Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

IG-88 model help request???

Page: 1 of 1
 Imperial_thug
06-04-2003, 9:28 PM
Hi I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on how to get this animated?(see pic below) I want to make him into a Single-player character with a blaster rifle. I cant figure out the skeleton, the arms of my model don't really fit the way that the skeleton moves. They are not meant to move sideways only forward and backward. Do I need a custom skeleton for it or something? Could someone tell how to go about doing this, or what i need to do so I can accomplish what I wanna do with it? Or help me find a tutorial that pertains to this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

heres a pic, I hav'nt skinned it yet. Right now the model weighs in at 2330 polys.
http://users.route24.net/~mhuffman/IG88.jpg)
http://users.route24.net/~mhuffman/IG88.jpg)
btw I do animating in 3ds, I just prefer to model with rds because its so much more intuitive.
 Master_Payne
06-04-2003, 9:41 PM
Nice, but if you want it on JO you will need to adapt it to the skeleton and he will move like any other existing character.
If is only for SP you can try the protocol droid animations, but again nothing new.
 Imperial_thug
06-04-2003, 10:29 PM
How do I go about using the protocol droid animtations? does the protocol droid use the same skeleton? I have thought about it, The only way I can get this model to fit the standard humanoid skeleton is to rotate shoulders before I attache them so they will coincide with the skeletons' "relaxed" position. If I do that, how can I be sure that they will go back to the right way once in game? I cant help but feel that doing this will destroy the way this models shoulders are supposed to be.

If I succeed in doing this how do I create new animations to get him to move correctly? I dont want him to move like a human. Can I just not use a skeleton and create a hierarchy and just apply inverse kinematics? Would that work?

I know that there are models in the single player game that cant possibly use the standard humanoid skeleton, like the Imperial probe droid model, or the gonk model, or those flying balls. How did they animate those? Or I have seen a Jabba the hutt model and a droideka one, neither of those dont fit the shape of the skeleton, how did they get them animated and into the game??

I dont want to make this for multiplayer, I just want him as a single player character. I dont need lightsaber animations and stuff. All I want is for him to hold a blaster rifle and shoot at the player, maybe toss a grenade once in a while.

Why are'nt there any tutorials that cover this kinda crap? Does anyone who knows how to do it want to take this over for me? I dont care anymore, I made the mesh and all I wanna do is see this in-game, but it's becoming way to frustrating. Besides I dont know how to code AI.
 Psyk0Sith
06-04-2003, 11:41 PM
Well this kind of crap is very simple...all the multi player characters use the same animation file (_humanoid.gla) other non-player characters were probably animated manually and exported to .md3 format or have their own custom anim files.

If you have lots of experience as an animator, then yes, it is possible for you to create you own custom animations.

The problem is you have to find the animation sequences that are needed in multiplayer and animate those same frames in your scene (leave the other useless ones "blank") because there are 17,000 frames of animations if you want that player to be fully SP compatible.

I dunno if that makes any sense but this is the most straight forward method for doing this...until the GLA merge/anim tool is ready for public use.

It is also possible to create a custom skeleton but you have to follow the hierarchy of the default skeleton...i cant fully certify that a custom skeleton will work.

The current skeleton wouldnt handle your model as good as a custom one, but im sure its possible to make it work in some way.

I've made the Yarael Poof model cuz people had doubts his neck would work...its not perfect but i think it turned out pretty good.

What if you weighted only the main bones to give a rigid feel to the body? I agree that proportions are still a big issue.

Hope this helps a bit
 boinga1
06-05-2003, 1:35 PM
If you put him on the Proto-droid skeleton, he won't be player usable. To make him playable, you gotta use the humanoid.gla and the kyle skeleton and all that. Sweet model, btw.
 Crowy
06-05-2003, 11:20 PM
wouldnt have the slightest idea about your problem
i jsut wanted to tell you that your owrk is excellent :D
 __CKY__
06-07-2003, 2:22 AM
Very nice indeed.
Page: 1 of 1