Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Character Creation

Page: 1 of 1
 Wesia Daoke
07-14-2003, 6:09 PM
How customisable will your charater be as far as looks? Like Knights of the Old Republic or Star Wars Galaxies?
 X_Fighter
07-14-2003, 6:17 PM
from what we know you can customise the different kinds of heads clothes etc you can choose what lightsaber design and if you want a double or two single sabers later in the game and thats all that is known so it is similar to KOTOR and SWG
 Agen
07-14-2003, 6:28 PM
Well there are around 2500 combinations in JA's MP so there's obviously quite a few choices :D
Personally i'm much more into the core gameplay stuff rather than dressup :)
 boinga1
07-14-2003, 9:13 PM
Face shape will not be customizable, ie. you will not have a slider to alter nose size and position. However, skin color, clothing, perhaps hair, lekku style, and other things will be chosen from options given. There's not a slider or anything, compared to Galaxies there's virtually no customization.
 Lil Killa
07-15-2003, 5:28 AM
Originally posted by boinga1
Face shape will not be customizable, ie. you will not have a slider to alter nose size and position. However, skin color, clothing, perhaps hair, lekku style, and other things will be chosen from options given. There's not a slider or anything, compared to Galaxies there's virtually no customization.

You can't choose skin color:rolleyes: neither can you chosse hair (look at the concept art at the jka page on lucas's site) but you can choose the speices, shirt, pants. (and the saber stuff as you progres through the game.)
 JediLurker
07-15-2003, 6:19 AM
You can choose skin color and head style, aka 'hair'. It shows both options in the screenshot of the character creation menu.
 BloodRiot
07-15-2003, 9:13 AM
I maybe be asking for too much...but those over 2000 combos...is that with colors included or just the model parts?

For one thing if it doesnt... there's a ridiculous ammout of stuff you can do to costumize your character... but if it does... the the variety can't be that much regarding model parts...

Then again i may be wrong on both accounts... it doesnt sound bad... I guess we'll see what we'll see. :)
 txa1265
07-15-2003, 10:52 AM
Well, even looking at what we have seen ... I'll not assume it as 'known'.

There are:
- 6 different species/genders
- 4 'pant geometries'
- 4 pant skins
- 3 robes / jackets
- 8 heads (at least in that model shot)

That yields ~2300 combinations. And I am not sure we'll see that many heads for all species combinations anyway. And I have no idea about the range of outfits.

PLUS ...

There are 15 saber handles and 6 saber colors mentioned in the press kit. If you independantly combine those in, there are close to 200,000 character 'appearances'!

So there is not a bad selection.

Think about it - name another FPS (not some glorified deathmatch skinfest like UT or Q3) where you could have 200,000 possible appearances as you wielded the games' primary weapon?!?

Mike
 legameboy
07-15-2003, 5:11 PM
I'd say the customization is between Kotor and SWG. Kotor has a limited selection, but enough to be varied. I SWG you can customize just about everything. I it's in between there.
 txa1265
07-15-2003, 5:18 PM
Originally posted by legameboy
I'd say the customization is between Kotor and SWG. Kotor has a limited selection, but enough to be varied. I SWG you can customize just about everything. I it's in between there.

Of course, in KOTOR, as your character falls to the dark side you see his/her appearance change .. quite cool. But I'm very pleased with the prospects for JA characters.

Mike
 toms
07-16-2003, 1:45 PM
cool! i want KOTOR.... i hate XBOX for always making me wait for good games.... its like E4 :mad:
 txa1265
07-16-2003, 2:31 PM
Originally posted by toms
cool! i want KOTOR.... i hate XBOX for always making me wait for good games.... its like E4 :mad:

E4? What's that?

I very much want KOTOR as well ... I actually contemplated getting an XBox for a while. But ... my kids are quite young (5 and 6.5) and XBox games are mosting T or M, my wife has no use for video games at all (but she's very understanding of me putting in several hours a week of gaming, or our kids wanting to play), and I really didn't want one just laying around ... so I wait for the PC version in the Fall (like everything else!)

Mike
 Reprehence
07-16-2003, 5:42 PM
Speaking of KOTOR - I saw at gamespot that it got a very high rating in the XBOX section.
 StormHammer
07-16-2003, 7:19 PM
The character customisation in JA seems a bit like it is in Dungeon Siege, to my mind. In DS you get a basic head and body for the two genders of your character, and then choose the hair style, upper garment and lower garment. Except with JA you'll get to choose race...and skin colour for at least some of the races (like Twi'leks) as well. That's good enough for me. I don't want to spend 3 hours choosing the colour of my toenails, or checking if the colour of my shirt matches my underpants. Quick and easy customisation and then straight into the game...that's how I hope it is. ;)
 Reprehence
07-16-2003, 7:26 PM
I agree - player customization doesn't really do a whole lot for me. If it did, I'd probably just create my own custom model/skin and replace the default in the game.

Now if slightly different things happen with each race/gender - then that might make things interesting.
 Agen
07-16-2003, 7:33 PM
I totally agree with Stormie, i don't want an intensely deep character development process, simple mixing and matching will do me fine. :)

E4? What's that?
Heh, it's a channel 4's cable tv station. It shows it's new programmes on that before it does on the ordinary channel to force people into buying E4... or maybe just to annoy people :D
 txa1265
07-17-2003, 9:17 AM
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator
I totally agree with Stormie, i don't want an intensely deep character development process, simple mixing and matching will do me fine. :) I agree - the choices to me seem more than adequate, although I wish they had given full male/female for all races for completeness (not that it will likely matter for my choices).

Heh, it's a channel 4's cable tv station. It shows it's new programmes on that before it does on the ordinary channel to force people into buying E4... or maybe just to annoy people :D Ahhh ... so it is like IGN Insider or FilePlanet Subscriber or Star Wars Hyperspace - the info will eventually get there, you just have to pay or be patient?

Mike
 shukrallah
07-19-2003, 8:55 PM
Its ganna be cool no matter what being able to make ur own character. You really wont need custom models will you? unless you really want to be someone from the movie or EU or something.

Now if slightly different things happen with each race/gender - then that might make things interesting.

I dont think that would happen... even though it is cool. Well, actually, i heard the game gives you a name for SP (i guess so when someone talks to you they can say your name) so i guess it might depend on which model combination you make to which name you get. Could be totally wrong ;)
 Kengo
07-21-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
I don't want to spend 3 hours choosing the colour of my toenails, or checking if the colour of my shirt matches my underpants.

I guess that's whats been slowing me down in life...all those hours spent making sure everything is just *right* and...oh, in the GAME.

I think the customisation is a wondeful idea, and it sound slike its pretty excellent. I remember the looks customisation in Deus Ex was v limited and didn't affect things hardly at all, but it was just a cool feature to have in there. It's very rare and pretty innovative for a big name FPS like this. I don't think you can expect the kind of customisation for SWG, that is after all a huge online game with hundreds of thousands of gamers...they need enormous customisation there to provide enough different looks.
Page: 1 of 1