Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Darth Vader 3rd best

Page: 1 of 1
 lukeiamyourdad
06-07-2003, 12:23 AM
I was watching the AFI's 100 best heroes and bad guys last tuesday and Darth Vader came in 3rd!!!!!!

only the guy from Psycho and Hannibal Lecter have beaten him.
So much pride for the Dark Lord!
 Lynk Former
06-07-2003, 12:39 AM
no way, Vader was like THE bad guy... i feel so cheated with him coming 3rd x.x
 lukeiamyourdad
06-07-2003, 12:48 AM
I forgot to mention that Han Solo is 14th best good guy and Old Obi-Wan is 3?. I can't remember!!! it was 30 something tho.
 Jedi Apprentice
06-07-2003, 1:55 AM
Bah.

Obi-Wan deserves much more than a rank in the 30's.

Vader does deserve the high spot he recieved though.

He's one bad guy. :D

Any other Star Wars characters get ratings besides the ones that were listed? Anyone have a link to where I can see the list?

:)
 wassup
06-07-2003, 2:17 AM
http://www.afi.com/tv/handv.asp)

Scroll down a bit and you should see it.
 JediNyt
06-07-2003, 5:19 PM
I think Palpatine/Sidious should have gotten #1 villan, he IS the Dark side figuritively speaking. Hes the main villan in all the SW movies even when you dont see him.

And now young Skywalker...you will die... *nasty grin* :lightning

For #1 hero I think Id go with T-800 from T2.

Imo Obi-Wan got ripped off. 37th :disaprove
 Lynk Former
06-07-2003, 5:22 PM
Vader + Imperial March. Nuff said
 Jedi Apprentice
06-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Lynk Former

Agreed

Imo Obi-Wan got ripped off. 37th

Definitely agreed.

What I want to know is...

Where in the world is Luke Skywalker at? I mean, the guy brought Vader back to the light side and truly brought balance to the force.

Bah...Aragorn should be in the top ten along with Gandalf and some of the other LoTR characters. :D
 Darth Homer
06-08-2003, 12:55 AM
Hannibal Lecter and Norman Bates beat out Darth Vader? No Luke Skywalker? No YODA? What were these people on when they came up with the list?

I mean, Norman Bates was just crazy, that's all...Hannibal dserves the no 2 spot, he really is creepy, but Vader is just downright evil...killing guys because they failed him once or twice...come on! Vader is No. 1
 Snafu7
06-08-2003, 1:32 AM
James Bond got #3 good guy... hmmm, that's shocking.
 lukeiamyourdad
06-08-2003, 8:51 PM
Why is that shocking???

Anyway, Luke and Leia were nominated but were cut off and so did Gandalf.

Vader deserved his spot and so does Hannibal and Norman Bates.
And 3rd place is really good.
 ZBomber
06-08-2003, 9:14 PM
I think Yoda should have been number 3 for Heroes. ;)
 dark jedi 8
06-12-2003, 11:08 PM
i think obi and luke got ripped off. especially luke! though it was nice to see indiana jones in the top 10. and i think vader could have been#2.:)
 Kstar__2
06-13-2003, 11:20 AM
darth vader is now #1 in the msn bad guys list :D
 Clemme w/Stick
06-13-2003, 8:50 PM
Originally posted by Lynk Former

*Nodds*

I have nothing to add. Vader is and will always be THE BADDEST GUY EVER!

-Clemme
 pleto4_ryan
06-29-2003, 12:22 AM
DArth Vader wasn't SO bad...he was LOST...The emperor was the TRUE BAD one...

Hannibal and norman deserves the spots i say

-------------

INDY is second :) YEP

-------

lol the queen of the snowhite at the 10 place

13 ) :) HAL 9000

(in 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY)
------------------------

14. Han Solo

(in STAR WARS) :(
 Captain Wilson
08-05-2003, 11:26 PM
Alex De Large (in CLOCKWORK ORANGE) The alien, Freddy Krueger, Hans Gruber and the Terminator should have been higher, and vader 2nd, but lector...
hes lector...
nuff said :D
 Skywalker 1138
08-19-2003, 1:06 AM
I think Vader deserved higher...of course I'm biased.
 jedispy
09-10-2003, 4:37 AM
Darth Vader is the bad guy that we all aspire to become......er.....uh I mean he is really cool.

Seriously though, Norman Bates beat out Vader? How is that possible? First of all are we talking about Vince Vaughn/Norman Bates or Anthony Perkins/Norman Bates? Anthony Perkins was better than Vince Vaugn. However he still is nowhere close to the ultimate bad @$$ quality that Vader held to. (Maybe if the contest were for the most messed up, then I could see Norman bates beating Vader.)

