Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Recording Your Battles

Page: 1 of 1
 Damarius
06-05-2003, 4:35 AM
I was thinking that if there was a way to record your battles while you fought and re watch them in 3d it would be a great advantage to the player. Not only would the graphics be cool but also you could learn from your mistakes and correct them. I hope this is implemented. What do you think?
 Jackrabbit
06-05-2003, 9:07 AM
In a lot of games you can record demos, but I've never figured out how (or cared enough to do it). I think it would be cool in this game. You could make a short film of all your battles. I'm not sure if it's in though.
 Donnie Darko
06-05-2003, 11:03 AM
You'll probably need some program that only works for Macs...
 Lord_Vessen
06-05-2003, 12:52 PM
I hope they have some sort of screenshot or movie record things. I mean there are just those times where you do an unbeivable thing and you want to show it to everyone.
 UnfrozenCaveman
06-10-2003, 3:16 PM
You'll probably need some program that only works for Macs... Yeah for some reason, Macs always have "excellent programs" but I still don't understand why MAC only has 10% of the market :p :D
 ryanalot
06-10-2003, 3:42 PM
macs suck

:ewok:
 Pr1mo
06-15-2003, 12:04 AM
um.. macs suck. they dont have any excellent programs that pcs dont, they dont perform any special tasks that pcs dont. the only reason they account for 10% of the market is because their lame marketing scheme which tries to make macs sound like the easier to handle computer. too bad they crash way more then pcs, are way less flexible, and are much less compatible with pretty much everything. the only reason people say they do better for movie editing etc is because... they do about the same as a midrange pc of the same price.
 ShadowGecko
06-15-2003, 7:02 AM
yeah, i heard that macs were only good for stuff like editing, like pr1mo said and other stuff like imaging... just drawing and multimedia stuff.
 setsuko
06-15-2003, 7:08 AM
Well, thanks for the non-insightful post, Pr1mo! j/k

Think is, there's things that macs does better than PCs. Bad thing is, you need a very expensive mac, and very expensive programs for it. I mean, there's a damn good reason why (virtually) everyone who's working professionally with graphic design use macs, and they do handle movie editing better. Though, they handle a good deal of other things worse, and that's why I stick to my PC no matter what. But saying that there's no nichй that the mac doesn't handle better is straight up lies.

Oh, and yes, to take 360 degrees screenshots, you'd need Quicktime. And that is mac country, so it won't happen in SWG (they won't pay the humongeous amount of money it would cost to include a registered version with every copy of SWG).

For recording demos, you need different programs depending on what game it is. Thing is, the program either registers everything that happens on the server, because that's the only way you can make a demo where you can check everything, or it registers only what you see, and that is worthless. And if you made a program that registered everything that happened on the server (which is very very difficult, and illegal, since it would require you to hack SOEs servers), the disadvantage would be that the movies would be huge.

So no, the chances of recording battles are very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very slim.

EDIT:

Here's how to make demos in Quake 3 Arena (http://www.planetquake3.net/tweak/demoexp.html), Half-life TV (http://ecsl.far2cool.com/hltv.aspx) (for HL or any HL mod, like counter-strike) and Unreal Tournament (http://www.planetunreal.com/utguide/demo.shtml). Hope it's helpful.
 Dark Moon
06-16-2003, 1:10 AM
Heh, I'm gonna tape a movie of me crafting :) :) Talk about ACTION-PACKED ... You know, what'd be really cool is taping a PA fight or something, especially with Jedi... See all the lightsabers ignite, and then hundreds of people rushing forward at each other, blasters firing, lightsabers swishing, people screaming, bones crunching!!!! *drool* Yeah, taping battles would be pretty neat...

