Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Gollum

Page: 2 of 4
 jp-30
06-23-2003, 8:30 PM
This is good timing. I just finished my first batch of object skins for the Dark Forces Mod (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1200528) .

I won't be home to check my email for 8 hours or so, but am already looking forward to getting there to have a crack...
 Hindy
06-25-2003, 6:14 PM
I take it the files were ok then JP? Were the skinmaps alright, that is only my third go at unwrapping models and its an area I need to improve...

Good luck I look forward to seing your work :D
 jp-30
06-25-2003, 7:25 PM
Yeah. All good. I've never skinned "from scratch" before, and with al those huge areas of flesh, it'll take a little longer than the normal ones where clothes cover most of the body.

But I've made a start, and I'll share progress as I continue.

:)
 Hindy
06-25-2003, 8:16 PM
Cool, I checked my email after posting that. If you need any help or better reference you know where I am and I ll try my best to help ya out...

Try this (http://www.quintessentialwebsites.com/lordoftherings/home/index.htm) for more pics as its got tons of good pics.
 jp-30
06-27-2003, 9:41 AM
OK, so I think I'll keep everyone up to date on skinning progress.

I finally got to have a good play with the model (it's awesome, Hindy).

This is just a preliminary stage where I make a collage of existing textures (his back and legs are from my Slave Leia skin), and some bits and pieces I cut out of photos (his chest, arms and face) to get everything aligned, and to work as my guide.

So PLEASE don't tell me my seams show, theres a big cross on his back, the calves suck, and that the colours are wrong etc. Again, these are preliminary guide textures!

Having said that I doubt the face will need a lot more work, it came together very well indeed.

So, anyways, here's where I'm at after my first hour or two's mucking around.

http://www.hansen.net.nz/skins/gollum-wip1.jpg)

I'll let you know when there's something new to show...

Hindy
06-27-2003, 2:22 PM
Hey man it looks like ya off to a solid start... I take it the maps are holding up ok!It looks as if you are following the contours of the rib cage, they are taken fron the WETA model sheet so should be quite accurate.

Also Hellfire reported the left ankle needed to be tweaked when he tested it in game, have you noticed any probs?

Look forward to your next update :D
 Hellfire Jedi
06-27-2003, 3:02 PM
Also, make sure you put anim's or whatever in the hand, so taunts make hte fingers move.
 SiThLoRd><1000
06-27-2003, 10:24 PM
"Smeagol...Why do you cry, Smeagol?"
"I told you theys was tricksy, I told yous theys was false..."

Hehe, sorry. Couldn't control it. Wow... That model looks quite amazing. I'm glad people are bringing the LotR characters to JK2. Nice job and good luck on finishing him. This is a sure download.
 jp-30
06-27-2003, 10:25 PM
Hey man it looks like ya off to a solid start... I take it the maps are holding up ok!It looks as if you are following the contours of the rib cage, they are taken fron the WETA model sheet so should be quite accurate.

Maps are great, and yeah I'm mapping the ribs onto the contours etc. :)

Also Hellfire reported the left ankle needed to be tweaked when he tested it in game, have you noticed any probs?

I haven't had the chance to view it in game as yet.

Look forward to your next update

Probably a few days away - I have a busy weekend ahead.
 Crowy
06-27-2003, 11:10 PM
looks like your skinning work is up to that very high standards you have jp-30, excellent work dude
 Hindy
06-28-2003, 3:26 PM
Totally off topic but dunno whether you lot are aware Im gonna enter the NVIDIA Unreal Tournament Comp in the best model catergory... Well would ya like me to post me concept drawings for ya to look at?, it might plug the gap till JP-30 posts another update.
 SiThLoRd><1000
06-29-2003, 2:50 AM
That be really great to see! We want to have something to do this weekend ;)
 Crowy
06-29-2003, 4:44 AM
that would be neato to see hindy....
good luck with the comp!!!
 Hindy
07-08-2003, 10:39 PM
JP you still alive?

Sorry about the concept pics I was being lazy and couldn't be bothered to upload them but the model is nearly done just tweaking now so I ll post some pics soon
 jp-30
07-08-2003, 10:43 PM
Yeah. I've been laid up with a stomach bug for best part of last week. Got lots to catch up on work wise.

Should be seeing some major progress on the skin soon - I think I have a free weekend looming.