Hannibal Lecter would be more of competition for Vader. Still though, Hannibal is evil because he's severely messed up. Vader is a master of the dark side of the force. He's not messed up at all.

Why Vader should be #1:
*Darth Vader/James Earl Jones has a cooler voice.
*Darth Vader has mechanical rhythmic breathing. It has an eery inhuman quality to it.
*Darth Vader chokes employees that fail him. Talk about upper management skills!!!
*Darth Vader has cooler lines. (Although the whole "I'm having a friend for dinner" line in Silence of the Lambs was pretty darn cool.)
*Darth Vader never needs to take showers, so Norman Bates couldn't stab him to death.
*Darth Vader is "more machine than man" so Hannibal wouldn't get much of a meal.

Pretty much , Darth Vader is da bomb!!
 Jordan Duron
09-13-2003, 10:36 AM
Really i kinda like Darth vader so i think should be in 5th place oh and yodaman should be in 1st man he rocked in part 2 anyways now i will go now and leave you guys with a movie. :lsduel:
 Eva
09-15-2003, 1:14 PM
Nothing against Yoda fan but he was'nt that big of a character to be on list of hero like Luke Sykwalker is.

Vador got ranked numeber 3.
!!!VADOR RULZ AND GOT A GOOD RANK!!!
 Jaden007
09-17-2003, 12:31 PM
I'm glad Vader got 3rd but obi1 got ripped off.:( And the emperor from SW shoulda got top villian :duel:
 Sivy
09-17-2003, 12:41 PM
obi-wan deserved better, he certainly shouldn't be behind erin brockovich.
but vader did good and its great to see indy at 2.
 BCanr2d2
10-04-2003, 2:33 PM
How can you say DV is #3, he redefined the way a baddy was shown in a movie.

All fine and good Norman Bates in Psycho, but I don't think that he changed how evil people should be depicted, no one has even seriously attempted to copy Vader, he is stand alone the most evil character EVER

Imperial March, uh-huh! Faceless evil man, oh yeah.
 Katarn07
10-04-2003, 6:16 PM
Let's all calm down. I mean, you know the list is screwed up when Atticus Finch is #1. I mean, Tom Robinson is killed in the end after all that work he did he lost the case! Some hero.... :rolleyes: He wouldn't let Scout beat up the kids that insulted her and Jem either when they were defending his honor! Don't get me wrong on this, I am not being biased. To Kill a Mockingbird is a good book, but he does not deserve to be on the list of the top 100 greatest heroes. I'm sorry, that's just my thought on this "list."

More examples to a lesser extent. Wicked Witch of the West is #4 over Jack Torrence who ranked #25. Heck, the 6 hour TV version of The Shining's Jack Torrence was better than the witch and he was pathetic compared to Jack Nicholson. And 'The Shark' from Jaws is on it?! :confused:

In all honesty, here's my ranking on the whole matter:

Heroes: Indy #1. Bond #2. Han, Obi, and Luke shoulda all had their place. Maybe even Leia. She was good in her time as a gal that could take care of herself, but female heros are common nowadays....

Villains: Emperor #1. Vader #2. Hannibal #3. The rest on that list were terrible choices (not all) and won't even try to sort it.
 lukeiamyourdad
10-05-2003, 5:59 PM
I disagree, Atticus Finch deserved his place. Heroes are more then guns and powers. Atticus Finch lived in a world full of hate and still stood for himself. He loses the case but delivers a message of peace. Also he is obviously a pacifist which is why he didn't let Scout beat up those kids.

Luke didn't make the cut because he was a simple hero. Just doing what all heroes do...
Han on the other hand was a renegade, a little smuggler scum who doesn't have any of the qualities of a hero but still ends up being one.

The Emperor does NOT deserve to be on any list of best bad guys.
An overall look makes you see that Vader is by far a better villain then the Emperor. I mean sure he controls the Empire but we mostly see Vader doing the ground work, being at the center of the whole plot. Palpatine is almost an extra compared to Vader.

Thus the Emperor should not be ranked higher then Vader.
 dr domo
10-16-2003, 8:54 AM
Vader should have been #1, hell I'm an 'adult' and I still have nightmares about him ;)
 Lynk Former
10-16-2003, 11:11 AM
are you sure they're nightmares or just kinky dreams you wish you didn't have? XD
 dr domo
10-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Yeah I'm sure the kinky dreams are about Amidala in her daughters slave outfit ;)
 Lynk Former
10-17-2003, 12:04 PM
nah... better to dream about girls you can get rather than girls that don't really exist in real life XD
 Spazz
10-17-2003, 8:49 PM
Natalie portman exists in real life...and shes hot...so I see no problem...for me anyway. Anyway, Vader deserves at least a #3 spot...but where is Scarface?!?! He was bad too!!

:duel:
Page: 1 of 1