Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is outsourcing the end of the white collar worker?

Page: 1 of 1
 FunClown
06-24-2003, 10:42 AM
I'm sure many people know that many jobs are going to India. Since Indians can work for 100 times less than what someone in a developed country can.

I really don't see a good future for us. Our jobs are all going overseas to places with low wages and low cost of livings. Anyone ever called a customer service and got an Indian? You know you are probably calling New Delhi or Calcutta?

I really don't know if Accounting and Finance is worth me studying. The job market is good now, but in a couple of years there will be thousands more jobs outsourced overseas in Australia and millions if you count the UK and the US.

I've read people holding MBA's and being executives in fortune 500 companies are finding it hard to get work.

So, is outsourcing going to be the death of Western civilization how we know it?

Hard to find Work (http://www.begin.ru/db/b2/5C70388BE3527181C3256D4A000EBC0B/main_id/E6C54AC514D24B8AC3256CBA00669C83/forum_card.html)

Down and Out White Collar America (http://www.begin.ru/db/b2/7782E3F810B97667C3256D2400449339/main_id/E6C54AC514D24B8AC3256CBA00669C83/forum_card.html)
 Homuncul
06-24-2003, 11:22 AM
Well, I think it's just a world tendency of encreasing quality of work. I magine average accounter, or average programmer. They work for no good money, while there is a big place in job market for high quality accounters and programmers.

I study on the Economics Faculty myself. But I probably gonna do programming, studying it myself. In Russia it's really a problem finding a highly qualifyed programmer with economics knowledge. So I'm thinking for a good wage.

Also, where I live, you can easily find 200$ accounter or 300$ programmer, and it's not easy to get a job with such skills, but for the highly qualifyed accounters and programmers the the capacity of job market is just endless.

The difference between 300$ programmer and 10000$ programmer is in exponencial growth of skills needed. Such programmers must know 1000 times more then 300$ programmer.

So, what'll happen in time I think is that India will get it's job market of average accounters filled and all developed countraries would have to adopt to a higher level of skills needed to become a competent accounter or programmer.
 FunClown
06-24-2003, 11:42 AM
So, what'll happen in time I think is that India will get it's job market of average accounters filled and all developed countraries would have to adopt to a higher level of skills needed to become a competent accounter or programmer.

But the thing is that if India gets all of the average jobs then that is a major slice of first world jobs gone. That is less tax payers and more people on welfare.

I do agree that to land a good stable job, the need for having a higher education is getting larger. Leaving high school isn't really good enough anymore. Thirty years ago, it was normal to leave in grade 10 and you would be guaranteed some sort of work.

Jobs with higher education can easily be taken as well. Since in the US people holding MBA's are finding it more difficult to find a job.

I think outsourcing is one reason why the job markets are getting so bad. As can be seen in the US. Jobs are basically being exported to places with a lower cost of living and hence lower wages.
 Cosmos Jack
06-26-2003, 12:31 PM
Companies have been leaving the US to go over sees and produce products cheaper. Just to turn around and send them back to the US at over priced prices for many years.

It's kind of like stabbing someone in the back than falling on the knife yourself. If all the companies did this they would eventually loose their market, because nobody in the US would be able to afford their crap. We would all be out of a job. lol

I don't really see to much in this though it is nasty of them to do, but they have been doing this stuff for so long. :confused:
 griff38
06-26-2003, 5:06 PM
Outsourcing as you described does limit your choices,
but we will always need salesmen.

Go into sales.

Yes it does seem unfair that US companies take their work outside the country to save money. But if you want to be fair about it, where is it written a buisness owes someone a job just because they share they same nationality?
 Cosmos Jack
06-26-2003, 5:52 PM
Originally posted by griff38
Go into sales.

What kind of joke is that. Yep I can see it now a country of nothing, but salesmen lol that's rich.

I don't believe the subject here is that extreme. Like I said companies have been doing this for decades. If it were not everyone could be a salesmen. That's just silly there are enough of them as it is.

Personally I think they should tax the hell out of American companies that go over seas. Tax them to the point where you take all the difference away and it's cheaper to stay in the US.
 TheJackal
06-27-2003, 12:01 AM
The wonder of Free Trade, the World Trade Organisation and the World Bank Federation.

Allowing coporate companies to lay off workers for a cheaper, un-unionized work force in a foreing country which will probebly never use or be able to afford the product.

Thank you greedy corporate CEO!
we salute you!
 FunClown
06-27-2003, 8:32 AM
Personally I think they should tax the hell out of American companies that go over seas. Tax them to the point where you take all the difference away and it's cheaper to stay in the US.

