Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Thunder!

Page: 1 of 1
 wedge2211
06-22-2003, 1:38 AM
BUM BA DA DA DUUUUUUMMMMM!!!!

[/huge fanfare]

The newest work in progress on my computer: THUNDER! This has actually been in the works for some time, I tried to do this for my very first map (unreleased...way before Carexa Station, which was also unreleased). The idea is to have an asymmetrical capture the flag level: One team gets a base, there's an open outdoor area, and the other team gets a system of canyons and caves on the other side. Now that I've had Facets to practice my GenSurf skilz, I can do the outdoor area properly.

http://wso.williams.edu:8000/~jshoer/images/screenshots/thunderconcept.jpg)

This is a concept sketch of the facade of the industral base. The map, thus far, actually does look sort of like this. I've finished the GenSurf part, and bits of the base facade.

http://wso.williams.edu:8000/~jshoer/images/screenshots/shot0000_640.jpg)

Here is a map of the...map...(I make this sort of paper map for all my JO maps). The dotted lines are lower level, solid lines are upper level. Click on it for a colorized version. A legend is on my web site.

http://wso.williams.edu:8000/~jshoer/images/screenshots/thunder_layout.JPG) (http://wso.williams.edu:8000/~jshoer/images/screenshots/thunder_layout_color.JPG)

The map features rolling thunder sounds, and I actually got the skybox to include lightning flashes. Not static pictures of lightning. Actual FLASHES. The effect comes out quite nicely.

So, look to my web site for updates, as always, and I'll be keeping this thread up-to-date. Look for THUNDER in stores later this summer!
 Eldritch
06-22-2003, 1:46 AM
*reserves a copy*
 wedge2211
06-22-2003, 9:20 PM
 The Cheat
06-22-2003, 9:25 PM
wow, that is very impressive work wedge! do you plan on possibly releasing a beta of it for some of us to test out?

the round glass windows are very impressive by the way

very cool!!!!!!
 Kengo
06-22-2003, 9:31 PM
Very interesting architectural style on that base. The terrain looks even better than Facets, which had excellent terrain itself. All round it sounds, once again, extremely innovative, and it already looks rather good. That plan on paper is very interesting...I get the feeling you're a pretty good artist on paper as well?
 lassev
06-23-2003, 4:47 AM
His map looks better on a paper sketch than mine in reality! I guess it's easy to understand why a good artist is a good mapper. Even these rather early screenshots show the power of the imagination of a true artist.
 lauser
06-23-2003, 4:34 PM
I think just about anyone can do a great map. It takes time, patience, stealing ideas from other maps and artisitic skill helps a little too. Now when I say stealing I mean it in a nice way. I mean take the general principle and apply it to your map in a non-offensive way. Not that I do this all the time but some ideas are really innovative. And you can build on those same ideas.

My bigest problem is TOO MUCH detail which eats up framerate. Like my if_bespin map has way too many brushes in it. I should have made models instead.

I used to do alot of drafting when I was younger. I can see things in my head in 3D and 2D. I also have experience in interior/exterior design so I have somewhat of an idea what color schemes go together.
I don't generally draw things out on paper because it's just more work for me.

Sorry for the resume...LOL
 wedge2211
06-23-2003, 9:23 PM
Yeah, all my "schematic"-style drawings are like that base layout map...all pretty good in my opinion. I've got lots of little spacecraft schematic drawings...I want to be an aerospace engineer. :) My more artistic drawings, though...I mean, LOOK at that bit of "concept art," that's as good as it gets. And I can't draw a face for crap. But in my opinion, the "plan" of the map is what makes it great. That and being able to carry a good theme.

What you've been seeing is basically the no-man's-land between the bases. (Remember, more shots on my web site!) I'm thinking of releasing the NML as a "preview" FFA. Maybe.

Altus_Thrawn
06-24-2003, 3:37 PM
I really like it!

Just asking-what happened to derelict?
 wedge2211
06-24-2003, 10:20 PM
Derelict is exactly that, as Eldritch put it the other day. :) I just decided my heart wasn't in the map, and the layout sucked. So you get this instead.
 DarkLord60
06-24-2003, 11:03 PM
Very swank!
 Shotokan
06-25-2003, 6:06 AM
Wow man that's pretty tight. O and BTW what's this GenSurf thing?
 Zappa_0
06-26-2003, 1:16 AM
Looks really nice...cant wait until you release it!
 Eldritch
06-26-2003, 3:11 AM
GenSurf is a plugin that comes with all stable releases of GtK Radiant. It allows you to create realistic looking terrain (GENeratorSURFace = Surface Generator... that's how I remember it, anyway) using manual inputs or with black/white bitmaps (as Wedge showed me not too long ago).

rgoer also has a neat link to a little program that will allow you to create some awesome bitmaps for terrain over in the editing forum, if you're interested.

I'm still a novice with GenSurf so if you have any more advanced questions, I'd ask Wedge or rgoer! :)
 lassev
06-26-2003, 9:41 AM
I guess one could just use Gensurf in GTK to do the terrain and then copy it to JK2Radiant. Even if you can't do it with JK2 it must understand it, right? I don't want to use (twice) GTK with my current project as it removes all trigger_onces and func_walls.
 Louis
06-26-2003, 1:04 PM
lassev...are you sure they were really gone? In the 3D window, they often don't show up even though they are there. And are you sure you didn't have them filtered out? I find it odd that it would delete them all...

Anyway, not to steel Wedge's thread...keep working on this man, will be a great map.
 The Cheat
06-26-2003, 1:22 PM
hows it coming wedge? i cant wait for this to be released. i love that you did some concept art before you actually started mapping to give you an idea of what you were going to create, probably makes it easier when constructing the map
 wedge2211
06-26-2003, 9:10 PM
It's coming along okay. I've been pretty busy this week, but I still got some mapping in...mainly picking textures for the outside of the base. In some ways, it's tougher when I have a very exact idea of what I want...
 Altus_Thrawn
06-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Ok I understand about derelict being derelict

If and when there is a beta I would like to be in it... :D
 Shotokan
07-10-2003, 5:36 AM
Got any more updates on your level wedge? :p
 wedge2211
07-10-2003, 11:28 AM
I've had to put this temporarily on hold to finish my commitments to the NRG FFA pack. Don't worry, I still expect to finish Thunder this summer.
 Patrick_H
07-16-2003, 12:17 PM
FYI:

Gensurf works just fine with JK2 Radiant. Just install it into a "Plugins" folder, then select it from the "Plugins" menu.

Nice map Wedge. Good mood lighting.
 Shotokan
07-29-2003, 9:03 AM
O ok take your time wedge:D.
Page: 1 of 1