Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Playing with a modem

Page: 1 of 1
 Elemonkey
05-29-2003, 3:42 AM
Hey out there!!:) I have a question. The location I currently live at does not support broadband connection so I have been wondering if SWG will run well with a modem. If anyone knows please shed some light on this for me.

Thanx lots!!!
 Jan Gaarni
05-29-2003, 8:53 AM
Yes, if it's 56kb modem, it will run. :)

And:

Welcome to the
SWGalaxies.Net Forums!!! :)

I'm Jan Gaarni, XO of the Official Welcomming Committee and Moderator of this place.
The 2 other Moderators here are Wraith 8 and Darth_Sidious.

Be sure to check out the Read This First (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=71572) thread at the top of this forum, as it contains some guidelines on how to behave, if you haven't all ready. :)

Most here are friendly and the aggression level is far from what you will find in the Official SWG Boards (http://www.starwarsgalaxies.com), so I'm sure you will like it here.

Please feel free to stay as long as you want. :)

And have some chocolate covered gnorts (http://www.swgalaxies.net/extras/chocognort.jpg). :D Complementary Juztyn, the Admin of these boards and SWGalaxies.Net (http://www.swgalaxies.Net). :p

Also be sure to check out the SWGalaxies.Net (http://www.swgalaxies.net) site which is connected to these forums. :)

We hope you enjoy your stay here on the SWGalaxies.Net Forums. :)
 Dark Moon
05-29-2003, 3:37 PM
I have a 56k and I was worried about that too, but thanks for clearing that up Jan. I just hope it doesn't lag...

Oh, and by the way, another great welcome Jan ;)
 Jatari Bazrak
05-29-2003, 5:31 PM
The link to the gnorts doesn't work..
And what do you expect he is The lord of the welcome after all.
 Jan Gaarni
05-29-2003, 5:50 PM
Don't worry, Jatari, it'll be up again. :)

The whole SWGalaxies.Net site has been unavailable all day.
 Pr1mo
06-08-2003, 3:49 PM
56k modems will probably lag big time in a game such as star wars galaxies though, concidering in simple games like starcraft and diablo a 56k modem lags like hell, not to mention semi complex games like half-life/mods and other shooters
 Jan Gaarni
06-08-2003, 5:29 PM
Well, those are shooters, they're not MMORPGs. :)

MMORPGs sends and recieves alot less data than a shooter game, or Starcraft and the likes.

Lag can be caused by many things too. You can have the best connection in the world, and it won't matter if you have the first computer in the world. Too little RAM can cause lag. Not good enough graficscards can cause lag. CPU too slow, causing lag.

So if you're on a 56k modem, be sure that your computer can handle the game, and more. ;)
If it is, I don't think you'll have much trouble with a 56k modem.
 sexxxy_mark
06-08-2003, 6:53 PM
just see how your 56gay modem serves you.

i agree with jan
a good computer with at least 256-512 mb MINimum
and
a fairly decent graphics card geforce 3 or 4 minimum
and
a good cpu....1.2ghz and above maybe lower.

but once u go broadband, you will never want to go back to 56gay.
turst me.
i have dsl and live too far from the backbone so my top download speed is 786k which i rarely get, plus i share my connection with 3 other brothers.

i thirst for bigger bandwidth. its a curse.
i am soon to go charter cable.
 setsuko
06-08-2003, 9:51 PM
Bandwith is always a good thing. But it's not like you need a T1 connection to play MMORPGs. That means, as long as you pay flatrate for your modem. In Sweden, you don't, which means that serious online gaming is impossible on modem, since it will cost you major bucks each months - luckily, we have one of the most developed broandband and cable networks in the world. But still, the lack of flatrate is a major hindrance of MMORPGs gaining market shares over here.

Oh well, getting off topic again. My point is: a good, reliable 56kb connection will work. In MMORPGs, the stability of your connection is far more important than your speed. I've seen players with cables getting killed by lag and even getting disconnected dozens of times in the same day, while there's modem users out there who has never experienced the horror of lag death. Stability, not speed: that's what you should aspire.
 Xx_Patman_xX
06-08-2003, 9:56 PM
56k is waaaay more reliable than my cable.
 setsuko
06-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Exactly, Patman. You are bound to experience a lot more problem with a fast but unstable connection. A slow but steady connection might make the game seem a but sluggish and unresponsive at times, but an unstable connection will give you more problems, since the instances of lag are less predictable, so you never know when you'll be eaten alive without being able to respond.

Me, I go for both bandwith and stability, which is a cheesy way to solve it. But then, I'm a yellow-bellied bastard. ;)
 Xx_Patman_xX
06-08-2003, 10:27 PM
How do you find out your bandwith? I want to post it and you guys to tell me if its good or not.
 setsuko
06-08-2003, 10:53 PM
How you find out your bandwith? When you want to find out ANYTHING about your computer, who do you call? Well, noone other than Captain Benchmark, of course!

