Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

special editions

Page: 1 of 1
 Carbon_sleeper
06-06-2003, 9:02 PM
I just have to say (and I know I'll get slammed for this) that I saw star wars in the 70's when it first hit, and I've been a huge fan ever since. I've seen all the films, read some of the books, read all of the books based on movies, and I just have to say that I like the special editions better. Much better.

Sure, Greedo should not have shot first. Whoop. But most of the stuff that I had read in the novel, back in the 80's, wasn't in the originals and I was always disappointed by that. Then, one day, Lucas releases these films with Biggs! and the Han and Jabba scene! with better effects. I can respect the purists that want that film out b/c of it's nestalgic value, but I hope this doesn't cause the special editions to be replaced. Having both would be great, but to tell the truth, I've got both and I never watch the original versions anymore.

Am I totally alone in feeling this way?
 Random
06-06-2003, 9:19 PM
I watch both my Classic and SE versions. It just depends on the mood I'm in. My only complaint is that Lucas refuses to release the Classic version on DVD.
 benTantilles
06-07-2003, 1:22 AM
i watch the SE only...it is, after all, an improvement over the classics, isn't it? it includes everything in the classic version & has the extra scenes as well, rite?

and yeah, i, too, liked seeing biggs.
 C Shutt
06-07-2003, 6:30 AM
Originally posted by benTantilles
i watch the SE only...it is, after all, an improvement over the classics, isn't it?

No, it isn't.
 Lynk Former
06-07-2003, 6:32 AM
Return of the Jedi... ruined... RUINED!... RUUUUIIIIIINEEEEEEEDD!!!
 benTantilles
06-07-2003, 12:06 PM
wow, lynk...was there that much of a diff between the SE & the classic version? i watched the latter only a few times when i was a toddler...got the SE a few years back and haven't watched any other sw version since.

what sorta changes did the SE have?
 Carbon_sleeper
06-07-2003, 11:21 PM
Link, so you really liked the original ewok song better than the new John Williams score at the end of ROTJ? I'm not arguing or anything. I mean, I respect your opinion, but I thought the ending of Jedi was a hundred times better than the original. It finally got the epic scope it deserved. Of course, that's just my opinion, which is very often wrong. ;)
 Lynk Former
06-08-2003, 1:49 AM
Did ANYONE notice how much the song in Jabba's Palace sucked?... that completely ruined it for me... COMPLETELY
 Jedi Apprentice
06-08-2003, 2:06 AM
It was pretty stinkin' bad.

Jabba's palace needed a lot less of that and a lot more Oola.

Maybe some more slave Leia....:D

Wasn't the songs name "Jabba's Rock" or something like that? The title of it automatically made it bad....
 Lynk Former
06-08-2003, 3:06 AM
@ Carbon: I liked the new ewok ending but the bad still out weighs the good... Jedi was ruined...
 benTantilles
06-08-2003, 8:00 AM
fortunately, wedge was there to save the day and salvage the wreck which lucas made...
 dark jedi 8
06-12-2003, 10:53 PM
the dance move in jedi, and that damn greedo are the only regrets about the SE that i have. other than that, it was better. and i do hope the dvd of jedi could let you choose between both endings!:)
 Lord_Falcon
06-21-2003, 3:01 PM
I for one loved Return of the Jedi. Although the jabba song was a wee bit silly the movie ws just awesome. I don't know why everyone gives it a bad rap? Hope you can tell me!
 The Cheat
06-22-2003, 12:45 AM
are they gonna do anything more to these movies before they release them on dvd? i heard they are gonna shoot some footage of natalie portman for return of the jedi but im not sure why.

i guess with george lucas in control u can always "improve"
 Random
06-22-2003, 11:33 AM
I don't want to see Natalie aged that much. If he's going to add footage, add the Wompa vs Stormtrooper scene. And fix the Rancor's matting lines.
 The Cheat
06-22-2003, 4:34 PM
I did a little search and found an article about it. apparantly jar jar is gonna show up too:mad: hopefully he will be on Alderan when it is destroyed http://www.videoeta.com/news/1142)
 Random
06-22-2003, 8:02 PM
Oh, son of a bad word. :rolleyes: George, What the heck is wrong with you?!?!?1!:rolleyes: If that's all true, I hope its nothing more than a flashback and they don't acutally find her as an old lady back on Naboo.

And yah, Jar Jar should get a flashback of him being at ground zero on Alderan. "Ohh, lookie lookie, a new moon..." ZAP!!
 The Cheat
06-22-2003, 10:00 PM
yeah random i agree with u they should just have her as like a flashback from leias memory or something when luke asks her about her mother. its probably stuff lucas thinks is needs to help with inconsistencies in the series
 Rogue15
06-23-2003, 12:45 AM
hey, sounds pretty damn good to me! :D
 The Cheat
06-23-2003, 1:03 AM
who knows how this could turn out. it could make the movies so much better and explain some more things or it could ruin the entire series. we shall see in a few years when they are rerereleased
 The Cheat
06-25-2003, 12:39 PM
is it just me or are some of the things done in special editions of movies kind of a slap across the face for the people who made the original because its like oh you didnt do anything really amazing, we can do so much better
 OmegaNothing
06-28-2003, 10:02 PM
At the end of the day, Lucas re-released the Star Wars and re did some scenes to get more people back into it for the release of the new trilogy.
 OmegaNothing
06-28-2003, 10:03 PM
That wasn't a complaint by the way, I love all things Star Wars.
 pleto4_ryan
06-28-2003, 11:17 PM
personal :

I am seeing star wars from 3 years old (younger maybe :p) father's a Fan...now i am more of a fan than him :)

Anyway i saw all the trilogy over 1000 times...but now when i want to see star wars i OF COURSE see the newer versions. It's what they meant to be....It's what lucas had in mind but couldn't do from the start...
The classic are classic i have them in 2 copies(6 cassetes) and keeps them safe...but except that....

--------------------------

why do you all hate so much Jar-Jar????

"Ohh, lookie lookie, a new moon..." ZAP!!

KARALOL, real funny. had me fell off my chair :)

-----------------------------------

New scenes in the old trilogy....YUUUPIIEEEE :D
 Tufkad
07-01-2003, 3:09 AM
I find it hard to insult anything remotely related to star wars. Special Edition or classic.

But JarJar.... *sigh*:chop1:
 OmegaNothing
07-06-2003, 12:13 PM
Lets face it Jar Jar was a result of Lucas being more involved than he was in ESB and RotJ.
Page: 1 of 1