Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New screens, models and a wallpaper!

Page: 1 of 1
 Anakin1607
07-08-2003, 10:20 PM
Praise be to TFN!

http://www.theforce.net/games/articles/screens_jediacademy.shtml)

Wow, Luke looks SCARY! Cool!
 Prime
07-08-2003, 10:37 PM
Pretty cool. I like the Luke one a lot. He doesn't look like a wuss at all :) But it is so hard to tell how the game will look from screenshots, because you can see every imperfection and things look so different in motion.
 GreenDevil
07-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Wow... I can't wait for this game to come out!! =D
 <JOTD>Jedi Hunter
07-08-2003, 11:32 PM
Man, that Luke looks great. Kyle looks exactly like JO. Almost like they just took a shot of him from jo. Other then that. Those are some great shots.
 Sargasso
07-08-2003, 11:38 PM
http://theforce.net/games/pics/ja/image4.jpg)

Kyle discovers the Imperials are harvesting SPICE!!111 At last the evil doers next plan from galactic domination is revealed!!111
 babywax
07-09-2003, 12:16 AM
That's "Posh Spice" in front of the Jedi...
 Blademaster_109
07-09-2003, 1:39 AM
thanks alot :D
 PrimoSidone
07-09-2003, 8:16 AM
That is some awsome stuff... BUT it still reminds me aLOT like JO...
 Reprehence
07-09-2003, 10:59 AM
Did anyone notice that the blue saber staff was shorter than the others. It looks like this is because the handle/hilt was shorter. I wonder if hilt size will affect reach in this way?
 Prime
07-09-2003, 1:04 PM
Originally posted by Reprehence
Did anyone notice that the blue saber staff was shorter than the others. It looks like this is because the handle/hilt was shorter. I wonder if hilt size will affect reach in this way? I suspect it won't. Having to code small variations like that isn't worth the payoff.
 toms
07-09-2003, 1:42 PM
nice models.... hope the levels are better this time though...

Anyway, the thing i really hope they fix is the toothyness in the cutscenes.... not sure what it was, but they had such prominent teeth it made kyle look like a horse... :D
 praenuntius
07-09-2003, 1:51 PM
In relation to the saber staff reach, hasn't it already been stated in an interview that the staff won't reach as far as a normal saber?
 Andy867
07-09-2003, 2:12 PM
Whats nice is that Luke looks more like how he would years after the destruction of the Death Star, whereas in JO, he kind of looked like, not-Luke. So, but yea Kyle does look the same, but if you look back to Jedi Knight 2, he wore the same clothes then, did he not? maybe a little variation, but Kyle has come along way from DF.
 Agen
07-09-2003, 4:52 PM
*drools*
Some of those screenshots and modles are really good, especially the female :) Though kyle jsut looks exaclty the same (bit on the drunk side though :p)

http://www.thejediacademy.net/files/japress/luke.jpg)

Luke looks much cooler and more kick-ass in with that hair-do :D

*pre-orders ja* :D
 GreenDevil
07-09-2003, 5:22 PM
Luke does look a lot more itimidating and angry, maybe part of the plot is at the end Luke falls to the dark side and you have to help bring him back? =D
 Andy867
07-09-2003, 5:38 PM
Possible, but whats up with him continuing to wear black. I mean, why not try something new, because as E! would, say, his clothes are a fashion EMERGENCY!. But anyways, it is possible that he gets tempted.
 Agen
07-09-2003, 6:37 PM
Yeah, thoguh it might clash wit the EU :(
 Andy867
07-09-2003, 8:29 PM
But Raven probably won't go with EU, they will just go with what LucasArts wants, which is teh canon of Star Wars Movie universe., Although Katarn is EU himself now that I think about it... Hmm, strange.
 Tyler_Durden
07-09-2003, 10:01 PM
Notice how Luke's Saber looks more AOTC/PM like, sweet. Hmm looks like Raven fixed a lot of what was wrong with the saber model in JO and revamped it for this game. Personally i think they did a great job with the saber in JO but it somehow did not totally reflect the blurs and movement of the sabers exactly as the movies did but i'm just nitpicking. Good job Raven.
 Prime
07-10-2003, 2:35 AM
Originally posted by Andy867
Possible, but whats up with him continuing to wear black. I mean, why not try something new... Oh, like Han is constantly changing outfits :D
 Emon
07-10-2003, 5:54 PM
1. That "worm" is a Sarlacc.

2. I think that Luke shot is modified. Parts look rounded off, and I doubt they have that 3D hair ingame. Also, the lightsaber has been clearly made in Photoshop or a similar program.
 Andy867
07-10-2003, 6:05 PM
I think the hair is possible, however, the legs look painted on, and too smooth, although it would be hard to say, but making a lightsaber like that wouldn't just require photoshop. I think its a valid model and all, just kind of retouched.
 Emon
07-10-2003, 6:15 PM
Er, you could do a lightsaber like that in Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, The GIMP or any decent 2D art application in a matter of minutes.
 Troopr-Undr-Fir
07-10-2003, 11:04 PM
They have to make the model look better than when it is actually in the game or you would shut the game out completely
 Khier
07-10-2003, 11:19 PM
Cool screens, lookin' forward to this game. :) I can see how JA's SP will be more immersive than JO's SP. In fact, other than the cool force powers and the wicked awesome lightsaber combat, it wasn't all that great in my opinion.
 Lion275
07-11-2003, 1:07 AM
Go wookiee go! daaaang nice plo koon like model (kel doran i think) dang this is gonna be awsome!
 Mr.Joshua
07-11-2003, 5:19 AM
Originally posted by Emon
1. That "worm" is a Sarlacc.