Benchmarking is the only reliable way to find out information about your computer's performance. I'm not one of those who benchmarks everything, but it can be convenient at times. For a bandwith benchmarking tool, look for Google. Actually, I have no idea which ones are good or not. But if you are lazy (and who isn't?), then there's supposed to be some here (http://www.top-only.com/c5.html). Happy benchmarking!
 sexxxy_mark
06-09-2003, 5:29 AM
Originally posted by setsuko
Me, I go for both bandwith and stability, which is a cheesy way to solve it. But then, I'm a yellow-bellied bastard. ;)

haha.
i have stable dsl and it feels so good.
i just want to beable to download faster.
must
go
faster
 swediot=)
06-09-2003, 6:22 AM
i have stable dsl.... except it goes spycho when the phone rings which is why i play games early morning or late night and on weekends... yeh it shouldnt go spycho when the phone rings .. but it does
 Jan Gaarni
06-09-2003, 6:36 AM
LOL, then it's not stable, Swediot. :p
 setsuko
06-09-2003, 8:19 AM
You truly take the words out of my mouth today, gaarni. ;)
 Jackrabbit
06-09-2003, 12:22 PM
This is a little off topic, and a little ranting, but it makes me really angry when people make fun of 56k users (I'm not talking about anybody on here, except maybe mark :), just in general). I have 56k. Why? Because I can't get anything else. That's it, plain and simple. It doesn't hinder me at all though. I play online FPSs, and am usually in the top 3. When I surf the board, I usually have so many windows open that I have to *scroll* through them on the taskbar. I've filled 2 40gig harddrives in 3 months. Hell, I'm glad I don't have cable, because I would have filled my new 80gig as well :). My speed has just recently jumped to 45.2, which is great, but that only happened a couple weeks ago. It used to be 26.6kb, and that's when I was in my prime :D.

So, to all those that get 786k max (the max cable users get around here is 300k), :p :p :p.

P.S. This is all in jest (even though it’s all true), so please don’t get angry anybody.
 sexxxy_mark
06-09-2003, 4:18 PM
Originally posted by Jackrabbit
This is a little off topic, and a little ranting, but it makes me really angry when people make fun of 56k users (I'm not talking about anybody on here, except maybe mark :), just in general). I have 56k. Why? Because I can't get anything else. That's it, plain and simple. It doesn't hinder me at all though. I play online FPSs, and am usually in the top 3. When I surf the board, I usually have so many windows open that I have to *scroll* through them on the taskbar. I've filled 2 40gig harddrives in 3 months. Hell, I'm glad I don't have cable, because I would have filled my new 80gig as well :). My speed has just recently jumped to 45.2, which is great, but that only happened a couple weeks ago. It used to be 26.6kb, and that's when I was in my prime :D.

So, to all those that get 786k max (the max cable users get around here is 300k), :p :p :p.

P.S. This is all in jest (even though it’s all true), so please don’t get angry anybody.

excuuuuuuuuuse me.
perhaps u misinterpreted my CLEAR arguement.
i am not making FUN of 56gay (i call it that cuz it was gay when i was on 56k).
i am merely explaining that broadband makes you say "wow", and you would much rather be on it than 56k.
broadband just makes the experience better.
if 56k is all u can get, so what.
am i saying u live in a deserted island or something or are poor as a hobo? no. (i still am not, but its starting to get insinuated.)
wtf jackrabbit?
i used to be on 56k i know how all the 56kers feel.

to tell u the truth, i know ALOT of ppl that would rather have broadband and unstable rather than 56k.
that just enables me to point and laugh at them when their cable goes down. (of coarse they are my friends and they take no offense). besides, most broadband users have dial up access as well (included in the plan).

LIGHT THE FIRE JACKRABBIT!
heh heh.

bottome line of the beginning question of this thread:
YES, you should be fine on your 56k modem.
 Jan Gaarni
06-09-2003, 5:50 PM
So, to all those that get 786k max (the max cable users get around here is 300k)
I find that rather hard to believe.
The max you get in this country is somewhere above 1000. :D
What country did you say you were from again? :)
Or did I missunderstand that?
 Sunshine Badass
06-09-2003, 6:53 PM
He could be talking about where he lives, as in his city/town, and not his country. We hardly talk about our country.:rolleyes:
 Jan Gaarni
06-09-2003, 7:44 PM
Ah, then I definatly missunderstood that. :D
 Jackrabbit
06-10-2003, 1:01 AM
I'm sorry mark :o. I wasn't trying to flame, I was just getting rowdy :). And, you know, I had to defend my manhood (56k) :D. Sorry that I kind of pointed my post at you, it was meant to be fun. Come on, let's forget our differences, and bridge the gap between 56k users and broadband users :D.

:: opens arms and waits for the hug::

...well, if you're not the hugging type, I understand...

Oh, and yeah, I was talking about the town I live in. It's very small, you see, and in the middle of a vast space of nothingness. When using cable at a friend's house, the fastest I've ever seen is around 300k.
 Jatari Bazrak
06-10-2003, 2:25 AM
wow...
well since we're back from screaming our heads of.;)
I have cable and when we first got it, it was great and it's never gone wako or anything. and now we have a wireless connection and that one doesn't go wako ether. but we used to have 56k. and that most of the time never worked for us.