(ie. I'll try to get the thing close to finished before next week - at a stage where it just needs subtle tweaking pending feedback, and maybe shader work if we're going to do a near "invisible" version too).
 Hindy
07-08-2003, 10:49 PM
Man hope ya feeling better ;) . There's no hurry, take your time Im sure it ll be worth it! Do you need any more refermce pics or anything?
 jp-30
07-08-2003, 10:51 PM
The more the merrier. Especially of his back - gotta get those boney spine protrusions just right!
 Hindy
07-08-2003, 10:54 PM
Your wish is my command... just got hold of a leaked dvd so I ll mail you some pics within the next day or two.
 The Cheat
07-08-2003, 10:54 PM
wow this is looking awesome, are you gonna do more modeling with the feet?
 jp-30
07-08-2003, 10:56 PM
The feet'll look fine once I skin 'em.
 Hindy
07-08-2003, 10:57 PM
Hi no Im quite satisfied with the modeling... The feet look pretty good, it was my first stab at bare feet and they have quite a good shape. They also have a seperate big toe to make it look more foot like which Im sure JP will confirm as its not too clear in the pics.
 The Cheat
07-08-2003, 11:16 PM
ok thanks for clearing that up, cant wait to see this model in action:)
 Hindy
07-09-2003, 12:29 PM
Hi here is the model sheet for my concept character...

http://members.lycos.co.uk/inureye/hpbimg/Concept_modelsheet01.jpg)

And a render of her so far...

http://members.lycos.co.uk/inureye/hpbimg/Concept_render.jpg)

Cheers
 Hindy
07-09-2003, 12:41 PM
Suppose I better tell ya where I coming from with this idea. Well I wanted to model a female as I hadn't modeled one before now and I wanted her to look girly but hard, so I got a really feminine face with a harsh shaven head... The face is based off the lovely Jessica Alba mostly cos of lips and eyes.

Onto the body, well that started off completly human but I felt it looked too "Lara Croft" so I began playing with mechanical parts. Below the hips is completely mechanical and so is the left arm mainly for mobility and strength. The top is skin tight to show the female form and to contrast with the mechanical parts... The leg things (whatever they are called!) are inspired from the very Western "gunslinger" look she had in her completely human form.

Ok thats it... Oh yeah she dont have a name yet! So any suggestions welcome, also Im undecided over the colour of the trouser thingy's

C ya
 The Cheat
07-09-2003, 1:07 PM
that looks great hindy, i wish you luck in this competitions
 jp-30
07-15-2003, 8:21 PM
Managed to sneak in another couple of hours work on Gollum's skin last night.

Things are progressing nicely, and after my next session (hopefully this evening) I will post another WIP screenshot.

I'm aiming to have him finished sometime next week. :)

I could still do with a good reference picture of his back, though....
 Hindy
07-16-2003, 5:35 AM
Sorry man totally forgot about the pics! I ve been modeling a car, the above concept model and started on Princess Leia so been quite busy. I going to work now (literally) so I ll mail you tonight if I find my TTT disc as I think I lent it out.
 jp-30
07-17-2003, 8:50 AM
As promised, WIP shot #2. Probably ~50% done it this stage. At first glance it probably looks nearly identical to my first skin WIP shot above. But there's a lot more done, it's just sometimes not particularly obvious!

Still need to;
add more definition & detail to arms, legs, back & feet.
Ensure seams are all nicely blended.
Write transparency shader to make skirt more "ropey & dangley".

http://www.hansen.net.nz/skins/gollum-wip2.jpg)
 Eldritch
07-17-2003, 1:45 PM
Don't make it too ropey - no one wants to see his dangly. :D

Seriously though, nice work on the model, and good job on the skin. The skin does seem a bit light, though. JO has a tendency to lighten the color of the skins in-game, so you might want to consider making them slightly darker so that they appear correct in-game.
 The Cheat
07-17-2003, 9:00 PM
looks great, you are an awesome skinner jp
 Hindy
07-18-2003, 5:37 AM
Yeah man looking good ;)
 jp-30
07-29-2003, 8:59 PM
"almost there, almost there..."

Just the feet to go now! :D
 Hindy
07-30-2003, 4:41 PM
No worries I ve been too busy playing Star Wars Galaxies too even worry about modeling... Look forward to seeing the end product :)
 The Cheat
07-30-2003, 7:19 PM
sweetness, i cant wait to see the finished skin
 jp-30
08-07-2003, 9:24 AM
Getting closer... getting closer... honest I am!

http://www.hansen.net.nz/skins/gollum-ingame1.jpg)

Hindy, did the beta tester tell you about gaps in the model? Namely the joins between neck & torso, arm & wrist & torso & hips?

