Solo, we were blowing up Kamino in the Falcon, but someone else shot the power generator first...we tried to run, then, the Falcon wouldn't start! Then I woke up. Man, that was fun.
 pbguy1211
07-25-2003, 8:34 PM
Originally posted by Tufkad
Man, you're crazy. I'd take the Falcon any day. It's just SO damn cool. I had a dream the other night that I was Han Solo, we were blowing up Kamino in the Falcon, but someone else shot the power generator first...we tried to run, then, the Falcon wouldn't start! Then I woke up. Man, that was fun.

Oooooooooooooookay... that's scary.
 boinga1
07-25-2003, 8:50 PM
As for the original topic, I shall give you the EU answer...

According to the New Essential Guide to Characters, The Naboo modify all their astro droids with certain addons- like the rocket jets. Sometime during (or after) ep3, R2 had his memory wiped and was sold to a succession of new owners. Most of his Naboo add-ons (including the boosters) were removed, and miscellaneous other gadgets were installed.

Personally- who cares? Out of sight, out of minds, says us. :D
 Tufkad
07-25-2003, 8:58 PM
If his memory was wiped, how did he know that he "used to belong to an Obi-Wan Keonobi" ? Or did Leia just make him think that he did?
 lukeiamyourdad
07-25-2003, 11:01 PM
He probably doesn't know who Obi-Wan is at that time. He wanted to find that Obi-Wan Kenobi and told that to Luke(it was Luke right?) so that he could maybe bring him to Ben.

Tufkad- Me crazy? I don't dream I'm Han Solo...just doing Mara Jade...uh I shouldn't have said that...:D

but still :naughty:
 RoxStar
07-25-2003, 11:35 PM

I think they had better technology because the Empire put them into the Dark Ages of Star Wars.
Page: 1 of 1