Of course, spies could tape PA meetings and sell the information... :eek:
 Lord_Vessen
06-16-2003, 2:46 AM
Hey you could make how too videos on how to craft certain things. That would be cool. Or how about this. Someone makes a show like Trading Spaces or something. They could redecorate a house.
 UnfrozenCaveman
06-16-2003, 9:42 PM
My uncle is a MAC freak, I always tease him when something happens to it, par example, "Hey, I thought your MAC just fixes itself" ;)

EDIT: Set, you are very right on your point about photos and videos.
 Jatari Bazrak
06-16-2003, 10:14 PM
lol, "WHAT in the name of god did you do to MY house!"
hahahahaha.:p
 ShadowGecko
06-17-2003, 9:01 AM
Oh no, I don't want to see anymore reality TV for house or backyard make overs. In Australia, there are about 10 of them and they always have about a group of the same 4 people in each one. It's a pain in the arse. I mean, one network has about 4 different programs one after the other... ABOUT THE SAME FRIEKEN THING!!! I hate them...

For example (this isn't true, but it's the general idea)

Monday 7pm - Backyard Blitz

Tuesday 7pm - House calls to the Rescue

Wednesday 7pm - The Block

Thursday 7pm - LET'S RE DO A FRIEKEN BACKYARD FOR THE 100TH FRIEKEN TIME AND COPY OTHER FRIEKEN SHOWS WITH THE SAME FRIEKEN PEOPLE AND THEN MAKE A FRIEKEN SPECIAL WITH THE SAME FRIEKEN PEOPLE WHICH GOES FOR AN EXTRA HOUR!!!!!

this is very off-topic... I'd just like to get my point across....

*cough* pardon me
 UnfrozenCaveman
06-17-2003, 1:18 PM
I have a brilliant idea for a reality show....:D why don't we get a group of people, put them on an island. And they have to survive the elements and each other. And each week they have to vote off a member of their tribe. And the winner gets a year supply of chocolate gnorts. I say we could hold this on Corellia, in a remote place. I'd call it...."Survive each other and the Elements!" Tell me what you think :D
 setsuko
06-17-2003, 1:29 PM
Lol, well, since 'Survivor' originated in Sweden (under the far better name "Robinson"), I've watched it for like, eight years. Though, the addition of heavy weaponry is sure to improve the genre!
 Jan Gaarni
06-17-2003, 3:06 PM
Corellia is much too civilized.
Dathomir on the other hand. :D
 Jatari Bazrak
06-17-2003, 11:06 PM
we could call it 'battle of the clans"?;) just a sugestion.
or 'Witch your back' if it was on dathmor. :D
 Jan Gaarni
06-18-2003, 4:05 PM
Oh, and the easiest way I could think of to record your battles, or anything else, is either a VCR or a external DVD player. :)
 Lord_Vessen
06-18-2003, 7:17 PM
Well it seems official, in one of the Holocron Stories there was a part where...Just read it!

My first night in SWG was an excursion into the Kryat graveyard. It was one of the most stunning views I've ever seen! We didn't find any live ones, but the huge expanse of skeletons (both kryat and humaniod) were simply awe inspiring! To see how large the dragons must be made me a little glad we didn't run into any live ones. I took a ton of screenies and keep them very safe and secure for my memories of that adventure.

For those of you who don't care to read here it is

I took a ton of screenies and keep them very safe and secure for my memories of that adventure.
 setsuko
06-18-2003, 10:02 PM
Vessen: yes, screenshots. Noone has questioned the ability to take screenshots. However, recording movies, and especially, movies that are not restricted to your view, is the topic.

Yes, you can most likely find a third party program that can record 'what you see', that is, save the images on the screen as an mpg or something. Easier, yes, if you use a TV as a screen and record it on VHS. But you will not be able to record a movie where you can see anything else than what you see yourself on the screen; that would require the program to access all the traffic on the server, and you will not be able to do that.
 Lord_Vessen
06-19-2003, 12:03 AM
Well I could kind of care less about a movie. I would be cool but screen shots are enough for me!:D
 Kaiser Isaac
06-19-2003, 4:19 AM
yeah a movie would be relly cool
 Jatari Bazrak
06-19-2003, 4:07 PM
well you know you can take screenshots from eveyangle then put them in an animater and whatch them move around.
Page: 1 of 1