Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Ep. VI - 16yrs- Ep. I.... why?

Page: 1 of 1
 pbguy1211
07-16-2003, 3:33 AM
Ep. VI - 16yrs- Ep. I.... why?
I may have at one time known the answer to this but I don't now. So could someone please tell me why there was a 16 year gap between the release of Episode VI and I?
I heard it was something with a divorce or a liscensing thing or something. Anyone with any solid proof or reason?

Thanks!
 OmegaNothing
07-16-2003, 12:14 PM
I don't know the reason, but I think Lucas went thru a divorce after episode IV and it was only in the 90s that he actually decided to go ahead with the new trilogy, even though it was planned much earlier.
 Jedi_Monk
07-16-2003, 5:40 PM
The way Lucas tells it, he didn't think he could make the Prequels as he wanted until he saw what ILM was doing in Jurassic Park. From there, he released the Special Editions to test out the technology and also test the waters to make sure that the Star Wars franchise would still be well-received by the movie-going public, and then he began work on the Prequels.
 The Cheat
07-16-2003, 6:11 PM
that makes sense, he released the special editions to make sure he would make lots of money, and he made lots of money when he released the special editions and more lots of money when he did the prequels
 pbguy1211
07-16-2003, 10:44 PM
i dunno... i heard about the divorce thinggy like 10 years ago. something along the lines of he had to wait a certain amount of time in order to not pay alimony based on profits from them.
 another_trooper
07-30-2003, 11:46 PM
I think he originally didnt want to do any prequels. He wanted to leave the trilogy as it was, but ppl pressured him and stuff and finally he agreed to do them. Theres probably more to it than that but I think thats part of it.
 Wesia Daoke
07-31-2003, 12:16 AM
he was waiting cuz he didnt have the technolgy to do the stuff that are in Ep.1, 2, and 3.
 The Cheat
07-31-2003, 12:54 PM
yeah i think i heard somewhere that he didnt want to do the first three first because a lot of the things he would have wanted to do would have been impossible
 shukrallah
08-03-2003, 12:48 AM
I just think he didnt think them up, and decided to them now. He said his movies were incomplete, or something like that.
Page: 1 of 1