Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Nightfall MP map

Page: 2 of 2
 Patrick_H
08-01-2003, 6:16 AM
Not to be a bummer, but it may actually look not as good in-game. You never know. I'm going to say August 30th for a release date.

Yeah, I was up all night trying out ShaderEd2. It's really pretty nice once you get used to it. It helped me solve a few shader problems I was having that would have taken forever when done "by hand".
It's also a great learning tool. I learned a lot previewing Raven's shaders in ShaderEd2, and then comparing the information with the handy Q3 shader manual by Paul Jacquays. I already have a bunch of ideas for custom shaders now!

Got some updates:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1sx51/haslow/misc/shot0028.jpg)

Seen above is a huge wall texture I recently did. This shows Q3map2 set for bounce 6 and bouncescale 2. Ambient is down to 10 now, and skylight is at 40.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1sx51/haslow/misc/shot0029.jpg)
Here we see some ramps added in for better flow in gameplay.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1sx51/haslow/misc/shot0030.jpg)
This shot isn't actually this bright in game. It's brighter than before though, and I removed the "Arcade game" machine between the stairs to improve the flow, and added some red and blue accents for the CTF theme,

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1sx51/haslow/misc/shot0031.jpg)
This is a fun shot of the last thing you see before you fall to your death in the cavern.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1sx51/haslow/misc/shot0032.jpg)
This last one shows the "blue" cavern area where I added in two new textures- the grates and the vertical wall panels with blue lights.
 Eldritch
08-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Very nice, Patrick. I really like the canyon area and the new wall panel. :D
 wedge2211
08-01-2003, 12:49 PM
Awesome, Patrick. I'm a fan. :)

This really throws me back to the style of JK/MotS, and I mean that in the good way. The map reminds me of the Valley of the Jedi Planet or the MotS Imperial asteroid levels. It really does have a distinct style going for it.

What remains to be done? The shots you've posted all look VERY complete, down to the little details. A month is a long time to finish a map off...are there lots of unconstructed areas?
 Shotokan
08-01-2003, 5:57 PM
This really throws me back to the style of JK/MotS, and I mean that in the good way. The map reminds me of the Valley of the Jedi Planet or the MotS Imperial asteroid levels. It really does have a distinct style going for it.

Does that for me too wedge :p. Good old nostalgia. Hey Pat keep it up and I am greatly looking forward to this map's release hehe.
 Reclaimer
08-01-2003, 6:13 PM
Does it have CTF just wourdering.But that Map is GREAT I'm d/l it right when it's done!
 Patrick_H
08-01-2003, 6:17 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
What remains to be done? The shots you've posted all look VERY complete, down to the little details. A month is a long time to finish a map off...are there lots of unconstructed areas?

Well, no. It's mostly built. It's just that I am being realistic about replacing all of the JO textures with my own. Each texture I do takes me about 2-3 hours to design and then create in Photoshop. See, I am gunning for a job in the industry... so for my own aims, everything has to be "portfolio" material.
 Patrick_H
08-01-2003, 6:25 PM
Originally posted by Reclaimer
Does it have CTF just wourdering.But that Map is GREAT I'm d/l it right when it's done!

The map is actually built in a CTF layout. There are blue and red shuttle pad and cavern areas to the west and east of the central canyon/garrison area. Maybe a FFA version should only have one shuttle area? Or should it just be the same map as CTF? I have only tested it in FFA so far. The gang at df-21.net will be helping me out in the CTF test this month.

Now that I think of it, the only thing bothering me about the canyon is the manufactured look of it. I am considering creating a heightmap and redoing all the rock contours in gensurf or easygen for a more natural look.
 Reclaimer
08-01-2003, 6:26 PM
Keep it with two shuttle ports it would be easier.

Any release date yet?
 rgoer
08-01-2003, 7:33 PM
Originally posted by Patrick_H
...I'm going to say August 30th for a release date....Did you even read the thread?
;^)
 Reclaimer
08-03-2003, 1:22 PM
Hey Pat in one of your screens there are two AT-ST's are they drivable?
 Reclaimer
08-03-2003, 5:33 PM
Cool that is the best map I've seen!
 Eldritch
08-03-2003, 10:25 PM
Patrick, I would be reaaaaly careful about posting shots of that leaked beta. It might be prudent to pull that shot down until after JA has been officially released.

Just a friendly warning - you never know who might see it.
 Shotokan
08-10-2003, 3:36 AM
Who knows, I may be a mod in disguise! (I'm not don't worry... Haha) Many bad things can happen to people with illegal things...
 The Truthful Liar
08-10-2003, 2:07 PM
I'll quote myself here.

I have to warn you about posting screenshots taken in the pre-official released version of JA.

I'm supposed to notify the admins so they can list the names (and IP) of those persons who have aquired the JA alpha/beta to Raven Software.

So, in short, don't post them again.
 Shotokan
08-22-2003, 6:50 AM
Hey Pat, since JA is gonna come out pretty soon are you gonna hold this off and release it for JA? Sorry if this was asked before, and if it was, well... Feel free to smack me around *runs for cover*
 Patrick_H
08-22-2003, 11:04 AM
That's a good possibility. The people at massassi.net recommended releasing maybe a month after Jedi Academy's release. I think I might just do that. I'm busy learning UnrealEd at the moment anyway.
 Shotokan
08-22-2003, 8:07 PM
Ah ok. Just was wondering.
 Emon
08-22-2003, 8:54 PM
Yes, wait until the novelty of JA dies down before you release it. Otherwise people will be like "OMG WOW THIS GAME IS SO COOL!!! What's that, a user level, oh I don't care THESE LEVELS ARE JUST SO COOL OMG I CAN DO THAT!@?!"
 Patrick_H
08-24-2003, 6:14 AM
This of course means the good people at http://www.df-21.net) will be playing it a month before everyone else!
 Ockniel
08-30-2003, 1:02 AM
your maps are way better than mine, hey could I get that shader your using(pls send to www.ahnilator03@cs.com) if you can) I'd really appreciate it

your map is SO COOL!!!!! I cant get over it
 Patrick_H
08-30-2003, 3:47 PM
I'm not sure which shader you want.
 Captian
08-30-2003, 8:59 PM
hey patrick, you wouldnt happen to be [div3rse.shaz] would you?
 Patrick_H
08-31-2003, 4:55 AM
Uh...no. I am not even sure what you are talking about (alias?). That seems a common thread here lately.
 Captian
08-31-2003, 9:27 PM
i was talking about player name in jk2, but oh well. hows the map going?
 Patrick_H
09-02-2003, 3:37 AM
Oh I see. You'll know me in the game as Malus, or the one who gets his ass whooped a lot. I'm better at building than playing. The map is still there sitting for the moment. I am working a lot at new textures so there is a lot left to do. I was hoping to get it out in August. Oh well. I should be releasing it probably in October for Jedi Academy. I am split between my work in Dark Forces and stuff for UT2K3, so I am in no hurry. When I do any more work I'll post screens.
 Patrick_H
10-18-2003, 11:15 PM
Oh well, I guess an October release is out of the question. I'm just too busy right now and I haven't even bought JA yet, let alone adding in the rest of the new textures. Maybe sometime before the end of November.
Page: 2 of 2