You may have even sent me an updated pk3, I just can't recall... (swapped PC's in the middle of skinning, etc)
 [JKZ]_Yun
08-07-2003, 10:24 AM
Nice skin man keep the good working :)
 flick_strife
08-07-2003, 1:38 PM
the eyes need replacement and the hand has clipping issues
 Hellfire Jedi
08-07-2003, 1:51 PM
Hand has clipping issues? You smoking something? :p
 Eldritch
08-07-2003, 5:17 PM
The hand clipping looks to be as good as it's going to get. It always clips a little bit, even with some of the stock models.

As for the eyes, well, I have to disagree. I think the eyes look good. My only suggestion would be to slightly darken the details on his face and maybe add a few wisps of hair on his head using shaders.
 jp-30
08-07-2003, 6:36 PM
Since giving me the original pk3, Hindy may have "overlapped" the wrists & the arms to eliminate the gaps. And they may also just be a product of my PC's resolution & graphics settings.

Also if you play this guy with a scaling mod (as intended), the gaps will also reduce and may be eliminated from view.

I think the eyes look good. My only suggestion would be to slightly darken the details on his face and maybe add a few wisps of hair on his head using shaders.

I'm pretty happy with the eyes too.

http://www.lordoftherings.net/legend/gallery/images/gollum/gollum4.jpg)

Yeah, a lot of the detail on the texture file gets lost in-game.

I'm not at the highest texture setting for those shots. But I will try and darken some of the features and add darker hair strands (they're there, but they're hard to see in those screenies).

Some of the more "delicate" features are wiped out on that montage due to my 3D card, the gamma correction needed on the screenshots, the resizing of the screenshots from 1024x768 to ~750x550 and finally the JPG compression of the montage.
 Psyk0Sith
08-07-2003, 9:47 PM
Lookin good!
 Hellfire Jedi
08-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Can I get a amen Psyk0?
 jp-30
08-07-2003, 10:46 PM
LOL. You guys are too kind.

Most of the credit should go to Hindy, though. Wonderful model!

I feel pretty bad for the time it's taken me to get the skin together, but it does seem to be shaping up pretty well. I'd hate to have taken this long and it to turn out crap.

Guess Gollum should be released ASAP before everyone's off distracted with JA in a months time.

Still, all the JO models will work in JA, so that's a huge plus! :D

I have nothing much on tonight, so I hope to do the final tweaking and get the JPGs to Hindy for the pk3. I hope he has the sounds all compiled & ready to go!

Any suggestions for team colours? Obviously the loincloth. Other than that there's not a lot to colour. :( Maybe a subtle flesh tint, but that might look terrible.
 Crowy
08-08-2003, 2:19 AM
perhaps you could have some kinda tattoos for red and blue versions... it could look alright... doubt it would though!!! just a humble suggestion
 Kain
08-08-2003, 3:01 AM
His loincloth and his strands of hair would work for teams
 jp-30
08-08-2003, 3:21 AM
Yeah. Maybe red pupils for the red team too, not that you'll get to see them in-game a whole lot...

And maybe some blue bruises and red wounds too.

Anyway I'll have a play around, I'm sure it'll all work out .
 jp-30
08-09-2003, 2:52 AM
OK, my work here is done ;)

For some reason the proposed transparency shader to make the loincloth more "ropey" wouldn't work, but I think it looks fine as-is. Maybe Hindy can give it a go if he feels so inclined.

I'd also considered trying to use the shadowtrooper shaders to make an "invisible" version of Gollum wearing the Ring, but this hasn't eventuated either.

Anyway, here's how the skin shapes up. I'll be sending Hindy the pk3 with all my textures in a few minutes.

As you can see I put him in shackles (neck, wrists & left leg) to help with team colour variation.

http://www.hansen.net.nz/skins/gollum-screenshot1.jpg)

http://www.hansen.net.nz/skins/gollum-screenshot2.jpg)
 Mex
08-09-2003, 9:06 AM
:eek: Holy cow! :eek: Man thats good! *Drops on floor*

I can't wait to use that. Can. Not. Wait!
 Hellfire Jedi
08-09-2003, 10:45 AM
I hope the beta tester gets that copy. :D The first beta was good enough, now a skinned one!!!!!!!!
 [JKZ]_Yun
08-09-2003, 11:17 AM
the hair on the modview sux but in game it ROX! :)
Page: 2 of 4