But we're happy and you guys are happy.plain and simple.:D
 Lord_Vessen
06-10-2003, 3:28 AM
Well I like cable so...
 UnfrozenCaveman
06-10-2003, 3:06 PM
I think the only advantage broadband has over 56k is the download speed of patches as well as in cities. But of course, this isn't always true, everyone will experience lag at one point or another.

I'm pretty mad at what's been happening with my connection lately. I don't have a modem, so my dad and I networked our cpu's. The thing is, sometimes he's connected and then for some reason I lose my internet connection even though our network connection is still working. Any ideas? I happens a lot and it's such a pain when playing Galaxies! Give me your thoughts...and i'll probably be getting DSL this september.
 ryanalot
06-10-2003, 3:29 PM
hey, i have cable modem and i was wondering if people with 56k would lag me

:chew1
 setsuko
06-10-2003, 4:40 PM
No, Ryan. Other's connections won't matter a thing to you. The only thing that matters is your connection to the server, and since players can't make their own servers, their connection doesn't matter at all. Oh, other than that you can get in a few free shots if you play a lot of PvP and your enemies connections sucks.
 Lord_Vessen
06-10-2003, 11:19 PM
Well said. Lag really hurts in online shoot 'em ups though.
 sexxxy_mark
06-11-2003, 9:20 PM
Originally posted by Jackrabbit
I'm sorry mark :o. I wasn't trying to flame, I was just getting rowdy :). And, you know, I had to defend my manhood (56k) :D. Sorry that I kind of pointed my post at you, it was meant to be fun. Come on, let's forget our differences, and bridge the gap between 56k users and broadband users :D.

:: opens arms and waits for the hug::

...well, if you're not the hugging type, I understand...

Oh, and yeah, I was talking about the town I live in. It's very small, you see, and in the middle of a vast space of nothingness. When using cable at a friend's house, the fastest I've ever seen is around 300k.

hehe
well u understand that i had to retaliate.

no problems.
i mean, man. i've been in your situation with the good 'ol 56k speed =/

u know what will suck tho...
downloading the patches when u log on...

i beta tested for planetside, and omg i had to leave my computer on for like 4 hours for the patch to finish.

translate that onto 56k download speed =/
 Xx_Patman_xX
06-11-2003, 9:22 PM
Next week iam getting my cable upgraded (or something like that) so hopefully my cable will become more reliable.
 sexxxy_mark
06-12-2003, 10:45 PM
i forgot to mention.
if u have TERRIBLY unstable broadband service, u should call and complain. and i mean COMPLAIN.

my friend was experiencing 56k like ping on his 1.5mb cable line.
so he called and bitched.
and for 3 days straight, they worked on the line, i mean physically with the cables and stuff in the neighborhood.

his download speed now is 500k at least (actual, "save target as" kinda speed).

i was at his house and i was downloading from www.microsoft.com) @ 500k, i was so amazed.
 Kaiser Isaac
06-15-2003, 2:42 PM
i Have 56k and my connction only connects at 45-46-48k (it jumps around)........So i calles up my isp......And they said a 56k connction is impossibly to have........A phone line can only hold like 53k.......And he said if i was getting a 45k connection i was lucky........But i dont see the luck because i often lose connection to Battle field 1942.......But i have to wait and see.......:(
 UnfrozenCaveman
06-17-2003, 1:23 PM
56k ownz. :)
 big_bob_the1st
06-22-2003, 8:04 PM
I'm just happy that 56k will work. I got that and i hate it. Unfortunalty this backward country i live in doesn't have broadband everywhere yet, and before u ask, yes i do live on an island but it ain't got no desert. And i don't have a flat monthly rate. I'm still going to spend every waking minute playing tho.

A question tho, will you be able to play from a laptop and move around?? I haven't played any MMORPG's for the reason i mention at the top of this reply but I'm a SW fanatic so...
 Wedg Antilles
07-03-2003, 1:26 PM
I got 56k and it gets worse by the hour, but my sister needs brodband for school and I might get lucky in a few weeks.

Q: does anyone have a Radeon 9700 pro?:lightning :slsaber:
 Jatari Bazrak
07-04-2003, 9:35 PM
Big_bob_the1st: yeah you can as long as your hooked up to an internet connection. because you only need the CD's for installing.
 clanfalcon
07-29-2003, 5:12 PM
Sorry to post on this subject again. I've read through the other post that's already up but I wasn't sure about this.

I was going to buy Galaxies on import but will it work on 56k here in the good ol UK? I've got AOL which isn't bad. But it isn't great. I can play games like Red Alert 2 online ok and a couple others such as HL and the mods.

I take it Galaxies isn't heavy going in the sense that you don't run round gunning everything?

I've very little idea what the running of the game is like not having seen any videos etc.

Many Thanks For Any Help!!!
Page: 1 of 1