Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jedi Figures In Each Box!

Page: 1 of 1
 TheBlueFlamingo
06-02-2003, 1:44 AM
Article from theforce.net says jedi figures will be in each JA game box.
Sounds like something from a cerrial box. Its a cool addition. For me it wouldn't make it my buying decision, but for a collector, maybe? Anyone out there a collecter? Ring in, tells us what you think.
HERE (http://www.theforce.net/games/index.shtml#21057)
 shock ~ unnamed
06-02-2003, 5:45 AM
I really don't care for stuff like that but I think it is a nice touch and quite cool for those who do collect stuff.

It's always nice when game companies throw in little perks for free.
 Kengo
06-02-2003, 6:16 AM
I'm no collector but it sounds good to me, I always love to see extras with games. Like you guys it wouldn't influence my decision to buy the game, but then that decision has already been made :)
 Toa Tahu
06-02-2003, 6:17 AM
Hmmm...nice touch.I like it,but...what's the purpose of it?And if you'd want to collect all,would you buy 3 boxes just to get either one of them?No offense,I like the idea but I just don't see its purpose.

P.S:OMG!A Rodian Jedi!
 HertogJan
06-02-2003, 6:47 AM
Hmm I'll only buy JA when I have the human Jedi ;)

Hehe, nah I'm, going ot buy it anywayz :D Nice touch tho, although I think it's only for the collector's edition...
 PrimoSidone
06-02-2003, 11:35 AM
thats sounds kinda cool
 babywax
06-02-2003, 12:13 PM
I love the idea, although it of course won't influence me to buy it, my mind is already made up, I still like it. Kind of like getting a cloth map with an RPG or something...
 SettingShadow
06-02-2003, 6:05 PM
If I get the Human Jedi, I'll be human, if I get the Rodian, I'll be Rodian, and if I get the Twi'lek, I'll be a Twi'lek :D .... nah, I'll be Kel Dor no matter what. Sounds pretty cool anyway... mmm, I hope I get the Rodian.. :D
 StormHammer
06-02-2003, 6:47 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if that offers limited exclusively to the US...

Anyway, it seems a bit pointless including those figures with JA IMHO. They would have been better off doing it for Jedi Outcast with a Kyle Katarn figure. But now they include one of 3 figures, when we've already been told you'll have about 2000 different looks for your character available in the game. Hmmm....

I've got nothing against extras, of course. An extra disc with the soundtrack to the game would be most welcome, as would a DVD version with a 'Making of' documentary complete with all the trailers, concept art, etc., which would be great. If they can do it for DVD movies, why not for games?

Oh well...move along...move along...
 HertogJan
06-02-2003, 7:00 PM
Yeah, I think they should include special full-length versions of the original trilogy and all 3 prequels... That's right, I want EPIII too, or else I won't buy JA :)

Nah who gives about action figures, it's the game we want!!
 Khaza
06-02-2003, 8:42 PM
... I would have prefered few extra multiplayer maps, coz there never is enough of them.
 Toa Tahu
06-03-2003, 6:03 AM
I agree with khaza.Other than that,they should spend the money used to build the figures by doing something better such as better models/graphics?
 Prime
06-03-2003, 3:09 PM
Originally posted by Toa Tahu
I agree with khaza.Other than that,they should spend the money used to build the figures by doing something better such as better models/graphics? That usually isn't how it works, especially since Raven is only the contractor in this case. Lucasarts give Raven a certain budget, and they make the best game they can from that. Lucasarts also will have another budget for marketing that is independant from the development budget. They two rarely get mixed together.
 StormHammer
06-03-2003, 3:58 PM
Prime is right. It even stated in the article that these figures are going to retail, so they will be making money from selling them. Hopefully some of that cash will make it's way back into game development, although it depends whether or not each division such as toys, games etc., pool resources. One can only hope...
 Solbe M'ko
06-03-2003, 8:47 PM
This is a step in the right direction. I am often tempted to just go DOWNLOAD a game off the internet, instead of fork over the green for it. But, you can't download a peice of plastic. I bought the Blizzard games (most of them. D2? NO) because they had really thick manuals with novellas, instead of just installation instructions. The extras won't change my mind on whether I play a game, just on whether I buy it or get a burn. Not to say that I burn ALL my games, just the ones I wouldn't otherwise play.

Ever since game makers stopped using manuals with codes as copy-protection, and instead using electronic protection, it has been far easier to crack (and far less mind numbing). Extras will help to sell copies for any game, especially if it is a good one. Action figures? Well, I'd really rather get a short story by Zahn or Stackpole, but it's better than nothing.
 JDKnite188
06-03-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Khaza
... I would have prefered few extra multiplayer maps, coz there never is enough of them.

Yup, definitely. Make the game better instead of giving out some cheap gimmick. How bout more CTF MAPS!
 Spider AL
06-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Khaza:

... I would have prefered few extra multiplayer maps, coz there never is enough of them.Nahh, attaining mastery of the default maps is what's important, not how many there are.

Originally posted by JDKnite188:

Yup, definitely. Make the game better instead of giving out some cheap gimmick. On the other hand, that's a good point.

I'd say that having figures in the box or not probably won't affect the programmers' budget or time constraints either way though, so hey. :D
 Prime
06-04-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Spider AL
I'd say that having figures in the box or not probably won't affect the programmers' budget or time constraints either way though, so hey. :D Most likely Raven has literally nothing to do with figures going in the box. Their budget won't be affected one way or another.
 Stormtrooper X
06-04-2003, 2:56 PM
Nahh, attaining mastery of the default maps is what's important, not how many there are.

On the other hand, that's a good point.

I'd say that having figures in the box or not probably won't affect the programmers' budget or time constraints either way though, so hey. :D

I agree with Prime, it's LucasArts decision whether or not there is the free figure. Raven will have to work harder, pushing back the release date.

Oh, and it says it's only for countries in Asia (I think(the figures)).
 Spider AL
06-06-2003, 9:17 AM
Originally posted by Stormtrooper X:

I agree with Prime, it's LucasArts decision whether or not there is the free figure. Raven will have to work harder, pushing back the release date. Uhh. I don't think that's what Prime was saying... I was under the impression (correct me if I err, Prime) that Prime was agreeing with me that since Lucasarts will be the people responsible for the figures, Raven would be unaffected by the presence of said figures.

Hence, the figures won't affect Raven's progress in making the game. Nor the quality of the game.
 SettingShadow
06-06-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Stormtrooper X
Oh, and it says it's only for countries in Asia (I think(the figures)).

Where did you read that?
 Prime
06-06-2003, 12:33 PM
Uhh. I don't think that's what Prime was saying... I was under the impression (correct me if I err, Prime) that Prime was agreeing with me that since Lucasarts will be the people responsible for the figures, Raven would be unaffected by the presence of said figures.

Hence, the figures won't affect Raven's progress in making the game. Nor the quality of the game. This is correct, and I was agreeing with you, Al :)

For a little clarification, the way it works is Lucasarts decides they want a new game. They have a development budget, and a marketing budget (amungst other things). They contract Raven to develop the game, and they give them a certain amount to do it (the dev budget). Raven knows and cares nothing about what is in the marketing budget, since it does not affect them in any way. Once they are done the game, they give it to Lucasarts, and Lucasarts markets the game based on what is in the marketing budget.

Putting figures in the box comes from the marketing budget, and so Raven cares nothing about it, because it does not affect them. :)
 boinga1
06-06-2003, 6:39 PM
those figs seem kinda familiar...like i've seen them before or something...
Page: 1 of 1