2. I think that Luke shot is modified. Parts look rounded off, and I doubt they have that 3D hair ingame. Also, the lightsaber has been clearly made in Photoshop or a similar program.

How can you say that's a sarlacc. First of all it's in the middle of some kind of base. Secondly, it looks nothing like the sarlacc from ROTJ, there's no tentacles. It looks more like a spice worm from Dune than a sarlacc, and there's no caption either. So please don't put names to things without proof.
 boinga1
07-12-2003, 12:11 AM
www.swjediacademy.com) has been updated with those models/screens...and btw,

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/images/screens/28.jpg)

Can anyone tell what's going on here?
 the_havoc
07-12-2003, 12:18 AM
Nothing special , just that the lightsaber of the Kel Dor is in an angle that it looks like if he has a ball of energy.
 Swat
07-12-2003, 1:33 AM
It looks a little too thin to be a lightsaber, don't you think?

Anyway thanks for the heads-up boinga1
 Lil Killa
07-12-2003, 4:24 AM
Originally posted by the_havoc
Nothing special , just that the lightsaber of the Kel Dor is in an angle that it looks like if he has a ball of energy.

I see how thats possible but whats the thin streak of light?
 Andy867
07-12-2003, 4:41 AM
That thing you see in near his hand is actually just an energy trail from the Force power that he is using, it would seem. Its much to thin to be a lightsaber, especially since there is no hilt in his hand. Its just a trail of energy, simple as that. Like the trail left of a lightsaber. That same principle.
 Lil Killa
07-12-2003, 4:44 AM
I got a new theory. What if in that pic he was calling his saber back to him after he dropped it. That would explain the trail of light and the odd possition of the saber that makes it look like an energy ball and also could explain the absence of the hilt. (it just hit the hand so it hasn't reapeared yet)
 Andy867
07-12-2003, 7:22 AM
The solution is simple... what happens when light energy is put into motion? It creates an afterimage, and to the human eye, it appears as a trail, hence the reason why the Kel Doran has a twisted torso.. He was going to use the Force, hence the energy, which in turn, made the comet trail of energy near his fist.
 JediLurker
07-12-2003, 7:31 AM
Looks to me like he is in fact holding a lightsaber in that hand. If you look at his other hand, the lightsaber's handle is pitch black. The geometric black spot on the hand in question is the bottom of the lightsaber handle and the blade of the saber, the intense yellow glow around the hand, is pointed away from the camera. The thin yellow streak is the lightsaber trail. In other words, he's swinging it. Another reason I believe this is that all of the shots of the Kel Dor from the same level, like the one below, show him holding two lightsabers, a yellow one in his right hand, like in the picture and a purple one in his left. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what's going on.

Edit: Added picture.

http://www.gamingfiles.com/screenshots/7/others/academy_045.jpg)
 StormHammer
07-12-2003, 9:55 AM
Well, it's quite obvious to me that these guys are part of a circus act. 'Strongarm' Kel Dor is holding a thin line with a lightbulb on the end (their special fx budget was quite small), while his partner is walking the tightrope with the aid of a balancing glow-stick. It's obviously a practice run for the 'Walking The Chasm' act. :p

On a more serious note, I haven't a clue, but I suspect all will be revealed when we play the game. :)

I like the close-up character shots. Nice attention to detail in all of those. The Wampa looks suitably fierce. Luke looks like he's having a bad day. Kyle seriously needs to get someone in to manage his wardrode. That still looks like a young Sarlacc to me. Chewie looks good too.

I love the crashed space craft.

The game is looking great. Keep up the great work, Raven! :thumbsup:
 Rockstar
07-12-2003, 11:12 AM
i hope they don't make luke go to the dark side. thats just dicking around with things too much, if anything maybe kyle go to the dark side, but if lukes dad couldn't make him evil then Raven would portray him as so weak if he fell to the dark side for some other reason.
 taekwondo joe
07-12-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Andy867
Possible, but whats up with him continuing to wear black. I mean, why not try something new, because as E! would, say, his clothes are a fashion EMERGENCY!. But anyways, it is possible that he gets tempted. i could see it now yeah, E! reviews the game, and makes crash comments about his cloths, lol any way these screens are old, been out for at least a week
 Reprehence
07-12-2003, 1:47 PM
I keep wondering what this crystal room is where we see the kel dor(and E3 demo) is fighting. Is this a tie to the crystals in JO? Could this be the greatly hoped for practice arena where one can hone jedi skills before putting jedi necks on the line in missions? Or is this a demo level that is created for play testing and will be released months after the game as a demo unplayable from within the game itself?
 Anakin1607
07-12-2003, 6:02 PM
Ah so Luke looking indimidating = automatic darksider? I think you guys have an overactive imagination. :p

If YOUR foster parents were brutally killed, you fought in a war for a decade or two, fought your father who was a Sith Lord, and gotten the crap beat out of you a few times. You'd probably look worn out and aggresive looking too.
 JaledDur
07-12-2003, 6:52 PM
Whoever said it was a lightsaber was correct. The thin line you see is the saber trail. The saber trail is a near-one dimensional effect in JO, and I dont see why it would be any different in JA.
 Emon
07-13-2003, 5:09 AM
The teeth, or spikes, or whatever they are, inside of it are exactly like that of the Sarlacc in RotJ. Sarlacc are more than just holes in the ground with tenticles, larger parts can reach out. They probably didn't want to animate all the other tenticles, or they aren't shown here. Not only this, but it's on Tatooine, and it's clearly the only logical explination.

Two dimensional, really. ;)
 HaruGlory89
07-13-2003, 12:17 PM
Luke looks like some Dark Jedi really p**sed him off.( I hope it ain't wrong if I censor the words:D )
Page: 1 of 1