Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Wish!!! Movement for clothing in some way!

Page: 1 of 1
 babywax
06-19-2003, 6:23 PM
I really wish they would implement this, in almost every movie the jedi have cloaks on and it would be so neat to have the ability to put one on in this, and move with you, sort of like everquest 2, although it wouldn't have to be that detailed. Please implement this!
 Troopr-Undr-Fir
06-19-2003, 7:16 PM
like the new shanobi? that would be awsome. It would also make it dramatic(like in Ep 1 where Obi and Quigon and Darth Maul all took off their cloaks ) This would be a great addition.

But sadly I went to E3 and there was no such thing :(
 babywax
06-19-2003, 10:54 PM
Well not even that much! Just to have your clothes move when you move, sort of lag behind you a little. If you're running with your cloak on it will go back a little in the wind etc...
 Obi-Wan X
06-19-2003, 11:32 PM
Makes me wonder if there will even BE Jedi Robes like Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon used. It would be quite weird to see just a solid robe laying stiff while you run and even stand still,
 babywax
06-20-2003, 12:26 AM
What would be wierd? There are numerous technologies already existing that allow for the engine to make it move fluidly.
 praenuntius
06-20-2003, 2:43 AM
Yeah, I thought things like skeletal animation could make a lot of that possible. It was probably too much extra work.

Still, it would be really cool if, during saber fights, your cloak became more and more tattered. It wouldn't even have to be accurate, there could be fixed tattering spots on the cloak so after a certain number of near misses with a light saber, the game would automatically swap the model of your cloak to one slightly more damaged.

Okay, so I guess my idea for clothing would be even more complex than just having realistically moving clothing. :)
 praenuntius
06-20-2003, 2:48 AM
They could make it so that they can specify wind vectors for different parts of the map. The wind tunnel thingies in JO could look cool. Except if done improperly, then when falling, your cloak might puff out like a parachute ;)
 babywax
06-20-2003, 3:21 AM
Yeah, only problem with that is it might lag... But I think they could fit atleast moving clothing in some way? Try playing as mon-mothma in MP JO, I mean her dress never moves on her arms or legs or anything...
 HertogJan
06-20-2003, 6:45 AM
I'd like to have cloaks, but remember that Jedi usually put off their cloas when fighting. And when they go on a mission that involves fighting...

Anyway, I think there are some Jedi-like clothes in JA (like the Jedi robes in the movies), but from what I've seen, the real classic outfits won't be there, so no cloaks.
 Matariel
06-20-2003, 8:04 AM
this came up a few months ago, and while it's a little too CPU costly to make fully simulated clothing, ive found its really easy to set up about 3 bones at the tips of clothing, and then set up some simple IK chains back up the length of the cape. I think this is how they did it in Max Payne, but im not sure.
We also now know that Clothing will be seperate models to the actual player models, so cloth simulation is a very real possibility.
The trick is implementing it with the least processor time :)
 BloodRiot
06-20-2003, 2:53 PM
well, stuff like long hair, cape and cloaks could be made using separate models on top of the player models. These clothing models could have a bone setting of theyr own and iff this game is using a pseudo rag doll system... it could work.. if collision detection is any good that is.

I reckon the clothing bones nly needed to look after 3 variables... collision detection... and gravity (this including the constand downward pull vs upward air resistance) so the model is pulled and held by the model.. but the loose ends are affected by permanent environment factors.... although cool and yes i'd luv to see this... i think it might prove tricky unfortunatly.

oh well... maybe next time ;p
 Solbe M'ko
06-20-2003, 4:58 PM
That would be cool if there was some way to keep the clipping in check. In Splinter Cell, the curtains, etc. look really cool when they move around you, but if you just stand still underneath one, it starts to clip a lot. This isn't a problem in SC, but if you made clothes that moved, and they clipped, it would look very strange.

I dunno, maybe it wouldn't be a problem...
 Matariel
06-21-2003, 3:18 AM
yeah, having simulated cloth so close to another model all the time can be a real problem, the only solution is per vertex collision detection...but if the JA models are 5000 polys or so, thats a lot of calculations, so its not very practical.
Shame tho, i wanted a cool robe on my Jedi that moves and flows like its the real thing...
Page: 1 of 1