That is one possible solutions that our countries have been given to take. Putting something of a tariff on it. Since it is jobs that are being exported overseas.

I've noticed that outsourcing is most prevalent in the English speaking countries. So perhaps all of us should learn a new language. Maybe one that hardly anyone knows. Then every 25 years change it by surprise. Everyone must take crash courses in that language. Then not as much outsourcing.

Yes it does seem unfair that US companies take their work outside the country to save money. But if you want to be fair about it, where is it written a buisness owes someone a job just because they share they same nationality?

It isn't really about companies owing us a job. Its about them being responsible and adding something to the community where they operate in rather than some sweatshop 10,000km away.

Think about it though. When it comes down to what people you would want a company to employ. Would you rather a company that depends on the particular region you live in to employ people in sweatshops half the world away or rather employ people in your region?

I can't see outsourcing as being good for the economies of the affected nations in the long run.
 griff38
06-27-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by FunClown

It isn't really about companies owing us a job. Its about them being responsible and adding something to the community where they operate in rather than some sweatshop 10,000km away.

Think about it though. When it comes down to what people you would want a company to employ. Would you rather a company that depends on the particular region you live in to employ people in sweatshops half the world away or rather employ people in your region?

I can't see outsourcing as being good for the economies of the affected nations in the long run.

Well, what you say might be the correct and moral way but its not the American way. The US is not a country based on fairness or morals despite what many in this country scream at the top of their lungs. Our nations economy is based on capitalism and that means survial of the strongest. American companies have been cutting each others throats, stealing ideas and employees alway, finding a cheaper faster better way to increase the profit margin since the begining. And nobody complains till it hits THEIR OWN backyard.

Actually this might be good for Americans and the rest of the world. Americans might finally have to get off their asses and work like 90% of the rest of the planet. I mean come on even on a bad day most Americans have it better than people all over the world. We (US) have ridden a wave of prosperity since the end of world war 2. And now we have several generations of citizens who think that they are ENTITLED or OWED a living.

Where was this ever written or discussed anywhere?
 TheJackal
06-27-2003, 6:23 PM
oh and the point said why dont we just tax the hell out of those american companies moving into your country. its not THAT simple for Canada.

Every damn move we make to protect our culture from the overwhelming american culture is viewed as Anti-American by the states and then they retaliate with ridiculous economic claims on our stuff. its getting out of hand.

Why cant we Canadians try to protect out own culture without being blamed for being anti-american! I'm just happy we have Quйbec. Without them Canada would probebly be just an other American state.
 FunClown
06-28-2003, 4:55 AM
Guys, I don't want this thread to have the US as the sole focus. It is a problem shared by other countries as well.

Outsourcing may not be that bad right now(then again it probably is). But in a few years time, don't be surprised if you see this more in the media. Indians can afford to work for less since they can buy more than we can for less.

In the future however, China will come more into these white collar sweat shops.

I think the governments should start doing something now rather than later, like taxing.

If I ever own my own business or become an exec, it would be very hard for me to use this cheap labour as it goes beyond what I would call right. It would be tempting none the less. However, something I would do is make sure that the community where I operate knows that the company is giving something back to the region. Whereas other companies are taking their jobs overseas.

This is why many companies who use this cheap labour have made employees sign non-disclosure agreements and keep this information secret. Since, if the public found out that this was happening the company may be boycotted by their cutomers.

Have any of you rang up customer service and got an Indian voice? If you do, chances are you are actually calling New Delhi or Bangalore.

BTW outsourcing are reasons why I generally don't buy brand name clothing and such. I feel like such a tool paying so much money for an item of clothing just because it has some symbol on it like a tick. In reality it cost about 3 cents to make.
 Cosmos Jack
06-28-2003, 4:53 PM
Actually this might be good for Americans and the rest of the world. Americans might finally have to get off their asses and work like 90% of the rest of the planet. I work:D

2. And now we have several generations of citizens who think that they are ENTITLED or OWED a living. This is pretty much true they're lots of Americans on welfare with 2 or 3 kids that don't have a job.

I had a real heated argument at work with a girl that was on it, because she believed it was everyone else's job to help her raise her kids. That the state should give her money. LOL Welfare was suppose to be a "pick me up" not a "hand me down" it wasn't suppose to support lazy people. It was suppose to give them a hand tell they got back on there feet; however, a lot of Americans seem to think that they are entitled to my hard earned tax money just for the fact they don't want to work. That really ERKS ME ! !:mad:
Page: 1 of 1